• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Will Young is the most frustrating batsman - probably player, actually - of his generation. Was shafted for years in the way he was used, but has done nothing to raise a finger at the people who made those decisions.

Looks a zillion dollars, then finds any way to get out. That was a truly mud shot today from a guy with experience. Massively irresponsible
I look forward to us rolling South Africa cheap and NZ chasing the target 2 down with young not getting a second chance to redeem himself and forever be discarded.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Towards end of day 1 when I was driving home, listening to the radio comms. John Bracewell was talking about upcoming second new ball, and how he thought the match would quickly progress when we got there. He was sort of right, the next morning O'Rourke mopped up with a 10 over old ball.

Anyway, my actual point is : in the Southee/Boult days I would really look forward to this point where the quirk of this sport means you can get 20 consecutive overs with the new ball by your opening bowlers with the overnight break. But instead I was internally bemoaning that half of these 20 overs were going to be wasted by Ole Man River 2 , before the young blood could get their hands on a hard rock

Anyway. O'Rourke got the newish ball anyway, so 'fears' were unfounded anyway.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Jesse imo. I put him in the Taylor/Ryder/Latham/McCullum talent bracket (not that they had equal results either).
Yeah obviously Jesse is the biggest of all-time, but for piss-based reasons. For pure talent that wasn't realised, Young is getting into dangerous territory as the #1.

Having said, I was surprised to look at his record and he's only played six innings not as an opener.

Meridio

International Regular
Must say props to obvs Wagner but also O'Rourke there with the bat - that 30ish run partnership really could be crucial. Good to see a number 11 bat for the guy at the other end rather than going for a mindless slog. Hope he takes a bag in the morning.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see another leg spinner in the Dick Tyldesley mould in the form of Shaun von Berg. Shame he didn't cadge a wicket.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yeah no accusation at all of hindsight. And the Santner one does seem like it was the wrong one - I was blown away when I saw Wags. Now I think they'll genuinely consider him for Australia
I'm a huge Wagner fan but it's Wagner OR Southee, not both. And even though Wagner has bowled better and batted better than Southee in this match, we're stuck with Southee.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Yeah and looks like he can go bowl quicker to more consistently with the right tweaks. Those bottom 3 are concerning
From an outsider's view, Southee has never been that quick so that isn't so much of an issue for him. It is more a concern if he's not taking wickets. It appears to me though that Wagner is right at the end of his useful life, as he has essentially been for the last year or two, but Henry seems a surprise.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
From an outsider's view, Southee has never been that quick so that isn't so much of an issue for him. It is more a concern if he's not taking wickets. It appears to me though that Wagner is right at the end of his useful life, as he has essentially been for the last year or two, but Henry seems a surprise.
Especially seeing as a I saw Henry send one down at 144 kph against Pakistan

Flem274*

123/5
Southee at his peak was 135-140 with the occassional burster at higher pace (thinking the 145kph reverse swing spell in the West Indies).

Since the at least Melbourne test he's been a medium pacer. It has been somewhat masked because he's feasted on a steady diet of subcontinental batsmen who can't bat against right arm outswing from a taller bowler on pitches with pace and bounce, but Australian batsmen call that domestic cricket.

I think there was a back injury around 2016(?) that cut off his top end speed. When he's hitting the deck hard he's fine, but he has this tendency to slip into bowling along the deck with early gentle swing that is just a recipe to get smashed by SENA sides. It comes and goes, but he's 35, so the rope should be shorter than it used to be.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Southee at his peak was 135-140 with the occassional burster at higher pace (thinking the 145kph reverse swing spell in the West Indies).

Since the at least Melbourne test he's been a medium pacer. It has been somewhat masked because he's feasted on a steady diet of subcontinental batsmen who can't bat against right arm outswing from a taller bowler on pitches with pace and bounce, but Australian batsmen call that domestic cricket.

I think there was a back injury around 2016(?) that cut off his top end speed. When he's hitting the deck hard he's fine, but he has this tendency to slip into bowling along the deck with early gentle swing that is just a recipe to get smashed by SENA sides. It comes and goes, but he's 35, so the rope should be shorter than it used to be.
Makes sense, he's spineless and i'm not sure why you're all okay with him playing like trash test after test. You all defend him like he's bowling jesus or something