• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Disappointing effort but I'm backing us to come back well.

Credit to South Africa for not rolling over after the first test. As much as our batting deserves criticism the bowling did let a good start get away from them imo

Bahseph

International Debutant
Eathan Bosch (Also bats) and Baartman would get ahead of your seamers after 6 for me ..Swanepoel aswell
Dupavillon too for raw pace , I'd also be trying to get Maphaka in the set up as soon as possible
I've watched Dupavillon for years as a Dolphins fan. I think he is a fine bowler but never considered him a pace merchant.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Well lets see if the SA batting can actually stand up... ability is there but not shown enough so far. But is this opportunity does not provide passion to really get ahead nothing will...
Hamza and Petersen with the most to play for.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Apologies for underrating him. Still not encouraging for our 6 (3 v India, 2 SL, 1 Afgh) tests in Asia this year.
Well. You called him D, and the replies indicate you should have called him C. Don't beat yourself up too much ...

So, to Saffas. Is he higher rated than Linde? And Muthsamy?

SeamUp

International Coach
I've watched Dupavillon for years as a Dolphins fan. I think he is a fine bowler but never considered him a pace merchant.
He lost pace because of the injuries but it was great seeing him hit 145 and regularly over 140 in SA20. Only Burger & Williams did that more than him.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well. You called him D, and the replies indicate you should have called him C. Don't beat yourself up too much ...

As a bowler, definitely better than Muthusamy. Linde is a difficult one, at his best he was very good... but does seem to have dropped off a bit recently. Piedt could have easily been first choice, its that close between them all... I think it was his poor subcontinent showing that pretty much ended his career a few years back.

SeamUp

International Coach

Piedt was considered ahead them but could never nail his position for SA.

On the one nightmare tour of India he got dropped for Linde/Muthusamy who probably bowled better than him with their chance.

But if we ranking him at his peak for red-ball then I only have Maharaj and Harmer ahead of him.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
On Southee, Jimmy Anderson has shown it’s possible for that sort of bowler to enjoy late-career success, but apart from the fact that Tim isn’t quite the master he is he would probably need to give up white-ball cricket and completely focus on his craft.

SeamUp

International Coach
As I said... genuine fast bowlers most other first teams would love coming out of our ears.
Wonder who would be consistently our quickest.

Adcock
Heine
P Pollock
Procter
Hanley
Le Roux
Van Zyl

Since we back?

Donald
Bosch
Fanie (I know he was skillful but he could bowl quick if he wanted too?)
Schultz
S Pollock (young)
Klusener (young)
Ngam (young)
Hayward
Ntini
Nel
Zondeki (young)
Steyn
M Morkel
De Lange
Olivier (young)
Morris

Now
Nortje
Coetzee
Burger
Viljoen
Rabada
Dupavillon
Williams
Dala

EP loves producing a quick out of the coastal venues. P Pollock, Hanley, Schultz, Ngam, Hayward, Nortje. Not bad. WP not so much. Garth Le Roux our quickest.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Young is the most frustrating batsman - probably player, actually - of his generation. Was shafted for years in the way he was used, but has done nothing to raise a finger at the people who made those decisions.

Looks a zillion dollars, then finds any way to get out. That was a truly mud shot today from a guy with experience. Massively irresponsible

Flem274*

123/5
On Southee, Jimmy Anderson has shown it’s possible for that sort of bowler to enjoy late-career success, but apart from the fact that Tim isn’t quite the master he is he would probably need to give up white-ball cricket and completely focus on his craft.
Anderson was touching 140 at 40 and has improved yearly since 35 or so.

Southee barely hits 130 is his opening spell and peaked in 2014.

He's been a great servant and a very good bowler but he's almost done.

And I say this as someone who thinks they were very close as bowlers a few years ago, just one had the good luck to be born in a test playing nation so got to spam wickets.

Flem274*

123/5
Will Young is the most frustrating batsman - probably player, actually - of his generation. Was shafted for years in the way he was used, but has done nothing to raise a finger at the people who made those decisions.

Looks a zillion dollars, then finds any way to get out. That was a truly mud shot today from a guy with experience. Massively irresponsible
In some ways he's the same player he was at 22

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy has also almost always been about 5k's quicker than Tim, dropping from 140 to 130 is less of a problem than dropping from 135 to 125.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In some ways he's the same player he was at 22
Yeah, I agree. If he makes it to the end of his Test career averaging under 30 without a hundred - which isn't inconceivable - it'll be the biggest waste of a talent for a long, long time.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Only fair to say that on the flip side, SA have been great for significant periods of this series. Feels like they've set really good fields and been very disciplined in bowling to them, had good plans to each batsman and not at all overawed by the challenge.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, I agree. If he makes it to the end of his Test career averaging under 30 without a hundred - which isn't inconceivable - it'll be the biggest waste of a talent for a long, long time.
Since Jesse imo. I put him in the Taylor/Ryder/Latham/McCullum talent bracket (not that they had equal results either).