• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
Is it to do with the 1882/83 Test series?
Q9) No.

I'm off to bed now, so I'll leave you with a clue: the first concerns the composition of a particular country's (obviously a choice of two!) test side.

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Q9) No.

I'm off to bed now, so I'll leave you with a clue: the first concerns the composition of a particular country's (obviously a choice of two!) test side.
Still no idea, where are SJS and Jason when you need them?

Okay is the above clue for the Australian Team?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
Still no idea, where are SJS and Jason when you need them?

Okay is the above clue for the Australian Team?
Q10) No.

I'm at work just now, so don't have time for proper recap, but will try to do one later. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, as promised earlier & in time-honoured tradition it's time for a recap & another clue. My original question was:

Two players jointly share this cricketing first, starting a tradition that continues to this day. Who are they & what was the first?

One of them also holds another first, extra bonus point if you can name this too.

Q1) Are both players from the same country? Strictly speaking, no. (Anymore & I'll give the game away! Clue there... )
Q2) Are either of them current players? No.
Q3) Did they play before WW1? Yes.
Q4) Did they play in the First Test Match? No.
Q5) Did it occur in an Ashes Test? Yes.
Q) Was it the captain's who started this tradition? I honestly don't know! I suspect not, but as I can't answer "yes" or "no" I won't count this question.
Q6) Did it start in England? Strictly speaking, No.
Q7) Did it occur before the turn of the century? Yes.
Q8) Has it something to do with giving a warning? As in a Mankad No.
Q9) Is it to do with the 1882/83 Test series? No.

clue: the first concerns the composition of a particular country's (obviously a choice of two!) test side.

Q10) Okay is the above clue for the Australian Team? No.

Ok, my next clue is that 3 members of the most recent England test team can be said to be upholding this "tradition"...... :)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Born in a different country than the one they represented?

Edit: And Dale (won't call you DB, as that's the initals of an evil teacher at school) what's that on Warney's head in your avatar?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jamee999 said:
Born in a different country than the one they represented?

Edit: And Dale (won't call you DB, as that's the initals of an evil teacher at school) what's that on Warney's head in your avatar?
Q11) Yes! (although the first refers to England test players born outside of our borders, I think Australia beat us to it) Can you name the players?

& it's the laser-gubbins that's allegedly restoring Warney's thatch to its former glory. I thought it looked pretty comical. :p

archie mac

International Coach
Quite a number of Australia's first Test team were born OS including Charles Bannerman the first to score a Test ton. and Tom Horan born in Ireland. Was the first Englsih one, Ranji?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
Quite a number of Australia's first Test team were born OS including Charles Bannerman the first to score a Test ton. and Tom Horan born in Ireland. Was the first Englsih one, Ranji?
Q12) No.

Clue: Both played in the Melbourne test of 1878/79. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jamee999 said:
Lord Harris was born on Trinidad!

And Charles Bannerman was born in Kent.

Thank you CricInfo!
Lord Harris is one, yes. But Bannerman was playing for Oz, so there's still one to get. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jamee999 said:
Leland Hone born in Dublin!
Yep, he's yer man. He was also the first player to be selected for England without ever playing for a county. His test (his only one) was only his 3rd FC appearance.

Think you've earned that one, Jamee. Your go. :)