• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

matthew hayden or brian lara?

lara or hayden?

• brian lara

Votes: 63 84.0%
  • matthew hayden

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Richard said:
Hahaha, yeah. Right!:lol: :lol:
Hayden will be eaten for breakfast in 2005 if you ask me, because surely by then we will have realised that seamer-friendly conditions are neccessary, Caddick has recenty announced that he's still hoping to be there then; Hoggard and Anderson will surely have developed into good bowlers by that time; and who knows how many other good seamers may have appeared? Kabir Ali for instance.
Well, England have to win the Ashes sometime and the last few series, they have been competitive, to an extent. Haydens run has to end sooner or later....preferably later!

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Both. If I were to pick my favourite XI they would both be in my team. Hayden as an opener and Lara in the middle order.

And Richard - Hayden's knock was chanceless until 376, it was the first ball after tea on the second day and he thumped Gripper down the ground and Blignaut dropped him on the deep mid-off rope (although he had to leap about 3 metres in the air to even get a hand on it) and it went for 4. He then swept the next ball out to deep square-leg where he was caught for 380.

P.S. This is about the 4th time this thread has come up since I have been a member.
Incorrect Mate :P

Vermeulen definately dropped him at long on in the 240's ;).
I remembar it clearly , think it might have ended up going for 6 in the end but it was a pretty regulation chance & he spilled it :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
Incorrect Mate :P

Vermeulen definately dropped him at long on in the 240's ;).
I remembar it clearly , think it might have ended up going for 6 in the end but it was a pretty regulation chance & he spilled it :lol:
Very odd how these three different Aussies (Kyle, david and Eclipse) all remember the happenings differently. Some say the 1st-ball lbw was plumb, some say it was missing leg. Some say there were two chances, both "hard", some say one.
Long-on seems to be the only thing in common.:(
Surely someone can find a video and clarify. Corey's my best bet; if you hear our cry, TC, help!:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SquidAU said:
Well, England have to win the Ashes sometime and the last few series, they have been competitive, to an extent. Haydens run has to end sooner or later....preferably later!
In essence England have been competetive\dominant in recent Ashes:
The whole SCG Test of last year's tour, and the last couple of days at The MCG, and the second day at Brisbane.
The last day at Headingley, the third day at The Oval, the second half of the second day at Trent Bridge, and the very short two spells at the top and bottom of the Edgbaston first-innings.
The third (or official fourth) day at The MCG and occasional other occasions in the 1998\99 tour.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Very odd how these three different Aussies (Kyle, david and Eclipse) all remember the happenings differently. Some say the 1st-ball lbw was plumb, some say it was missing leg. Some say there were two chances, both "hard", some say one.
Long-on seems to be the only thing in common.:(
Surely someone can find a video and clarify. Corey's my best bet; if you hear our cry, TC, help!:D
he was droped just after he passed Bradman's highest test score I will go and get the ball by ball coverage if anyone want's proof.

PY

International Coach
I'll save you a job. :)

Australia v Zimbabwe, Perth Oct 2003

Utterly useless in helping decide whether he was dropped on 335*, 376*.

Best I can find is:
107.3 Blignaut to Hayden, two runs, lofted into the vacant green behind the mid on - a faint chance of a catch if that man had run in the correct direction.

108.2 Gripper to Hayden, SIX, lofted into the fence behind the long on who cannot take it. (This may be the Vermeulen incident)

Need some highlights methinks.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Maybe you are typing that because you peeved off that Lara flayed your beloved South Africans in Jo'burg and in Cape Town.
Quite the opposite, he hasnt gone down in my opinion just because he hits runs against SA lol... By that logic I would be raving about the likes of Adam Sanford :D

I rate Hayden's technique as superior, Im sure he would pull Australia out of many holes if he was a middle order batsman.. but he isnt... I find Hayden more reliable too, and just because he bats in a team full of class batsman, it doesnt change what he does...

I dont rate Lara as much as a role model or captain, but thats my opinion, and its not part of this discussion..

PY

International Coach
Looks like Hayden is getting a whooping though.

Both are quality, all comes down to batting style preferences and their respective nationalities really.

Lara it is then.....:D :saint: :P

Hayds_not_Shoab

Cricket Spectator
One word. H.A.Y.D.E.N. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY Better. Having the best average in the best team in the history of International cricket = Best player going.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Hayds_not_Shoab said:
One word. H.A.Y.D.E.N. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY Better. Having the best average in the best team in the history of International cricket = Best player going.
Averages aren't everything, and I think you'll find that Hayden doesn't have the highest average in his team. :p

cbuts

International Debutant
many reords have been st against teams that aint up to scratch. eventually eople will forget that haydens record was against a struggling zimbabwe and will appreciate the record for what it was. lara's original record (375*) was against an england side that was nto much better than that zimbabwe team

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Hahaha, yeah. Right!:lol: :lol:
Hayden will be eaten for breakfast in 2005 if you ask me, because surely by then we will have realised that seamer-friendly conditions are neccessary, Caddick has recenty announced that he's still hoping to be there then; Hoggard and Anderson will surely have developed into good bowlers by that time; and who knows how many other good seamers may have appeared? Kabir Ali for instance.
And those conditions will play right into Australia's hands.

Better seam attack plus better batting lineup = Ashes retained.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
Neither sound like particularly easy chances though...

That catch when he was near or past Bradman's record was a sitter. I saw it in Sportscenter India.....I remember it real well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would rate the 94 English attack better than Zim's attack when Hayden broke the record. Also, WI were 11/2 when Lara came in.....so, he actually performed under a bit of pressure, unlike Hayden.

I am not putting down Hayden at all. I think he is an awesome strokeplayer and one of the best test match players going around. I just don't think he is as good as Lara. Of course, I would like Hayden more if he voices opinions on things concerning him for a change. Anyone noticed that now he is keeping a low profile, he is already playing better than he did during the whole latter half of last year, when he was busy voicing his opinions about everything.......from Murali to Tendulkar....

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
I would rate the 94 English attack better than Zim's attack when Hayden broke the record. Also, WI were 11/2 when Lara came in.....so, he actually performed under a bit of pressure, unlike Hayden.

I am not putting down Hayden at all. I think he is an awesome strokeplayer and one of the best test match players going around. I just don't think he is as good as Lara. Of course, I would like Hayden more if he voices opinions on things concerning him for a change. Anyone noticed that now he is keeping a low profile, he is already playing better than he did during the whole latter half of last year, when he was busy voicing his opinions about everything.......from Murali to Tendulkar....
I think it was a matter of identifying the pluarasy and getting the correct medication so now he has returned to full fitness.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
In essence England have been competetive\dominant in recent Ashes:
The whole SCG Test of last year's tour, and the last couple of days at The MCG, and the second day at Brisbane.
The last day at Headingley, the third day at The Oval, the second half of the second day at Trent Bridge, and the very short two spells at the top and bottom of the Edgbaston first-innings.
The third (or official fourth) day at The MCG and occasional other occasions in the 1998\99 tour.
They have won one "live" test match in 16 years. Hooray

Hasib

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I see no point in this poll... Lara is way beta... having said that... Hayden is still a great player.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
He was fully fit during the tour to India and throughout last summer...
Was he? Don't forget that he was intially rested because he was tired and run down. If he had the virus for a while it certainly could have his performances.