• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Asia Cup 2004 Thread

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
i'm not sure if the indians can really be blamed here. the pakistanis played good cricket & indians are terrible chasing runs under pressure. The indians lack a senior man in the middle who posesses a calm head, sure there's dravid but india is in dire need of a old war horse. The past greats if you noticed would never crumble under pressure, azharuddin, miandad,arjuna would always put there head down and play themselves in and then pace out theire innings. This is what india lacks, a batsmen who can pace out the innings well. if you noticed mahela and kumar did it well for the lankans.

it's all fine and dandy when there's a lot of exciting new talent in the team but youth and inexperience will not always fire. The seniors like dravid and ganguly should realise the importance and their role in the team and take pressure off tendulkar, tendulkar should bat lower down in the order in order to bring some stability and balance to the batting line up. ganguly and sehwag should open so the opening bowlers have a left and right hand combo to work with.

india will face a youthful SL team tomorrow and have everychance of bagging this. But watch out for the "lankan thomo" and the two hard hitting batsmen jayantha and kandhamby.

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
arjiz how can you be so sure India are going to win against Sri Lanka tomorrow? SL are the top team in this tournamemnt. I mean the way India are playing right now...they don't deserve to be in the finals. But I do hope they put in a good performance tomorrow.
Well, often in the past, I've contemplate whether to listen to my heart or my brain. This time, I just have a strong feeling that India are going to win this one. Obviously I have no way of knowing, it's just a gut feeling.

True, Lanka are the top team till now. But look how quicly the 'favourites' tag changes. After just the solitary loss against SL, India lost that tag. If India win tomorrow, fans will scream insults at Pakistan for not reaching the final.

The mind of most Asian cricket fans is very fickle.

RealPk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
biased indian said:
so y didnt they plan like that aganist SL :D :D
No, it was just a bad day of the batsman...
There was noone really organised of this all what happened...
For example the out of Inzamam...
He kicked the ball with his leg into the stumps...
After that, Youhana came and got out of a very unlucky run out...
The Pakistanis were in good form, but this day wasnt their day...
And im sure, if the Pakistanis come in the final, they will beat Sri Lanka, or would them make the dream of the Asia Cup very very difficult..
But if India comes in the final, the pressure will be more on Sri Lanka, because they lost the game against India...
And exactly this the Sri Lankan team will do to prevent....

And if their best team will play, i mean if Zoysa is also included , then it will be very difficult for the Indians.....

Sehwag309

Banned
RealPaki said:
No, it was just a bad day of the batsman...
There was noone really organised of this all what happened...
For example the out of Inzamam...
He kicked the ball with his leg into the stumps...
After that, Youhana came and got out of a very unlucky run out...
The Pakistanis were in good form, but this day wasnt their day...
And im sure, if the Pakistanis come in the final, they will beat Sri Lanka, or would them make the dream of the Asia Cup very very difficult..
But if India comes in the final, the pressure will be more on Sri Lanka, because they lost the game against India...
And exactly this the Sri Lankan team will do to prevent....

And if their best team will play, i mean if Zoysa is also included , then it will be very difficult for the Indians.....
Agree with you but too soon to say, who deserves cup, final or who's in form. I know Pakistanis are in real high and infact needed it after the Indian series but don't discount anyone here, I still think India will take the cup. Like i said before, if they don't beat lanka today they don't deserve it and YES I can agree with you somewhat the FIRE in last series and WC has lowered if ot gone

biased indian

International Coach
ReallyCrazy said:
arjiz how can you be so sure India are going to win against Sri Lanka tomorrow? SL are the top team in this tournamemnt. I mean the way India are playing right now...they don't deserve to be in the finals. But I do hope they put in a good performance tomorrow.
one point missed by all here is tat india has chased on both occassion
if ganguly wins toss (no chance) 2marrow india has a even better chance of winning

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
lol! you guys seem to think zoysa is some new found star. zoysa is nothing without vaas bowling an immaculate line and length on the other end, zoysa is nothing without the excellent Sri lankan fielding. I have a feeling with SL playing a younger side tomorrow they are keen to play india in the finals, however IMO the younger SL team can still knock over india tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
dude said:
lol! you guys seem to think zoysa is some new found star. zoysa is nothing without vaas bowling an immaculta line and length on the other end, zoysa is nothing without the excellent Sri lankan fielding. I have a feeling with SL playing a younger side tomorrow they are keen to play india in the finals, however IMO the younger SL team can still knock over india tomorrow.
Inzi infact said SoySauce bowls better coz of vaaz

Last edited:

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
On another note, 'VVS LAXMAN INJURED, SENT BACK HOME'.

India have apparently called for a replacement batsman. This is highly ridiculous. One, how can a person come with no match practice and no time getting used to the conditions (he would probably reach the morning before the match) be expected to play such a crucial encounter? And secondly, India A is touring Zimbabwe, so where would they even find a proper replacement!

They certainly wouldn't play 5 bowlers again. That leaves only one change for tomorrow - Patel for Balaji.

Screwed.

Sehwag309

Banned
arjwiz said:

India have apparently called for a replacement batsman. This is highly ridiculous. One, how can a person come with no match practice and no time getting used to the conditions (he would probably reach the morning before the match) be expected to play such a crucial encounter? And secondly, India A is touring Zimbabwe, so where would they even find a proper replacement!

They certainly wouldn't play 5 bowlers again. That leaves only one change for tomorrow - Patel for Balaji.

Screwed.
What replacement batsmen

No replacement for Laxman: BCCI

July 26, 2004 16:01 IST

The Board of Control for Cricket in India will not send any replacement for injured batsman Vangipurappu Laxman for Tuesday's important Asia Cup match against hosts Sri Lanka.
Laxman's knee injury was aggravated during a net session on Friday and captain Sourav Ganguly asked for an immediate replacement because the middle-order batsman can take no further part in the tournament.

"We'll wait till Tuesday's Sri Lanka match is over," said BCCI secretary Karunakaran Nair from Trivandrum.

In Laxman's absence, India lost to Pakistan by 59 runs on Sunday. If they lose again to Sri Lanka, Pakistan could reach the final by beating Bangladesh on Thursday. The hosts have already advanced.

Laxman first injured his left knee when he was hit by a ball in practice in Dambulla before India's match against Sri Lanka on July 18.

The final is scheduled for Sunday

RealPk

arjwiz said:

Screwed.
This decisioun would cause the batting and the bowling i think...
Patel isnt a good batsman and also no problem for Chaminda Vaas, Zoysa, Murlitharan & Co.

@sehwag309:
Yes...I also think that if India win tomorrow, they will also win the Asia Cup..
But this is up to Sri Lanka...
They could now beat a very pressured and the up to 80 % secured Asia Cup winner(if sri lanka loses) team...
If they play against Pakistan in the final, it would be totally another situation.

Legglancer

State Regular
In poor taste

India turned out to be poor losers when the team failed to turn up
for the awards distribution at the end of the Asia Cup day-night
game against Pakistan, which they lost by 59 runs at the R.
Premadasa Stadium on Sunday.

Their absence from the awards ceremony was quite conspicuous
with only captain Sourav Ganguly being present while the rest of his
team members were probably sulking inside the dressing room. It is
only customary that both teams be present at the awards ceremony
at the end of each match. The Pakistan team and other match
officials were all present.

The Indian team's action was in poor taste especially at a time
when Jagmohan Dalmiya is president of the Asian Cricket Council.
Dalmiya, a former International Cricket Council (ICC) president is
also the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

With fences being mended by India and Pakistan resuming Test
cricket ties recently, this act by the Indians team reflects on poor
sportsmanship.

Their absence from the ceremony was also a big let down for the
sponsors Indian Oil Company and the television company which
telecasts the matches internationally. They have pumped in millions
of dollars to run the tournament.

Thankfully the man of the match award went to Pakistan's Shoaib
Malik. Had an Indian cricketer won it, the cameras would have had
to wait until he came down from the dressing room to receive his
award. Over to you Mr. Dalmiya.

Daily news online

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
Legglancer said:
In poor taste

India turned out to be poor losers when the team failed to turn up
for the awards distribution at the end of the Asia Cup day-night
game against Pakistan, which they lost by 59 runs at the R.
Premadasa Stadium on Sunday.

Their absence from the awards ceremony was quite conspicuous
with only captain Sourav Ganguly being present while the rest of his
team members were probably sulking inside the dressing room. It is
only customary that both teams be present at the awards ceremony
at the end of each match. The Pakistan team and other match
officials were all present.

The Indian team's action was in poor taste especially at a time
when Jagmohan Dalmiya is president of the Asian Cricket Council.
Dalmiya, a former International Cricket Council (ICC) president is
also the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

With fences being mended by India and Pakistan resuming Test
cricket ties recently, this act by the Indians team reflects on poor
sportsmanship.

Their absence from the ceremony was also a big let down for the
sponsors Indian Oil Company and the television company which
telecasts the matches internationally. They have pumped in millions
of dollars to run the tournament.

Thankfully the man of the match award went to Pakistan's Shoaib
Malik. Had an Indian cricketer won it, the cameras would have had
to wait until he came down from the dressing room to receive his
award. Over to you Mr. Dalmiya.
Nothing new, Pakistanis have also not turned up for the ceremony many tmes when they lost to India

RealPk

Hm, im getting slowly the feeling, that Indian will yet win today.(Because Murali, Vaas, Sangakara & Co. will rest)
But lets see...The youngsters of Sri Lanka are also very good and talented, but whehter they will perform today good, we will see....
In the last balls, Moin Khan didnt threw good....there had to fall a wicket .....-.-

In fact its sure that this rule with the bonus point has to be changed....The man who made this rule has specific never played international cricket and is just stupid...
:dry:

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
Laxman is not leaving

VVS Laxman, as it turns out, is not going back home. In a turnaround from the situation on Sunday night, when the Indian captain Sourav Ganguly had stated that a replacement would be flown in for the injured batsman, no one is coming in, and no one is leaving. While he was ruled out for Tuesday's match, there’s good news for the Indian camp as Muttiah Muralitharan will miss the match due to a bereavement in the family.

Meanwhile, the team management has decided to keep Laxman here, and see if he can be fit for the final, if India make it. "We have not asked for any replacement because the India 'A' team is in Zimbabwe so we don't get anyone from the second string team. We will have to play with whoever we have," said Ganguly. “There is a problem if we have to pick a squad of 14. The ICC should consider that every alternate day there is high intensity cricket. There are bound to be injuries to players in such a scenario," he said.

"But the rules of the tournament are such that with a 14-member squad if you have to get somebody else you have to send Laxman home. It does affect the team. But we have to stand up and deliver." Laxman had been hit on his left knee during practice before the Lanka match, and then again on Friday

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
RealPakistani said:
In fact its sure that this rule with the bonus point has to be changed....The man who made this rule has specific never played international cricket and is just stupid...
:dry:

This system of bonus points is nothing new. It's been in most ODI tournaments since atleast 4 or so years. Why are you cribbing about it now, after the last match? The same goes with Woolmer...why has he mentioned this after the last match? Couldn't he have brought up this point before the tournament had begun? I'm not commenting on whether the system is good or bad, just that whatever are people' views should have been made clear before the series had begun, not after Pakistan conceding a point to India.

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
RealPakistani said:
(Because Murali, Vaas, Sangakara & Co. will rest)
Are you sure about this, or are you just presuming this? I know about Murali not playing, but Vaas and Sangakkara??

Sehwag309

Banned
arjwiz said:
This system of bonus points is nothing new. It's been in most ODI tournaments since atleast 4 or so years. Why are you cribbing about it now, after the last match? The same goes with Woolmer...why has he mentioned this after the last match? Couldn't he have brought up this point before the tournament had begun? I'm not commenting on whether the system is good or bad, just that whatever are people' views should have been made clear before the series had begun, not after Pakistan conceding a point to India.

I totally agree with ya, and I didn't know woolmer was complaining too.

But its fair for all teams, Pakistans pathetic performance against Lanka has caused them this situation, and if India wins today then its Lanka and India who deserve to be in final..not Pakistan

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
I totally agree with ya, and I didn't know woolmer was complaining too.

But its fair for all teams, Pakistans pathetic performance against Lanka has caused them this situation, and if India wins today then its Lanka and India who deserve to be in final..not Pakistan
well i am sure the indian fans would be complaining as well if it had worked out against them...

Pakistan have lost one game in the tournament (a heavy defeat to Sri Lanka) and won 3 (including an easy win vs India)

India have won 2 games (vs Bang and UAE) and have lost 2 games (vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan)

Normal logic would suggest that SL are the top ranked team,then Pakistan then India...but somehow India have more points...whats that all about.

It is Sri Lankas perogative to field which ever team they want to in the last game, but all that has certainly worked in Indias favour...and if India do somehow win this tournanment, they will have to thank their lucky stars.

No doubt if India do win, all we will hear from certain memebers of this forum, is how brilliant India re etc...when really we all know the truth.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
33/0 in 5.0 Overs Tendulkar - 18 , Sehwag - 10

Zaheer Khan and Parthiv in for Nehra and Balaji out..

Zoysa and Jayantha in for Vaas and Murali out..