• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2011

stumpski

International Captain
Fantastic win with just 3 minutes (10 balls, at most) to spare: Kerrigan 9 for 51.

You can go and revive yourself with a small shandy now Martin.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Always good to see so much go down to the final week. Not sure how to feel about supporting Durham though. I think I liked them at one point, but...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lots of people tend to start hating Durham when they join this place. I do wonder why.
Meh, Scaly makes me only like them a bit less, they're new money, and very Northern. Leave winning championships to us Southern sides that have never done it.

Hope Lanky don't win though, mainly because of SKd's uncharitable posts against Somerset.

Also their fans annoy me like Man City's always going on about how terrible their supporting lives are, whilst actually forgetting they're quite successful comparatively.

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Few interesting decisions for England to make for their Test Winter touring squad. Some are putting in some great domestic performances to keep them in contention.

Assuming Morgan is fit, who will they take as the back up spinner(s), keeper, batsman and quicky?

Can assume that: Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Morgan, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Tremlett are nailed on. But they will need at least 1 spinner extra, 1 keeper, 1 more batsman and then either a third spinner or an additional quicky!

Recent form suggests the spinner's birth could be the most interesting, with all in fairly good form.

Batsman: Bopara? Hales? Stokes? Taylor?
Keeper: Kieswetter? Davies? Bairstow?
Spinner: Panesar? Briggs? Kerrigan? Keedy?
3rd Spinner/Extra Quick: Patel? Rashid? Finn? Onions? Dernbach?

I'd probably go Bopara (with his additional bowling), Bairstow, Panesar and Onions. With Patel on standby, even with the squad if needs be.

grecian

Few interesting decisions for England to make for their Test Winter touring squad. Some are putting in some great domestic performances to keep them in contention.

Assuming Morgan is fit, who will they take as the back up spinner(s), keeper, batsman and quicky?

Can assume that: Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Morgan, Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Tremlett are nailed on. But they will need at least 1 spinner extra, 1 keeper, 1 more batsman and then either a third spinner or an additional quicky!

Recent form suggests the spinner's birth could be the most interesting, with all in fairly good form.

Batsman: Bopara? Hales? Stokes? Taylor?
Keeper: Kieswetter? Davies? Bairstow?
Spinner: Panesar? Briggs? Kerrigan? Keedy?
3rd Spinner/Extra Quick: Patel? Rashid? Finn? Onions? Dernbach?

I'd probably go Bopara (with his additional bowling), Bairstow, Panesar and Onions. With Patel on standby, even with the squad if needs be.
Davies and Finn have done nothing wrong in my opinion, both should go as back-up, Davies is also a back-up opener, and we really need one of those.

Boo on Bopara, but I guess he'll be hanging around like a bad sp/mell.

Monty has to be second spinner, has had a good season, and has Test match form.

CK should be nowhere near Tests, nor Hales or Dirtbag.

Hales, Bairstow, Taylor, Briggs, Kerrigan, Woakes can all benefit from A team performances.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd take:

Strauss, Cook, Trott, Bell, Pietersen, Morgan, Taylor, Prior, Bairstow, Bresnan, Broad, Anderson, Tremlett, Finn, Swann, Panesar.

Reasons, aside form the players who pick themselves:

> Morgan is still under probation as a Test player but this is not the time to drop him, plus we need our best players of spin.

> Panesar as second spinner because he's been around the squad already, has plenty of Test and overseas experience, and has been one of the best spinners in the championship for two seasons running. I doubt he has really improved his game enough, but no one else has staked enough of a claim. Samit Patel I just don't see making an impact as a bowler, and if we play 5 bowlers we need to play to our strengths with all 4 quicks.

> Steve Finn for that one spell in three that can get some bounce on a dead surface against batsmen who might not be used to it. I'm sure I saw him reverse it in the Ashes too, and that's pretty handy to have if the ball dies early. Again, experienced, and I think he has improved this year.

> Bairstow is a hunch is all. I just think he's the business. I wouldn't mind Davies at all, and if the UAE serves up the roads it normally does I wouldn't be that fussed if we took Keiswetter, though he shouldn't be anywhere near the Test outfit elsewhere, and I like to avoid horses for courses if I can. Back up keepers hardly ever get a game so it'd just be good to see Bairstow around the squad.

Last edited:

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Now Bell can just go up to 3 with very little hassle, do we need to worry about back-up openers? Trott goes up to open and Bell slides in at 3.

I agree that our Lions squad this Winter looks pretty promising! We could see the real future of England playing in the FC and Limited Overs games....

Hales, Roy, Taylor, Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Harris, Finn, Briggs, Borthwick, Dernbach etc.

Any idea where the Lions are playing this Winter? Duleep Trophy again? Or just popping over to UAE and playing Pakistan 'A' and Sri Lanka 'A' etc.?

Be great if they could get a warm-up game or two against the full side.

MikeyMcD

Cricket Spectator
This is what Swann said on the selection of the spinners:

"I'd take three spinners, especially to Sri Lanka.

"Scotty is going to be a great player. He's the one who's been bowling the best this year and, on the evidence of what i've seen and heard, he is an incredibly exciting talent.

"I'd also take Monty Panesar, who's been bowling really well by all accounts."

The quotes are from the mirror. It seems Borthwick is impressing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Bopara
Tremlett
Davies
Finn
Panesar

Is the squad I'd expect to see go. The 13 that played in the India series will go, as much as I'd prefer Taylor to Bopara I can't see the logic in actually picking Bopara for the last 2 Tests if he's not the next cab off the ranks in the selector's eyes. Tremlett if fit is the back up quick, I'd imagine Finn will go as well, Davies was picked as backup keeper for the Ashes tour and nothing suggests he won't be the keeper taken, and Panesar has had a good county season and was the backup spinner for the Ashes tour.

17 would be too many to take for a 3 Test tour, so I don't see Taylor going. As far as the Test side goes there's no reason for a left field selection, we have a strong settled lineup with the backup options (IMO) firmly entrenched as well. Morgan's the one player in the XI that might be on notice, but Bopara's selection and position as the only other middle order batsman in the country with Test experience means he's first reserve. IMO Taylor will probably have to wait until the West Indies series to push his claim for a place.

edit: a 3rd spinner might go ahead of Finn, but I can't think of anyone deserving of a place in the squad and such a selection would be as a result of the "must play 2 spinners in the subcontinent" mistake that non SC teams often make.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes, pretty much same as everyone else, got to admit I quite fancy Onions as a back up seamer, his wicket to wicket bowling could go well on the sub continent.
I think the back ups pick themselves, with Davies as keeper, he can cover a number of batting positions as well.
A player that's passed selection by over the years is Keedy but he still is by some distance the best spinner in the Country behind Swann,. he's taken 56 wickets at 23 this year and last year he took 31 at 22, it's a shame he's 36.

fredfertang

A player that's passed selection by over the years is Keedy but he still is by some distance the best spinner in the Country behind Swann,. he's taken 56 wickets at 23 this year and last year he took 31 at 22, it's a shame he's 36.
Would've agreed up until today - having listened to the commentary from Aigbirth for nearly all the afternoon I'm not convinced now that he's even the best spinner in his county

Scaly piscine

Lost the toss at Taunton, could be a long day.
Will be if Hogg keeps bowling 3 no-balls in an over.

Can't see Somerset putting up much of a fight personally, 1 down so far. For Durham to win it will realistically need Warwickshire scoring less than 300 in a rain-effected draw or Hampshire winning that game AND Lancashire drawing/losing. Durham need to score 400+ too and win obviously.