• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

matthew hayden or brian lara?

lara or hayden?

• brian lara

Votes: 63 84.0%
  • matthew hayden

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
He did actually, he just had some massive ones as well.

Ponting series averages since 2003 Ashes
vs England 52.13
vs West Indies 130.75
vs Bangladesh 34.50
vs Zimbabwe 129.50
vs India 100.86
vs Sri Lanka 33.00
vs Sri Lanka 33.50
vs India 11.50
vs New Zealand 72.50
vs Pakistan 100.75
Total average over period: 72.05

Martyn series averages since 2003 Ashes
vs England 40.00
vs Zimbabwe 42.50
vs India 42.33
vs Sri Lanka 55.50
vs Sri Lanka 50.75
vs India 55.50
vs New Zealand 41.50
vs Pakistan 103.33
Total average over period: 52.10
Given that Ponting has never been great shakes against spin it's no surprise whatsoever that he struggled in Sri Lanka and India.
I was talking about Ponting before home 2003\04, not after.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Given that Ponting has never been great shakes against spin it's no surprise whatsoever that he struggled in Sri Lanka and India.
I was talking about Ponting before home 2003\04, not after.
He only played one game though, thats hardly proof that he wouldve struggled.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I just assumed since you said in your post "since Ashes 2003" and "vs India" you would include the home series. Or are you just selecting the series you want to help your cause?
I listed every series between Ashes 2003 and now, including both Indian series.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
He did actually, he just had some massive ones as well.

Ponting series averages since 2003 Ashes
vs Bangladesh 34.50
vs Sri Lanka 33.50
vs India 11.50
Doesn't really say much because in each of those 3 "lean series", he only played 2 innings. (And in the other SL series, he was sawn off in half his innings)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jnr. said:
Doesn't really say much because in each of those 3 "lean series", he only played 2 innings. (And in the other SL series, he was sawn off in half his innings)
I pointed that out earlier. I'm simply saying that while Martyn hasn't averaged under 40 in a single series since the last Ashes, other players who have been in good form have, hence calling Martyn inconsistent is ridiculous. I'm not actually saying that Ponting is particularly inconsistent either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Martyn is not stupidly inconsistent: he had a period of consistency and consistent mediocrity last year.
But he's still more inconsistent than some.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
He only played one game though, thats hardly proof that he wouldve struggled.
He struggled; that's all that matters.
I'm not saying it's conclusive proof of much, but given everything else that's happened when he's been batting against spin, it's something.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Martyn is not stupidly inconsistent: he had a period of consistency and consistent mediocrity last year.
But he's still more inconsistent than some.
Yeah right. He scored 6 (that's one more than five) centuries last year and numerous match-winning innings plus being player of the series in both Sri Lanka and India.

If that's mediocre then I hope Australia has many more mediocre players like him.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
social said:
Yeah right. He scored 6 (that's one more than five) centuries last year and numerous match-winning innings plus being player of the series in both Sri Lanka and India.

If that's mediocre then I hope Australia has many more mediocre players like him.
I think Richard meant that 2003 was Martyn's mediocre year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:

Martyn in 2003\04 played 15 innings, and chancelessly passed 66 once. It was so bad, and because it extended into ODIs, that there were questions asked of his place a couple of times.
In 2004\05 he's generally been exemplary, but even then he's had a 4-innings period where he passed 7 once.