• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
You probably don't need it, but I'll add some hints for each one

1. The Indian played Tests in the 1930s
2. SAfrican played ODIs but not Tests
3. His career ended in the 1960s
4. A major name in Indian cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Englishman has to be Graveney since all those who led England in the sixties have either been turned down or played into the seventies except him.

Question : Does the record involve scoring a 200 plus innings ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Nazir Ali for scoring a fifty (52) out of a team total of 66 for the touring Indians against Yorkshire in July 1932.
2. Clive Rice for scoring a century (105 not out) out of a total innings score of just 143 _ for Notts against Hampshire July 1981.
3. Graveney for scoring a double century out of an innings score of just 298 - for Glocestershire against Glamorgan August 1956
4. Vijay Hazare for scoring a triple century in a total innings score of just 387 - for The Rest of India against the Hindus in 1943-44

These are the smallest team scores to include a fifty, a century, a double century and a triple century respectively.

Interestingly, Hazare in his triple century, shared a partnership of 300 with his younger brother Vivek Hazare. Vivek contributed JUST 21 RUNS in the partnership. This is a world record too.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
1. Nazir Ali for scoring a fifty (52) out of a team total of 66 for the touring Indians against Yorkshire in July 1932.
2. Clive Rice for scoring a century (105 not out) out of a total innings score of just 143 _ for Notts against Hampshire July 1981.
3. Graveney for scoring a double century out of an innings score of just 298 - for Glocestershire against Glamorgan August 1956
4. Vijay Hazare for scoring a triple century in a total innings score of just 387 - for The Rest of India against the Hindus in 1943-44

These are the smallest team scores to include a fifty, a century, a double century and a triple century respectively.

Interestingly, Hazare in his triple century, shared a partnership of 300 with his younger brother Vivek Hazare. Vivek contributed JUST 21 RUNS in the partnership. This is a world record too.
Top effort SJS, I was a long way off in my thinking 8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hazare's amazing innings came in the finals of the Pentangular. In the semifinals before this game he had another amazing innings against the Muslims.

Facing a first innings score of 353, The Rest needed to top that score for a first innings lead which would prove decisive since there wasnt enough time for an outright result.

Coming in to bat at 27 for 2, Hazare farmed the innings with only one other batsman crossing 25 and scored 248 and was 7th out at 391. The team collapsed for the addition of another 7 runs but Hazare had done enough for a place in the finals !

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
If you look at the scorecard of the Clive Rice match, one of the umpires was Shakoor Rana. He umpired many county matches that season. Wonder how he ended up there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
If you look at the scorecard of the Clive Rice match, one of the umpires was Shakoor Rana. He umpired many county matches that season. Wonder how he ended up there.
Pakistani fans can claim he learnt his "skills" in England :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who said this ?

" Willie, Willie, havent I told you over and over again how to play that ball ?"

archie mac

International Coach
Who was having this conversation and who is blank?

"well" I said. "Suppose we are wrecked. What would you do?"

"First", he said. "I'll save Alec then blank, then you".

"Well, but what about the Victorians?" I asked.

"Let 'em drown", he replied. "Let them drown. Do you think I'm going to risk my life for them?"

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Returning to the trivia threads after a break :)

Not sure about this one. Is the Alec referred to Alec Bedser?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Is this conversation during the second world war ?

If yes, are the persons talking Australians ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Is this conversation during the second world war ?

If yes, are the persons talking Australians ?
How many such conversations do you know from the second world war. Why dont you just give the answer. :p