• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Flem274*

123/5
Common theme since 2021 has been alternating good and terrible performances.

We will get out of this one because they can't bat bar a few blokes but this is a very poor performance and a fitting punishment for using a test match as a pace bowling trial and potential retirement test instead of playing to the conditions against a proud FC standard side.

We have a coach who consistently downplays public expectation to be a strong side instead of promoting his aspirations for them and several players who subsist off of bullying Asians in Christchurch like [redacted by the NZSIS].

We aren't in a position to move on some of those players but they need to be told they are first on the chopping block when we can unless they pull finger against Australia.

Also our captain is 35, bowls club pace and can't bat, review or read the pitch. He needs a bag and then a strong series against Australia.

Flem274*

123/5
Oh yeah, and Will Young.

I get it, was batting with the tail and your rivals didn't help, but that's why you're not a full time member of this side. I'm his biggest fan on here but come on bro sometimes you need to make a statement and channel some Chanderpaul. Make Latham search desperately through the diary for the next date with Sri Lanka at Hagley.

Howsie

International Captain
In hindsight that might've been a poor choice.

I honestly think they might consider playing Wags against Australia
Australia is going to flog us good and proper but do we really have to wheel out TWO 125kph pace bowlers.

Even when he’s getting swing Southee is pretty much swinging it out of the hand. That’s useless at pretty much every level.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just checked score and turns out I missed most of our innings. ****in lol.

Haven't seen a ball since Latham was bowled but somehow I know this is #Southeesfault.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I probably would have picked Santner and not played Wagner/O'Rourke. I mean, I commented on not liking the line-up before the match, so I'm not trying to be Captain Hindsight here.
Yeah no accusation at all of hindsight. And the Santner one does seem like it was the wrong one - I was blown away when I saw Wags. Now I think they'll genuinely consider him for Australia

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah no accusation at all of hindsight. And the Santner one does seem like it was the wrong one - I was blown away when I saw Wags. Now I think they'll genuinely consider him for Australia
Also, I should say with the Mitchell injury, the press release said he'd been playing with the injury for a while and primarily needed a rest (as well as to check the extent of the issue). I suspect they could have played Mitchell if he'd already been straining under this issue for a while - more chronic than acute, perhaps. Jamieson sounds now to be more of a necessary enforced change, but again the press release was mainly about a sore back and it sounded more like workload management than a necessary change. But then, I am a massive cynic.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia is going to flog us good and proper but do we really have to wheel out TWO 125kph pace bowlers.

Even when he’s getting swing Southee is pretty much swinging it out of the hand. That’s useless at pretty much every level.
No, definitely not ideally we don't. I don't like counting Southee out because I was doing that 3 years ago, but he just has no zip, any swing is out of the hand, he's very comfortable.

I just get this feeling they might back Wags to niggle them out like 2020, albeit 10km slower.

Anyway, first they need to find a way to knock over SA. Our attack is definitely looking a touch toothless with 2 guys bowling 120ish, a debutant and Henry + two part time spinners

Flem274*

123/5
I don't mind hiding players with niggles. Sometimes you just need to (understrength for 1 game > understrength multiple games). I do mind ignoring the balance the pitch requires though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know when Howsie's giving the scathing critique of Southee that his time is sadly coming to an end. Added to the immense frustration (and team culture damage, I suspect) that his braindead batting often provides, I think it's now the right time to call time on his Test career. Not that it'll happen though. And, of course, without anticipation that CW's criticisms will lead to any improved returns from the skipper.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Oldest South Africans on Test Debut:

1.Omar Henry 40 years 295 days vs Ind 1992
2.Geoffrey Chubb 40 years 56 days vs Eng 1951
3.Jimmy Cook 39 years 105 days vs Ind 1992
4.Johnny Lindsay 38 years 272 days vs Eng 1947
5.Shaun Von Berg 37 years 150 days vs NZ 2024