• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

matthew hayden or brian lara?

lara or hayden?

• brian lara

Votes: 63 84.0%
  • matthew hayden

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
It's avatar bet time buddy. I will bet you that Hayden will average over 50 for the entire series.
I'm a conservative guy, you know that - I want to see how Hoggy starts the summer first.
Because let's face it - if Hoggy doesn't get him, I can't see who's going to.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Richard said:
Which is not true - he has, however, only made runs against poor seam-attacks, which, for an opener, really is a reason to be enormously overrated.
completely agree, that is precisely why lara gets my vote over the big man.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Richard said:
I'm a conservative guy, you know that - I want to see how Hoggy starts the summer first.
Because let's face it - if Hoggy doesn't get him, I can't see who's going to.
Gareth Batty! LOL

nah only joking, i can see quite a few people getting him actually, all its gonna take is a few stray shots, although i rather suspect that you are right.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So you've gone from this:

Richard said:
380 (and I am now assured it was chanceless) is a good performance regardless.
To this:

Richard said:
No, of course, never mind someone being gifted two shots in one innings at a record - one of the most prescient records going round, in fact.
You clearly didn't see the knock at all. I wish before you'd talk about cricket, you'd actually watch rather than using other people's opinions and reports on the match as fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:

*BLAH*

To this:

*BLAH*

You clearly didn't see the knock at all. I wish before you'd talk about cricket, you'd actually watch rather than using other people's opinions and reports on the match as fact.
No, I didn't really take much interest in the second day's play at all, it was so obvious what was going to happen.
I'm still not certain at all whether or not it was chanceless - all my second post you quoted meant was that IF he was dropped it WOULD matter, one hell of a lot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cbuts said:
lara's original record (375*) was against an england side that was nto much better than that zimbabwe team
Come off it, that England team weren't the best, but they were far from being that bad.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jono said:

To this:

Brilliant.. Total rinseout.. I hope people can now form a suitable opinion, if they haven't already 8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Really?
Despite me providing a perfectly valid explanation?
380 is a good performance regardless..

Kind of blows a couple of thousand of your posts out of the water, doesn't it? What if he was dropped seventeen times?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here?
Richard said:
I'm still not certain at all whether or not it was chanceless - all my second post you quoted meant was that IF he was dropped it WOULD matter, one hell of a lot.
Not that I'd expect you to accept that because it'd be another destroyed opportunity to manufacture a contradiction.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which one? The one Rich said?
If so, yes - because any innings is as good as what you scored before you got yourself out - regardless of nothing.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Hayden is overrated. I dont think its any co incidence that he failed at a time when fast bowling talent was high and excelled when it was rock bottom.
His record seems to prove hes an excellent player though. Lara is one of the best ever so its no shame not being as good or close.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly this thread is not to show that Lara is better than Hayden for no one, well almost no one, would have a doubt on that score. This is just to find a way to rubbish Hayden.

deeps

International 12th Man
hayden is successful when the bowlers like harmison are topping the bowling lists

lara had donald, waqar, wasim, pollock, all at their peaks as well as many many other very very good quick bowlers... in comparison, the bowling standards of today are shocking

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Clearly this thread is not to show that Lara is better than Hayden for no one, well almost no one, would have a doubt on that score. This is just to find a way to rubbish Hayden.
Well... just to show that things didn't change between it's former life and it's current one. :)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
deeps said:
hayden is successful when the bowlers like harmison are topping the bowling lists

lara had donald, waqar, wasim, pollock, all at their peaks as well as many many other very very good quick bowlers... in comparison, the bowling standards of today are shocking
You can only play who fronts up. Its no use blamig the player if the opposition is no good. If he is no good, why have no other players achieved what he has (380 in a test, 4 consective years of 1000+ runs, 20 centuries in 50 odd tests,average of over 50)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because no other players have played enough matches on enough good pitches against enough poor bowling-attacks.