• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2011

FBU

International Debutant
Once Meaker has spent a whole season bowling about 400+ overs his speed won't stay in the 90s for long or he will pick up injuries.

Howsie

International Captain
Are there any Gloucestershire fans on CW?

What are James Fuller's actual chances of getting game time early on in the season because going by some of Alex Gidman's comments Fuller could well be playing the first game of the season.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am keeping an eye on Gloucestershire lately as we have developed quite a strong like with them as a bordering Minor County, but James Fuller? I missed that one entirely... I see he's a Kiwi. I know they have acquired a lot of young English players following their clearout last summer - this season is likely IMO to be one of rebuilding, and getting beaten.

morgieb

I am keeping an eye on Gloucestershire lately as we have developed quite a strong like with them as a bordering Minor County, but James Fuller? I missed that one entirely... I see he's a Kiwi. I know they have acquired a lot of young English players following their clearout last summer - this season is likely IMO to be one of rebuilding, and getting beaten.
Most people said the same thing about Worcestershire....don't think lightning will strike twice though.

Woodster

International Captain
Are there any Gloucestershire fans on CW?

What are James Fuller's actual chances of getting game time early on in the season because going by some of Alex Gidman's comments Fuller could well be playing the first game of the season.
On the basis Gloucestershire are very weak looking on paper, there is a good chance he'll feature on a pretty consistent basis providing his performances are up to scratch. Gloucester obviously lost their two main bowlers from last season, Steve Kirby and Gemaal Hussian both joining Somerset, yet retain the services of the experienced Jon Lewis. After that it's generally kids and plenty of inexperience, Saxelby, Payne, Norwell and of course the guy they signed from the army man David Wade.

I agree with Neil, think John Bracewell will have his work cut out this season, but a great opportunity for the younger players.

Woodster

International Captain
The eve of the Championship season is upon us! Here's a quick look at tomorrow's fixtures in Division One :
Hants vs Durham - Tough opener for both sides. Durham much closer to full strength than they were for the majority of last season, Harmison will lead the attack, backed up by useful County seamers such as Plunkett, Claydon, and Thorp. The exciting Ben Stokes has supposedly won promotion in the batting order, likely to come in at four. Just hope they're not rushing him, batting him a touch lower gives him the freedom to play his shots, let's hope he takes his chance higher up the order, but I'd prefer him at around 5/6.

Hants could have Simon Jones and Friedel de Wet opening the bowling, which is an exciting and potential very threatening partnership. Backed up by the skipper Cork and possibly the spinning talent of Briggs, this is an attack that comes close to Durham, if not in squad depth, certainly in the first XI. Runs on the board will be even more crucial in this encounter, while winning CC games is about taking 20 wickets, the batsmen that succeed in this fixture will go a long way to securing their side a result.

Lancs v Sussex - The venue - Liverpool, that makes this fixture look even more interesting, and even more likely for either side to get a result. Lancs have always looked one batsman short in their line-up for a few years, and some of the top 5 really need to stand up. Paul Horton cannot be as poor as last season, while Steven Croft continues to grow. Maharoof will not play tomorrow due to Visa complications.

For Sussex the English trio of Prior, Yardy and Wright may be missing, but Rana Naved returns and Amjad Khan I expect will debut. Murray Goodwin skippers, The captain along with Ed Joyce will be under pressure to score a high percentage of the runs.

Worcester vs Yorkshire - How much will the loss of Jaques Rudolph hurt Yorkshire ? That is a lot of runs to find for Yorks, Joe Sayers will return to the side after missing plenty of 2010, and they hope Anthony McGrath is fit enough to play a part. Ryan Sidebottom makes his return, and that is surely going to be a quality signing.

On paper Yorks will start as strong favourites, despite missing the likes of Bresnan and Shahzad. Worcester will hope Moeen Ali and Alexei Kervezee can replicate their form in the second division, and the next four days will be a huge test for them. Australian Damien Wright could be crucial on these early season pitches.

Woodster

International Captain
I cannot believe the season starts tomorrow!

Lanky lambs to the slaughter...
Inclined to agree. Lancs look pretty short in the batting department for me, not so bad with their strongest XI on the pitch, one or two injuries and they'll be in real trouble, no combination of overseas players to help out in this area in 2011. I like Steven Croft from what I've seen, but he is just developing nicely rather than capable of dominating matches on a consistent basis. Having Stephen Moore back is a boost for Lancs, and surely we'll see something like the real Horton again this season. Just don't think as a batting unit on the whole they're is going to be enough runs there. Hope Karl Brown opens too.

Good opportunity for Amjad to get off to a flyer ??

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
Inclined to agree. Lancs look pretty short in the batting department for me, not so bad with their strongest XI on the pitch, one or two injuries and they'll be in real trouble, no combination of overseas players to help out in this area in 2011. I like Steven Croft from what I've seen, but he is just developing nicely rather than capable of dominating matches on a consistent basis. Having Stephen Moore back is a boost for Lancs, and surely we'll see something like the real Horton again this season. Just don't think as a batting unit on the whole they're is going to be enough runs there. Hope Karl Brown opens too.

Good opportunity for Amjad to get off to a flyer ??
Most bowlers would look good on the minefield of Aigburth cricket ground. Hopefully the wickets might be a bit better this year as we are playing quite a few games here, but I doubt it. Can't see many of our fragile top order lasting too long. Might pop up on sunday if its not over by then! :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Joe Root in the Yorkshire team, good luck to the young man.

So good to have cricket back for the next 6 months.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
17 year-old Reece Topley plays for Essex, his dad interviewed on the out-field, interesting considering his history with Essex.

Stapel

International Regular
I was just checking some scores. And, to my surprise, I saw a Hampshire bowler named Simon Philip Jones.

That is great news. I thought he was out forever! Is there any chance he can get back to his 2005 Ashes level? He is 32 now. Should be possible!

flibbertyjibber

Adil Rashid started well 3-16. Worcestershire were 91-1 now 108-4 on what my dad says looks a very good batting track.

Briggs has a couple for Hampshire too. Spinners in wickets on opening day of the season. Weird.

Last edited:

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
Most bowlers would look good on the minefield of Aigburth cricket ground. Hopefully the wickets might be a bit better this year as we are playing quite a few games here, but I doubt it. Can't see many of our fragile top order lasting too long. Might pop up on sunday if its not over by then! :laugh:
Maybe not!

Then again we only have one good bowler so a bit too early to judge!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Rashid's picked up a five-for on the first day, Worcestershire reduced to 197/8 after amounting a recovery to get them to 191/5. Rashid has 21-7-50-5.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Five wickets for an English leggie at Worcester as early as 8 April - now that is promising - and almost certainly a record I would think