• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Asia Cup 2004 Thread

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
well i am sure the indian fans would be complaining as well if it had worked out against them...

Pakistan have lost one game in the tournament (a heavy defeat to Sri Lanka) and won 3 (including an easy win vs India)

India have won 2 games (vs Bang and UAE) and have lost 2 games (vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan)

Normal logic would suggest that SL are the top ranked team,then Pakistan then India...but somehow India have more points...whats that all about.

It is Sri Lankas perogative to field which ever team they want to in the last game, but all that has certainly worked in Indias favour...and if India do somehow win this tournanment, they will have to thank their lucky stars.

No doubt if India do win, all we will hear from certain memebers of this forum, is how brilliant India re etc...when really we all know the truth.
Infact Pakistani are not complaining, Indians would have surely complained a lot more.

But I would take a win/cup rather than complaining abt flawed system

But let India win this one first, by the looks of it, they ain't playing good and I am sure many forum members would consider India lucky, if they win

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yep.. also gives dravid a little more rest just incase if india make the finals.. i dont think the indian fans will want him to have some freak injury of over doing his game..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The running between wickets was awful. Look at Sehwag's gentle push to mid-on, there were two runs to take, but he just walked. You cannot win World cups by walking between wickets, but by running.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
neither will he get 200 with that attitude..
That's not his job. There are three great players who can aim for that target. His job is to get 100-150 in 70 balls instead, and bowl 7 overs of off-spin.

Good return by Sanath from the field.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Swervy said:
Pakistan have lost one game in the tournament (a heavy defeat to Sri Lanka) and won 3 (including an easy win vs India)

India have won 2 games (vs Bang and UAE) and have lost 2 games (vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan)

Normal logic would suggest that SL are the top ranked team,then Pakistan then India...but somehow India have more points...whats that all about.
Erm... you missed a major point there. Pakistan played Bang and Hong Kong in the league stages while India played UAE and SRL. So if India and Sri Lanka were in that group even they would have got two wins as well. So basing on the league matches is not correct imo unless it is SRL in that dicey position. In the league system, if India wins today's match, then each team has won two games. So the team which suffered the worst loss would be eliminated and Pakistan was the team to suffer that worst loss. IMO it is a good method and so is the D/L method though it has received a lot of criticism for no fault of it after that WC Game.

What is the diff between Indian fans who would have whinged and you, if both are doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
V Reddy said:
Erm... you missed a major point there. Pakistan played Bang and Hong Kong in the league stages while India played UAE and SRL. So if India and Sri Lanka were in that group even they would have got two wins as well. So basing on the league matches is not correct imo unless it is SRL in that dicey position. In the league system, if India wins today's match, then each team has won two games. So the team which suffered the worst loss would be eliminated and Pakistan was the team to suffer that worst loss. IMO it is a good method and so is the D/L method though it has received a lot of criticism for no fault of it after that WC Game.

What is the diff between Indian fans who would have whinged and you, if both are doing the same thing.
well to me it defies logic that if Team A who has played the same number of games as Team B has won less games and has actually been easily beaten by Team B, has more points than Team B and so is at an advantage over Team A...or maybe I am missing something here

Dont really know where D/L method comes into play here

shankar

International Debutant
Swervy said:
well to me it defies logic that if Team A who has played the same number of games as Team B has won less games and has actually been easily beaten by Team B, has more points than Team B and so is at an advantage over Team A...or maybe I am missing something here

Dont really know where D/L method comes into play here
The first round matches dont come into consideration because this tournament starts afresh from the second round. India have more points at the end of the Pak match because they've played Bangladesh while Pak havent. I dont see what the problem is.

Swervy

International Captain
shankar said:
The first round matches dont come into consideration because this tournament starts afresh from the second round. India have more points at the end of the Pak match because they've played Bangladesh while Pak havent. I dont see what the problem is.

ok...didnt realise points werent carried through from the first round (which does raise the matter of that part of the tournament being just a waste of time...but there you go).

Its just i dont like it when teams who havent played well go through and teams who have done better, because of some quirky rule, dont.

I think the ICC or whoever (I guess it is tournament authorities or some sort) need to really look at the benefits of this bonus point thing..I just cant see why net run rate isnt sufficient to distinguish between teams who have equal number of wins in a league type tournament

NikhilN

International Regular
what just happened in the last over of zaheer? 21 runs! 2 chances...first one goes through the slip area with no slips...next one when there is a slip at 2nd slip it goes through first slip...WTF!?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Anil said:
sl will still win it....
Funny to juxtapose this sentence with your signature... :)

Terrible loss for the Sri Lankans, although they probably won't care. Why did Zoysa come in so late? It's like they threw it away.

Gotta feel sorry for Pakistan.

Swervy

International Captain
Slow Love™ said:

Terrible loss for the Sri Lankans, although they probably won't care. Why did Zoysa come in so late? It's like they threw it away.

yeah i feel sorry for Pakistan...India certainly had the advantage of playing a weakened Sri Lankan team

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:

my signature doesn't say whether i am an optimist or a pessimist, does it?
:D

boy! am i glad to have been wrong! :) :) :D :D :p :p