• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Kent

State 12th Man
Anyone seen the likely XI for tonight's (or tomorrow morning's, seeing it's a day-nighter) warm-up match?

I guess they'll start to show their hand as far as the preferred line-up for the tri-series goes. Averaging 51 in ODIs, if he's fit Papps would be a bit unlucky to miss out to Scratchy & Scratchy (AKA Astle and McMillan) right now.

Unfortunately for Papps, I get the feeling NZ will want to spend the first 15 blasting from both ends given the totals they'll be needing.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Revelation said:
Lara should also be able to pass Saeed Anwar and move to 7th on the all time list. He needs a couple more centuries to break into the 20 century club.

In Tests, he's 170 away from 10,000. Should he get there this series, he will be the fastest to 10,000. Lara should also pass Gavaskar who is only 292 runs in front. Should he do this, he would move into 3rd place on the all time list. He has 26 centuries. One more will break the WI record and tie him with Border on 27. (only Bradman (29),Waugh (32), Tendulkar (33) and Gavaskar (34) have more.) He also has 7 doubles. One more and he moves clear of Hammond into 2nd on the all time list of 200 makers. (only Bradman (12) has more). His 140 catches place him 3rd on the list of field catchers (not incl wkprs)
Wow.

Maybe I should bring back my "Statfact"...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
I want Ireland in the NCL!
So does a 'Left Arm Chinamen' in our school, who happens to be Irish.

He claims to be the inventor of the 'Left Arm Irishmen' style of bowling.

Kent

State 12th Man
244/3 Essex? What is this, the 1980's? Slog!

Nice to see Marshall there on 111* from 96 balls. Only his 2nd hundred in any high level cricket. He's only facing trundlers this morning by the looks, although as you can tell, they've often been his biggest weakness.

Last edited:

stevo22

Cricket Spectator
Giles

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'd prefer to see Batty in the squad than Giles.
I think giles should keep his place in the team the way he's playing. I was at the trent bridge test against new zealand and i have to say giles was absolutely superb. Smashed it all over the place in the 1st inns to get england somewhere close, bowled it tight, got a couple of vital breakthroughs and 6 wickets in the match, got rid of cairns with an absolute jaffa and then helped thorpe to get the win with another good innings.
I've not seen much of batty but when he did play, he did no better than giles and giles is much the superior batsman.

stevo22

Cricket Spectator
Arjun said:
Not that accurate. You don't have to make him into a Glenn McGrath, do you? Agreed McGrath is not his usual self these days, but he is a role model for accuracy. If Flintoff was really as accurate as many say, he would not only have an average of 21 and a few 5-wicket hauls, he would also be able to carry on that form in Tests, where, he's not that great a bowler as many say he is. A bit difficult to imagine how a bowler with a Test average of 41 can be considered the most accurate bowler, even in ODI's.
If you'd been at trent bridge and seen flintoff bowling after tea on the 3rd day of the 3rd test against new zealand you wouldn't be saying he not a great bowler. Magnificent spell of bowling - consistently over 90mph and on the spot every ball.

No one could score off him, took 2 wickets and the pressure created probably caused the other 3. And thats the point - it's not all about taking wickets, bowl well and create pressure and the guy at the other end gets 3 wickets. If richie benaud is saying that it was one of the great spells of bowling in the last 10 years then flintoff must be doing something right!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
bowling figures are sad reading again but at least 3 or 4 batsmen scored some runs & the total was chased with some ease.

Cairns didn't really feature with the ball. Will Cairns actually make the 2007 WC? thats another 3 years away & I can't really see him getting there unless he starts finding form with the ball.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
News travels slow in Essex...
But even slower in Somerset (with stupid accents too by the way ;)) because Somerset (as you yourself told me) recieve crap radio signals. :D:):p

My moan at Somerset for the day.

stevo22

Cricket Spectator
Tim said:
bowling figures are sad reading again but at least 3 or 4 batsmen scored some runs & the total was chased with some ease.

Cairns didn't really feature with the ball. Will Cairns actually make the 2007 WC? thats another 3 years away & I can't really see him getting there unless he starts finding form with the ball.
He had some form in the 3rd test! 9 wickets in the match is a great effort. I'd say he's saving himself for the natwest series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indian bowling looks to be in a bad way.

Sussex 292/6 50 overs

Dwayne Smith 6.2 overs bowled. Is he injured?

Revelation

U19 Debutant
170/4

Chanderpaul-62* and Lara-10*

Did anyone see the Holland v Czech Rep game? One hell of a cracker but i'm glad the Ductch will most likely exit!! Vive la France!!