• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Asia Cup 2004 Thread

RealPk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
At first i want to say, that Pakistan will not give everything agains Bangladesh, because they have no more chancen to reach the final....
And if like u said Sanez the net run rate should decide, Pakistan would also try everything to get the runrate over India...

The second point is that dilshan also played against Bangladesh and Pakistan as I know...
The new players who came into the Sri Lankan team were Malinga and Jayantha....and he scored very less...

Last edited:

warpigs

Cricket Spectator
real pakistani I would like to take a moment to congrat you for ur attitude, it does reflect real pakistani attitude ;) no offence but that attutude is b/s man change it

shankar

International Debutant
Swervy said:
not by a lot??? you have to be joking..Murali, arguably the greatest ODI bowler (certainly spinner) of all time and Vaas (one of the better ODI bowlers around) compared to Laxman...please be serious
Laxman's been in prime form and his absence certainly equates SL's loss in losing Vaas. Also the fact that SL had 7 batsmen helped them get closer to the target. This certainly makes up partly for the fact that they were missing Murali. That's why I said that IMO although SL were weakened the above factors meant that it wasnt a lot.

Swervy

International Captain
warpigs said:
real pakistani I would like to take a moment to congrat you for ur attitude, it does reflect real pakistani attitude ;) no offence but that attutude is b/s man change it

what attitude is that

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pakistan could have avoided this scenario had they won their earlier game against Sri Lanka ....something a lot of people fail to point out.

shankar

International Debutant
Sorry...just realized (after noticing RealPakistani's post) that Dilshan was already in the team. I thought he'd come in for a bowler.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
each team controls its own fate no matter what the point system is. there was a 60% chance of rain in this game but it did not rain, thats more of a luck situation. Rather than looking at what other team did, there is always something that your team did not do that effected the outcome more.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
no but Pakistan will probably whip Bangladesh's bottom in the next game..chances are the net run rate will go above Indias....now each team will have played each other in this second round, with Pakistan and India on equal number of wins....surely it makes sense that Pakistan should really go through based on the fact that they beat India and will probably have a better net run rate (ie. played better than India in this round)
What if their Run rate isn't better ? I am sure some people will come up and question the net run rate rule and argue that Since Pakistan beat India in the league match pakistan should go to the Finals.

The fact will remain that the losing side will always look for an excuse.

Swervy

International Captain
maxpower said:
Rather than looking at what other team did, there is always something that your team did not do that effected the outcome more.
what...like in the way India did not beat Pakistan :D

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Swervy said:
or how they played it safe and did not allow the bonus point to pak thus controlling their own destiny for the next game :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
not by a lot??? you have to be joking..Murali, arguably the greatest ODI bowler (certainly spinner) of all time and Vaas (one of the better ODI bowlers around) compared to Laxman...please be serious
In case you dont remember, India scored 270 runs with Murali and Vass in the team. As for Laxman, I am sure you know that he is a better batsman than Parthiv Patel.

Swervy

International Captain
maxpower said:
or how they played it safe and did not allow the bonus point to pak thus controlling their own destiny for the next game :D
damn...i cannot think of anymore 'did not' scenarios :D

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Swervy said:
Pakistan DID NOt beat Sri Lanka and India did.....There another scenario for you.

Swervy, go pick a bone somewhere else. The anti-India sentiment that pervades most of your posts is wearing a bit thin.

RealPk

GermanShepherd said:
Pakistan DID NOt beat Sri Lanka and India did.....There another scenario for you.

Swervy, go pick a bone somewhere else. The anti-India sentiment that pervades most of your posts is wearing a bit thin.

To detail your post:
India beat a weakened second class team without their key player Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas....

RealPk

warpigs said:

Oh, thx :D
Do u are also Pakistani or who are you ?

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
RealPakistani said:
To detail your post:
India beat a weakened second class team without their key player Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas....
Yeah well Pakistan beat a weakened India side minus Laxman and Zaheer.
Not to mention Laxman also missing the game against Sri Lanka.

Look you can keep going round and round in circles.....the fact is Pakistan could
have guaranteed their spot in the final. They had the opportunity to do so.
They didn't take it -- so I don't think they can blame the rules.

All teams knew the equation perfectly well beforehand.

Swervy

International Captain
GermanShepherd said:

Its not anti-India, its anti-bonus point system...

To be honest I am perfectly happy for it to be a Sri Lanka vs India final, coz in my opinion they are the teams that before the tournament were the best two teams

But I do feel for Pakistan in this situation....yes I know they knew the rules before the tournament, but it doesnt make it fair...all I am saying is that I have never seen the purpose of these bonus points, coz all they do is make an already complex situation even more complicated (Remember, to attract new fans to the game, we need the rules of the game to be as simple as possible)

And Mr Shepherd, if you would like to go over the last bits of this thread you will see that I have come around more to the idea of India being there and the mood of the postings was actually quite light hearted.

Sometimes people on here will take a contrary view to a general consensus to spark up an interesting debate....so before virtually accusing someone of what ever it is you virually accused me,try and read between the lines a bit, and you will see hopefully, that much of what has been said here is pretty friendly banter :D (and if no-one thinks that is what it is, I apologise)

RealPk

GermanShepherd said:
Yeah well Pakistan beat a weakened India side minus Laxman and Zaheer.
Not to mention Laxman also missing the game against Sri Lanka.

Look you can keep going round and round in circles.....the fact is Pakistan could
have guaranteed their spot in the final. They had the opportunity to do so.
They didn't take it -- so I don't think they can blame the rules.

All teams knew the equation perfectly well beforehand.

No, thats not so...
Zaheer isnt any more this bowler, who he has been...
You can see it in todays game and for me Nehra is the better bowler at the moment, who also bowled against Pakistan...
And Laxman isnt the problem or argument which u can take in the front...
India didnt batted with a replaced batsman for Laxman, no they took Nehra into the team.
So it wasnt a weakened Team...
Everbody knew that Indias bowling attack isnt fine and in the newspaper everywhere Ganguly and Co. get to see that Pakistan will hope on the fifth bowler (with Seehwag and Tendulkar).
So India brought a fifth bowler into the team..
And now there is no reason to excuse the loose with those arguments...
Pakistan is better than India.. Thats a fact.
And the 300 total wasnt the highest, which they could reach in my opinion.. There were 20 to 30 runs more possible for me...

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
RealPakistani said:
Pakistan is better then India.. Thats a fact.
see this is when my non anti India comments will come out...

I really dont think it is a fact that pakistan are better than India..in fact I would say India on the whole are a better team, its just Pakistan did play better the other day

RealPk

Swervy said:
see this is when my non anti India comments will come out...

I really dont think it is a fact that pakistan are better than India..in fact I would say India on the whole are a better team, its just Pakistan did play better the other day

On the paper it looks like so, but Pakistan proove us as a better one...
And the Pakistani Team is also very young... (yasir, shoaib malik, mohammed sami etc.)
And most of the Indians are very old like Sehwag, Ganguly Tendulkar and so on....
I mean India has the more experienced team, which the Pakistani Team also had, but the Stars , the old Stars were sorted out after the terrible world cup...
For example Waqar Younis...He could still play for the Pakistani team , if the PCB had picked him for the Pak vs India Series in Pakistan...
But the PCB didnt and so he ended his careere...which is very very sad....