• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ 95-2. Astle 2 off 19 balls, Marshall 8 off 14. Flem 55*, Styris 19*.

However, Derbyshire do have Nicholas Walker playing...

Meanwhile, the West Indies are 64-3 against Ireland. Surely it couldn't happen again?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would allow NZ to be a little rusty in this match..but they should be starting to hit their straps in the final couple of matches if they expect to make the finals of the Tri-Series.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Not so bad anymore, mind you - 152/2 with Fleming on 89 from 100 and Styris on 42 from 57 - amazingly, Styris only has two fours! He's certainly playing a different game than what he's known for. Fleming, to compare, currently has 13 fours.

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dont Get me started on Mcmillan! Hes hopeless! He Does not seem to take batting serious enough for me. He seems to go out with a different theory each time he bats, which is really frustrating.

I was disappointing that they did not play matthew sinclair. Of the players available in the squad he seemed to be the best option. It would have strengthened the top order a bit as well alowing styris to move down one to his natural position(number 5).

Loony BoB

International Captain
Darrin said:
Dont Get me started on Mcmillan! Hes hopeless! He Does not seem to take batting serious enough for me. He seems to go out with a different theory each time he bats, which is really frustrating.

I was disappointing that they did not play matthew sinclair. Of the players available in the squad he seemed to be the best option. It would have strengthened the top order a bit as well alowing styris to move down one to his natural position(number 5).
You're meant to wait until he gets out before you say that. *nods* Saves you looking stupid if he makes a big score. Of course, I agree that he's not at his best, mind you. Probably our most inconsistent batsman of late, second to Sinclair. I think Sinclair would have averaged the same as McMillan over the years if he were in Macca's place, though. So it's not a huge gain to drop one for the other. Worth a shot, though.

Seems to have a habit of doing well against the subcontinent teams, mind you.

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
What'd I tell ya? McMillan makes a nifty 43 off 45 to become the batsman that would have gained him "best batter" by marc's ODI prediction forum standards (well, for the NZ innings).

http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/NEW/LIVE/frames/NZ_DERBY_16JUN2004.html
mcmillan has played complete rubbish in the test series(and what exactly was he thinking coming down the track 2nd ball to mr negative at lords?). even if he scored 200 against an average county side(sorry LE) i wouldnt consider him for the test match squad.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Tim said:
I recall listening to the BBC team at Headingley during a Giles over. I think it was Aggers who quoted something along the lines of: "And Giles bowls again..he's continuing this boring leg-stump line"

Now those weren't the exact words, but I know he said something similar to that.
Sure it was Aggers? I'm pretty certain I heard that fool Blofeld say it, but what he doesn't know about cricket would fill a library. It's the sort of line he starts his comentaries off with, which is helpful because it reminds me to turn the radio off for 20 minutes so I won't have to listen to Blofeld's fantasy descriptions of some match taking place only in his own head. I've sat directly below him and not been able to see any of what he appears to believe is going on too often to take him seriously about anything other than his own protestations of ignorance.

Cheers,

Mike

Loony BoB

International Captain
tooextracool said:
mcmillan has played complete rubbish in the test series(and what exactly was he thinking coming down the track 2nd ball to mr negative at lords?). even if he scored 200 against an average county side(sorry LE) i wouldnt consider him for the test match squad.
Who's talking about test matches?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
chris.hinton said:
Come on England!!!!!

We should win this easy, we have 13 out of 14 players under 30
What does age have to do with winning it? what we'd make up in youth we'd lose in experience.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Come on England!!!!!

We should win this easy, we have 13 out of 14 players under 30

And there was me thinking it was ability that won matches, and all along it's age!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
Average county side?
AVERAGE COUNTY SIDE?

I'm afraid they haven't been that for a number of years. I just hope they get one more dig at the championship in my lifetime (don't need to win it - just go close like they did at the start of the 1990's).

Oh, yes. And kick the Lankys or the 'Ow much?' mob in a couple of Lord's finals.

Craig

World Traveller
Well the win by Derbyshire over New Zealand has shocked me!

Nice confidence booster for the WI for knocking off Ireland.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
While it was good that Butler & Franklin took 2 or 3 wickets each..it will be the total runs off their overs which will be of most concern.

I think Butler had 50 runs hit off his 8 overs while Franklin was around 45 off 7 if i recall correctly.

I've heard comments previously that it's ok to be smacked as long as you're taking wickets...well NZ kind of did that yesterday & ended up losing.