• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Many stories have come up on this not so old story. Ram Chandra Guha, called a cricket historian wrote in an article in 2001 in The Hindu ...

This team had within its ranks Wesley Hall, one of the greatest of new-ball bowlers, and Roy Gilchrist, faster and more furious still. A pair that could have carried all before it for years to come was to be prematurely broken. Halfway through the tour, the West Indies were down to play the North Zone in Amritsar. One of the local side's openers, Swaranjit Singh, liked to wear huge and gaily coloured turbans. Gilchrist bounced the batsman, hitting him on the head. The fast bowler later claimed that he was challenged by Singh's taunt, issued via public loudspeakers before the match, that he would "tame" Gilchrist. Others think that the bowler was provoked by the size and colour of the headgear. Anyway, his captain Gerry Alexander asked him to pitch the ball up. But Gilly bounced the opener again, and again. That was the last day of play he saw on tour, or ever again as a West Indies player, for Alexander had him sent home for "insubordination". Gilchrist was to spend the rest of his cricketing life in the Lancashire Leagues, a rebel till the end. He would appear for every league match with a white girl on his arm, not always the same one. As one would expect, the English were infuriated.

Possibly the most salient fact in the episode that ended Gilchrist's Test career is that Swaranjit and Alexander had once played at Lord's together, for Cambridge University, no less. The ties of class would, in this case, over-ride the bonds of nationality.

The factual errors in Guha's account maybe minor, like the match was not in the middle but at the fag end of the tour, Swaranjit was not the opening batsman but was batting at number four in this match but thye make me doubt his claim that Alexander's reaction had anything to do with the "ties of class" he shared with the Indian. But this is one of the much less fantastic stories that have sprouted out of this episode. Swaranjit clearly had difficulty living down this incident.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> The ties of class would, in this case, over-ride the bonds of nationality.

Guha discovers class, caste, or regional conspiracy in everything.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
>> The ties of class would, in this case, over-ride the bonds of nationality.

Guha discovers class, caste, or regional conspiracy in everything.
You said it. I suspect he thinks caste, class, conspiracy and colour (reference to the Raj and the British) suits his tag of 'historian' :)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I had posted a question on Saturday (five posts above this). Looks like it did not get noticed :

Four batsmen who are connected by a similar record -

1. An early Indian cricketer
2. A South African
3. A post war Englishman
4. An Indian batsman

Who and what is/are the record(s) ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
I had posted a question on Saturday (five posts above this). Looks like it did not get noticed :
I missed it due to your "cute question" post :)

Q1. Is it a batting record ?
Q2. Is it a test record ?
Q3. Is this (as given by you) the order in which each of them achieved it ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Here is the storyBeamed Into Exile of Gilchrist who was sent back for beaming an Indian first class cricketer and of Swaranjit Singh who quit first class cricket, it is claimed due to this incident.
This is the stuff which adds to trivia really.. some history behind the answers. :)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Q1. Is it a batting record ? Yes
Q2. Is it a test record ? No
Q3. Is this (as given by you) the order in which each of them achieved it ? Yes (The order could be anything - chronological or something else)
Q4 . None of them play cricket now

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
7. Did the Englshman play Ashes cricket? yes

8. If yes did he captain England in an Ashes Test? yes

This is moving faster than I expected :)

archie mac

International Coach
Did he captain against Australia before 1970?

If yes did he captain against Aust. before 1960?

I assume you were talking about WWll?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
9. Did he captain against Australia before 1970? Yes

10. If yes did he captain against Aust. before 1960? No

Q I assume you were talking about WWll?

I didn't say anything about WWII. All I have said so far is that the first guy was an early Indian (Test) cricketer.

archie mac

International Coach
Tapioca said:
Four batsmen who are connected by a similar record -

1. An early Indian cricketer
2. A South African
3. A post war Englishman
4. An Indian batsman

Who and what is/are the record(s) ?
I figured a post war Englishman was in reference to WWll?

Is the Englishman Lord Ted Dexter?