• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Northerner

Cricket Spectator
Honest first impressions of that squad upon reading is that it's weaker than I've seen for a long time, especially on the bowling front. At the very least, without Jimmy after the first test, it is extremely green.

Because we're so weak at batting, and I assume the pitches will be flat to suit bazball style, I believe England will win comfortably, but if our lineup can't score runs in England against that attack, it feels like they never will.
Agreed, this squad does not fill me with any confidence,

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Bashir over Leach (and Hartley/Ahmed) is an interesting call too. Not sure yet how I feel on that one. Hope he can come good obviously, but Tests are a tough environment for young spinners to develop in. Expect him to be targeted by the opposition, so he'll need to be prepared for that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bashir over Leach (and Hartley/Ahmed) is an interesting call too. Not sure yet how I feel on that one. Hope he can come good obviously, but Tests are a tough environment for young spinners to develop in. Expect him to be targeted by the opposition, so he'll need to be prepared for that.
Thought Hartley might have got the nod for his batting but with Woakes there I suppose it’s not a huge deal.

danzydab

U19 12th Man
Very harsh on Robinson the seamer imo. He has done pretty well when he isnt injured.

I see somebody saying Sam Cook is injured, hope that is the case/

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bairstow can have no complaints but Smith barely keeps for Surrey so I'd have gone for Robinson.
Yeah, he's averaging over 80 for the season too, so it does ask the question what more could he have done.

More fuel to the persecution complex fire that burns pretty brightly amongst some residents of our northern provinces.

FBU

International Debutant
So will the bowling be Anderson, Pennington, Atkinson, Stokes, Bashir for the 1st Test?
2nd Test Woakes, Pennington, Atkinson, Stokes, Bashir?

Dropped - Ahmed, Bairstow, Robinson, Hartley, Leach, Wood, Foakes
Added - Lawrence, Pennington, Smith, Woakes, Potts

Last edited:

Hungry Llama

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So will the bowling be Anderson, Pennington, Atkinson, Stokes, Bashir for the 1st Test?
2nd Test Woakes, Pennington, Atkinson, Stokes, Bashir?

Dropped - Ahmed, Bairstow, Robinson, Hartley, Leach, Wood, Foakes
Added - Lawrence, Pennington, Smith, Woakes, Potts
surely woakes & Potts at lords unless injured; penny atkins and bash = 2 on debut and 1
newbie in england looks too risky to me even for the brave new world of bashball
and a long tail to boot. Maybe 1 of Potts/Gus/Penny, so

Creepy
Ducky
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Smith
Woakes
Potts/Gus/Penny
Jimmy
bash

Brook's side

International Debutant
I'd add by the way, that just because Surrey has given the gloves to Foakes when both of them are playing, it doesn't mean that they think that Foakes would be the more valuable player of the two in the England side. It just means they think he's a better gloveman.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's an article in the Telegraph today suggesting that Robinson has effectively had his card marked permanently; is this the general sense around him?

It was always very obvious that he wasn't quite so interested in keeping up with the professional standards that the modern game demands.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
There's an article in the Telegraph today suggesting that Robinson has effectively had his card marked permanently; is this the general sense around him?

It was always very obvious that he wasn't quite so interested in keeping up with the professional standards that the modern game demands.
Yeah I think that's the vibe.

Shame as he is obviously very talented and the series in Pakistan in particular showed his potential when he was actually giving it all (on and off the pitch). But think you've captured it well with your "professional standards" comment. It's been a question mark over him his whole career and I think Stokes et al are done with him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Link?