• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

archie mac

International Coach
Calling Jason, SJS, Tapi and Burkey, have you all lost interest in cricket trivia?

Name the missing player?

Shaw, Lillywhite and ?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Calling Jason, SJS, Tapi and Burkey, have you all lost interest in cricket trivia?

Name the missing player?

Shaw, Lillywhite and ?
Allen Hill?

All played the 1st test for England and went on to be first-class umpires after retirement.

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
Allen Hill?

All played the 1st test for England and went on to be first-class umpires after retirement.
No, although you may well be right, but that is a little to hard for me :laugh:

It is more to do with tours:)

Who are the old fellows with the pads on, in your avatar?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Who are the old fellows with the pads on, in your avatar?
No idea. Wish I had a more interesting answer. After being criticised in another thread as a snob who hates all new cricketing ventures (actually far from the truth, but hey) I thought it was appropriate.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If its tours then it could be Lord Harris. All led tours to Australia

Im not 100% sure about this (as off top of my head) but if more detail is required, Didn't the tours led by these men receive Test status retroactively (if that is the correct word)?

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
If its tours then it could be Lord Harris. All led tours to Australia

Im not 100% sure about this (as off top of my head) but if more detail is required, Didn't the tours led by these men receive Test status retroactively (if that is the correct word)?
Think more promoters :)

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
Shrewsberry ? First few professionals to captain England.
The name is right, so I will give it to you. :)

These 3 brought out a lot of the earlier touring cricket sides from England and also the first Rugby tour to Aust. which they lost a lot of money on.

Your turn Tapi:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
There's some truth in that !

Have been away on holliday in SL for one and also losing interest in the trivia threads a little . This one for one thing takes ages to go through one question and even then you never know whether someone will post another.

Shall we start another new Trivia thread which will encourage greater participation of all forum members and be more interesting , than the same old us few over and over and over again , struggling to find questions and digging up old questions ?

BTW , I have a suggestion for James (Cricket Web Boss).

James, why not get someone to publish the questions in the Trivia threads as a book ?:)

(Obviously some may need researching to confirm they are correct ) But would be a great idea.

You could sell it easily , IMO .

Suggested Title - " Cricket Web Cricket Trivia " Edited by James Nixon .:)

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
There's some truth in that !
Shall we start another new Trivia thread which will encourage greater participation of all forum members and be more interesting , than the same old us few over and over and over again , struggling to find questions and digging up old questions ?

The problem as I see it and I hope I am not coming across as to pompous, is that if you do not make the questions really hard, people like yourself, SJS and Tapi, solve them to easily.

The fact that people can google the answer also means you have to make the questions quite tough.

Happy to make it more accessible to more members just not sure how?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
No

Hint straightaway - it had something to do with something that Phil Gerrans did.

He is an Australian - and that is a major hint too ;)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
No

Hint straightaway - it had something to do with something that Phil Gerrans did.

He is an Australian - and that is a major hint too ;)
Did he field for the opposition when some one was injured ?:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
No.

The connection with Australian and the wink will sound obvious when you hit upon the answer :)
Is he the last "Australian" born in England to make his FC debut in England ? or play for Oxford ?:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He did not bat in the 1st innings but opened the batting in the 2nd. Though you did say the scorecard would not help, it did get me thinking.

How about he was not in the country when the game started and only arrived during Oxfords innings (as he opened the bowling in Lancashires only innings)

Game started when he was still in Aus?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I havent lost interest. Its just that I am not able to devote the time required (particularly if I am the one who has asked the question) always. I feel guilty that the thread may slow down because of my absence in such a case.

Plus I am scared of Jason's admonitions. Kidding :)

I had no idea that some of the stalwarts were also missing.

Okay, I will try and do something about it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Suggestion to James

In order to make this thread more user friendly as well as attractive when anyone visits it the first time, can we try and implement one or more of the changes suggested.

1. A twenty question format where the original question is posted and all subsequent questions with the answers in YES/NO can be put. The one who asks the question fills the first (QUIZ) line and subsequently others start filling the 20 questions while the QUIZZER keeps filling the NO/YES columns.

This will always remain at the top of the thread (like the poles) till the answer is finally given. Thew final answer has to be filled in by the quizzer.

The moment he fills in the final answer, the format at the top of the thread should go blank again.

Maybe we can allow the first quizzer to also fill in the name of the correct answer giver (sometimes there is a doubt) and then this person poses the next quiz.

2. There should be a way to trace out the earlier QUIZZES. If a book is too much to start with, at least people will be able to go through the earlier quizzes and test their skills against those gone past as the qustions asked and their answers are revealed one by one on the click of the mouse.

3. Maybe there should be a link on the home page or somewhere where the CURRENT QUIZ is posted along with the state of answers as of now. For example:

Twenty 20 QUIZ

CURRENT QUIZ : What links a legendary West Indian batsman with an ex-England captain & an Indian two-cap wonder? & who are the players in question?

STATUS (after 7 question) : The West Indian is George Headley. The English captain is dead, did not captain his country before WW 2 and is not Hutton or Cowdrey and is a Peruvian by birth.

CLUES SO FAR : The English captain crucially shares something with Nobby Solano.

Come try your cricketing knowledge..blah blah blah...

4. Maybe we should have a separate section for CRICKET QUIZ ??