• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2011

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe not!

Then again we only have one good bowler so a bit too early to judge!
Joe Gatting playing a lone hand in the middle order to keep Sussex afloat, and Sam Northeast making three figures at Chelmsford to give Kent something resembling a total.

Meanwhile, Durham are crashing Hampshire around the Rose Bowl, Jon Batty and Will Gidman are attempting to repair what will be the first of many Gloucestershire top order collapses, James Taylor got 45 but gave it away, and Surrey's entire side has copied by wasting starts.

Tomorrow's quandary: Oxford UCCE v Notts or Bristol Rovers v Exeter City?

Neil Pickup

Five wickets for an English leggie at Worcester as early as 8 April - now that is promising - and almost certainly a record I would think
Given that this is the earliest ever start to the County season - glorious sunshine notwithstanding - I'd probably say it is.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Northeast has scored approximately 1/6 of the total runs he manage last season. 2010 was a real lean year for him with four 50s and no centuries so hopefully he can make amends this year, started in good fashion. No wickets for Bopara but kept it relatively tight, got the chance to make a decent score now as it's Essex's turn to bat.

Durham aren't hanging about, currently 336/4 after 73 overs. Benkenstein 101*, Ben Stokes was the only one to miss out on making a start as he was Simon Jones's only wicket to date.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Joe Gatting playing a lone hand in the middle order to keep Sussex afloat
Want to see Gatting do well, made a huge score on debut before backing it up with absolutely nothing but his dad has links with Arsenal.
Sussex's tail is genuinely awful.

James Taylor :( Is James Harris injured?

Great stuff from Rashid, does anybody know where Sayers usually fields? Not a bad return from SiBo either.

Neil Pickup

Sayers was out injured all 2010 - couldn't tell you. Only 51 catches in 85 FC games, too, but there are no other obvious slippers in that Yorkshire side with McGrath not playing... and as I type Rashid picks up Ben Cox for his sixth. One more will get him his career best return.

Googling "Joe Sayers at slip" supports that suggestion. Amazing that we've got turn in April - but that's what happens when it doesn't rain for four weeks. Might end up opening the school season by giving the new ball to a spinner at this rate...

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

AN Cook c GO Jones b DI Stevens 6 (25).

Anyone surprised?

Meanwhile, Danny Briggs (4/104) has removed Blackwell and Benkenstein after a 136-run stand.

flibbertyjibber

Darren Stevens opening the bowling for Kent shows how bad their attack is. Got 3 wickets though including Bopara for a duck. :laugh:

Yorkshire let Worcestershire off the hook with that 68 run stand for the 10th wicket.:@

Howe_zat

Audio File
Darren Stevens opening the bowling for Kent shows how bad their attack is. Got 3 wickets though including Bopara for a duck. :laugh:
5-for now. Essex are falling apart.

Yorkshire let Worcestershire off the hook with that 68 run stand for the 10th wicket.:@
Yeah, really annoying tail-end clubbing too. Still, I'm seriously stoked for Rashid, from the sounds of it this was a very placid deck and Worcs have been kept to well below par:

[Worcestershire] weathered the new ball with seeming ease, but Rashid changed the game. There was little evidence of turn for the 23-year-old leg-spinner, he used flight, dip and a clever change of pace to baffle the Worcester batsmen.
Rashid's introduction to the attack in the 21st over was sign that the New Road pitch had given little help to the Yorkshire seam attack.

Howsie

International Captain
There is something seriously wrong in Darren Stevens opening the bowling let alone picking up five wickets.

Decent start for Gloucestershire, given the line up you'd think they would take that at the end of the day.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've never heard so much hype coming out of Headingley about a new player that I've heard about Joe Root. So excited for him.

flibbertyjibber

I've never heard so much hype coming out of Headingley about a new player that I've heard about Joe Root. So excited for him.
Yeah, even more for Root than there was for Lyth. Lyth took a while to click so we may have to give Root time but the early hype about Root is a bit worrying really. Might put too much pressure on the kid when he just needs to play cricket with freedom.