• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke - all hype, no performance

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Yet another failure. How long will the selectors let this go on?

All hype, no performance.
I love how you say this after every one of his failures, but ignore the thread when he does well. He got a good ball today. Why don't we see how he goes in the second innings, eh?

symonds

Cricket Spectator
the ball he got todat would have got most batsmen out that faced it, saying that corey collins or who eva is a pretty good bowler impressed me alot

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
symonds said:
the ball he got todat would have got most batsmen out that faced it, saying that corey collins or who eva is a pretty good bowler impressed me alot
Maybe. But that shouldn't hide the fact that he is averaging mid twenties for the calander year. A lot worse than Hayden's much talked about slump.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
I love how you say this after every one of his failures, but ignore the thread when he does well. He got a good ball today. Why don't we see how he goes in the second innings, eh?
Well, if he's in here when Clarke fails and not in here when he does well... it'd explain why this topic is always on the first page :ph34r:

Mister Wright

Jono said:
Well, if he's in here when Clarke fails and not in here when he does well... it'd explain why this topic is always on the first page :ph34r:
:laugh:

That's classic stuff.

I'd also like to know why FaaipDeOiad isn't in here when Clarke fails except for my insistence.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
Yet another failure. How long will the selectors let this go on?

All hype, no performance.
There you are! What prompted your reappearance in he....ahha! :D

howardj

International Coach
Since his century against NZ - more than a year ago - Michael Clarke averages a tick under 25.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
:laugh:

That's classic stuff.

I'd also like to know why FaaipDeOiad isn't in here when Clarke fails except for my insistence.
Because I don't feel the need to call for a player to be dropped every time they fail just because I don't like them?

There is a fair case to drop Clarke now, of course. If he fails again in Adelaide, I'd look at bringing someone else in for the series against South Africa. His Ashes was certainly good enough to retain his spot, but a series of failures against the West Indies would justify him being dropped, I think. He's certainly young enough to come back later, and both Hodge and Hussey have impressed.

social

FaaipDeOiad said:
Because I don't feel the need to call for a player to be dropped every time they fail just because I don't like them?

There is a fair case to drop Clarke now, of course. If he fails again in Adelaide, I'd look at bringing someone else in for the series against South Africa. His Ashes was certainly good enough to retain his spot, but a series of failures against the West Indies would justify him being dropped, I think. He's certainly young enough to come back later, and both Hodge and Hussey have impressed.
If Langer is back for Adelaide, one batsman must go.

Clarke may well be the future of Aus batting but we are dealing with the present.

Currently, both Hussey and Hodge look better players.

The only thing that will save Clarke is his age relative to the others.

Last edited:

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its annoying when people like Steve Waugh are calling for Clark to tighten up his technique and thus become the boring robotic player that Steve Waugh was and many are today. Unfortunately the way cricket is today Clark may be forced to do just that if he wishes to suceed, there is something seriously wrong if cricket is rewarding leeches like Hayden who wouldn't know what strokeplay is and disillusioning players like Clark because he doesn't have a 'tighter technique'.

social

Jason_M said:
Its annoying when people like Steve Waugh are calling for Clark to tighten up his technique and thus become the boring robotic player that Steve Waugh was and many are today. Unfortunately the way cricket is today Clark may be forced to do just that if he wishes to suceed, there is something seriously wrong if cricket is rewarding leeches like Hayden who wouldn't know what strokeplay is and disillusioning players like Clark because he doesn't have a 'tighter technique'.
Other major difference being that both Hayden and Steve Waugh have test averages over 50.

There wouldnt be calls for changes to Clarke's techique/approach if he was being successful.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jason_M said:
Its annoying when people like Steve Waugh are calling for Clark to tighten up his technique and thus become the boring robotic player
A lose shot leads to loss of wicket - some thing much more precious in test cricket than in the shorter version. Playing attractive strokes does not mean you are a better test player. Steve Waugh has a fair point.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
social said:
If Langer is back for Adelaide, one batsman must go.

Clarke may well be the future of Aus batting but we are dealing with the present.

Currently, both Hussey and Hodge look better players.

The only thing that will save Clarke is his age relative to the others.
Hussey at 4, Hodge at 5, no Clarke?

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Dasa said:
Hussey at 4, Hodge at 5, no Clarke?
I'll agree with that. Both batsman look mature as they should be at 30, the age where batsmen are really starting to peak. Hussy is looking every bit the test player at the moment (despite the modest attack) and his 100 says that he must be retained. Hodge has also shown enough class for mine, and must be given another chance. Clarke has just not performed.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well after today's failure i'd say its time he's dropped at least for now, but he's young & he'll be back & for me Australia's middle order at full srength should be Ponting, Martyn, Hodge, Watson, Gilly...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke's situation is actually similar to Hamish Marshall....Both young players who started their international cricket with a hiss and a roar, but both have fallen away recently. TBH I think their respective selctors would be doing them both a favour if they let them go back to first class cricket and allow them to have a break from Internationals...because both players confidence must be diminishing at a rapid rate

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is it a case of the second season syndrome?

We've seen a lot of that in County Cricket over here - one of the biggest examples being Ian Bell - so at least there's proof that if he is class, he'll make it in the end.

social

marc71178 said:
Is it a case of the second season syndrome?

We've seen a lot of that in County Cricket over here - one of the biggest examples being Ian Bell - so at least there's proof that if he is class, he'll make it in the end.
In a sense.

Both Bell and Clarke, IMO, have technical weaknesses that have been disvovered by the opposition - Bell doesnt move his feet early on and Clarke plays around his front leg and clearly goes at the ball too hard on occasion.

However, Clarke's biggest problem lies in the fact that he doesnt know which shots to nuture and which to discard. This is not a syptom of second season syndrome, it's inexperience and/or lack of discipline.

From personal experience, I can tell you that both Steve Waugh and Border had every shot in the book. They became great batsmen because they minimised the risky shots in their repertoire and found ways to overcome any technical deficiencies they had.

Time will tell whether Clarke has the discipline to do the same.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Clarke gets dropped it would be great to see him back playing for the Blues. At the start of the season we were expecting Katich and Clarke to be out for majority of the season, but if Clarke gets dropped then we will have them for major part of the season. Also i think it would be easier for him to work on his game outisde the expectations of the International Arena. All the players in the Australian Team have done it and now it will be Clarke's turn.

howardj

International Coach
Don't Sack Clarke, Says Slater

This is an interesting view from Michael Slater.

More generally, I think you have to be careful in dropping players who you actually think and hope (as the selectors do) will play a big part in the team's future. I mean, dropping a player can have a devastating effect on them mentally, and sometimes they never - even if they do make it back - quite recover.

Dropping an insecure personality like Slater for instance (when he was averaging 47) was probably the worst thing the selectors could have done to him. What made that sacking even more bizarre was that, as he points out above, he returned to the team exactly the same player as when he was dropped (ie still impulsive). Anyway, I think they should think long and hard before (and if) they drop Clarke.