• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Anyone else puzzled by the McGrath selection?

To be fair he didn't do anything wrong in the West Indies, but how can Clarke go from being ahead of him to behind him?
neither deserve to be in the side although im not surprised at all that mcgrath is ahead of clarke.... mcgrath didnt make a complete fool of himself on that tour to the WI as clarke did.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
Finally someone has seen sense as Clarke is out of the ODI squad. But mcgrath is still there, dont know why. Feel a bit sorry for Read, his batting for notts has been good of late.
you know, i find the selection of jones absolutely ridiculous...how can you drop a guy who hasnt done anything wrong at all with the bat in the ODIs?hes a better keeper than jones by a country mile and already he has won 2 games with the bat(collymore and one in the natwest challenge with tresco). it is a stupid stupid selection, especially considering that read is so very good at stop-start innings.

twctopcat said:
see if Key can make an impact. See him more as a test player though but there you go.
i find this selction quite odd too.....from what ive seen of key he looks to be more suited to the test arena so why would you pick him in the ODIs? i wouldnt be surprised at all if we saw key fail miserably in the ODIs and then goes out of the reckoning for the test side.

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
you know, i find the selection of jones absolutely ridiculous...how can you drop a guy who hasnt done anything wrong at all with the bat in the ODIs?hes a better keeper than jones by a country mile and already he has won 2 games with the bat(collymore and one in the natwest challenge with tresco). it is a stupid stupid selection, especially considering that read is so very good at stop-start innings.
Yes it seems rather harsh as he has done nothing wrong in ODIs, and has been scoring runs for Notts recently. The selectors seem to be ignorant of the fact that ODIs require very different skills to Tests. Just look at the selection of Harmison (who is not a one day bowler and failed against the West Indies), Traughton last year (who was averaging about 3 in domestic one-day and over 50 in the championship), Strauss in the one-dayers before he had played a Test, and the expectation that Vaughan's excellent Test performances would ensure his success as an indispensible ODI player.

tooextracool said:
i find this selction quite odd too.....from what ive seen of key he looks to be more suited to the test arena so why would you pick him in the ODIs? i wouldnt be surprised at all if we saw key fail miserably in the ODIs and then goes out of the reckoning for the test side.
Further evidence that the selectors are ignorant of the differences between Tests and ODIs. I fear you may be right that Key may do a Traughton - fail in the one-dayers and be discarded for the Tests, even though current form suggests he would be far more suited to the Tests.

Sudeep

International Captain
Tim said:
The more I see it..the more I believe NZ is turning into Glouc's.
They've lost serious ground in test cricket but have made a couple of giant strides in ODI cricket..and I expect that they'll be alot tougher in the Natwest Series.

...despite in serious doubt of being able to field 11 fit players?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Chances of a change of heart and Spearman being recalled? ;)
He's actually playing as an English player as to not count as an overseas player for Gloucs, so i think he couldnt play for them even if he wanted to.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SpaceMonkey said:
He's actually playing as an English player as to not count as an overseas player for Gloucs, so i think he couldnt play for them even if he wanted to.
So can he play for England??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ have sufficient depth now that they should be able to have a competitive team in the ODI's.

Harris & Marshall are arriving & James Franklin proved he's a decent bowler, and he was a little off the pace for selection against England earlier in the year.

Certainly anyway, their ODI form is quite different to their test form...4-1 over Pakistan & 5-1 over South Africa recently.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
And why would England want to select Spearman? he's proved time & time again with NZ that he can't handle the step-up to international cricket.

Rich2001

International Captain
Tim said:
And why would England want to select Spearman? he's proved time & time again with NZ that he can't handle the step-up to international cricket.
Why would we want Spearman when we can have Flower, Law, Pieterson - Or maybe some of those um what are they... oh yes English players :D

I can't be bothered to quote all the posts throughout the last few pages (you will know who you are), but iam guessing why some of the "Non looking" ODI type players like Key, Strauss etc etc get selected in the ODI's first is to ease them into the International set up - so playing Test cricket doesn't come as such a shock as you have been in and around the dressing room etc and ODI's are alot easier in the sense you turn up could do well might not, that's it play your natural game... with Tests it's alot more intensive etc and harder to adapt to.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Rich2001 said:
Why would we want Spearman when we can have Flower, Law, Pieterson - Or maybe some of those um what are they... oh yes English players :D

I can't be bothered to quote all the posts throughout the last few pages (you will know who you are), but iam guessing why some of the "Non looking" ODI type players like Key, Strauss etc etc get selected in the ODI's first is to ease them into the International set up - so playing Test cricket doesn't come as such a shock as you have been in and around the dressing room etc and ODI's are alot easier in the sense you turn up could do well might not, that's it play your natural game... with Tests it's alot more intensive etc and harder to adapt to.
Spot on, exactly why we knew Mahmood would be selected so they could prepare him for backup for Jones / Harmison in tests and hopefully force his way in on his own merit, which also makes it all the more surprising that Bell missed out :nono:

Rich2001

International Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
which also makes it all the more surprising that Bell missed out :nono:
Argh you've just made my evening really annoying as I was listing to the interview with the selectors on the way to work and they said why Bell just missed out but now I can't remember... it's only to bug me now :p

Edit: Found out why....

"Several players have missed out who had a strong case for selection, including Warwickshire's in-form prodigy Ian Bell, who suffered from Key's devastating form."

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Rich2001 said:
Argh you've just made my evening really annoying as I was listing to the interview with the selectors on the way to work and they said why Bell just missed out but now I can't remember... it's only to bug me now :p

Edit: Found out why....

"Several players have missed out who had a strong case for selection, including Warwickshire's in-form prodigy Ian Bell, who suffered from Key's devastating form."
Pfffffffft so how the hell did McGrath get in then! Bloody selectors! I really feel for Bell cos if he cant get in now he wont stand much chance for the ICC champions trophy as Pieterson will be eligable for selection then and i really cant see them not putting him STRAIGHT into the one day team at least.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rich2001 said:

Is that some form of illness?