• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Congratulations* Brian Lara 10,000 Test Runs!

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
yeah, I dont rate Lara on the stats, I rate him on how I see him batting
IMO Sachin looks better in full-flow than Lara.. Only place where Lara looks better is horizontal bat shots (not cut though), in the rest Sachin is a joy to watch...

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
delkap said:
As for landmarks, stats etc.. True Lara has got bigger inns, but they were on flat tracks, and only prove that Lara has more staying power (stamina etc) Doesn't make him a better player..

What is more imp than HS,is avg IMO and Sachin's is higher.. Also no. of 100s is higher.. Consistency has been better apart from last year..

QUOTE]

Lara's 2 biggest scores were made on flat tracks, but perhaps Sachin has played on easier batting surfaces on the whole during his career (a reasonable assumption given that he's played approximately half his games in India).

A high average is obviously very important, but there are numerous batsmen with higher averages than Viv Richards, who very few people would rate higher than the Master Blaster.

Again, year-in year-out consistency is very commendable, but should Lara be penalised for a couple of seasons of poor form, which may have had a lot to do with off the field distractions, when set against periods of sheer brilliance like the 94-95 run of form that included 2 world records and 7 (?) centuries in as many innings; the incredible performance in Sri Lanka and the 99 (?) home series against the Aussies?

At the risk of becoming very repetitive, the bottom line is that it all comes down to subjective opinions, so I think we'll just have to agree to disagree (which I know is a feeble way to end the discussion).

Swervy

International Captain
delkap said:
IMO Sachin looks better in full-flow than Lara.. Only place where Lara looks better is horizontal bat shots (not cut though), in the rest Sachin is a joy to watch...
thats the key..that is your opinion...it isnt mine :D

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Arrow said:
lara is clearly more brilliant.
Ah, yes. That sam Lara who places oh so much importance on his wicket.

The difference is, Lara occasionally loses concentration, Sachin very very rarely does. Dravid even less.

Lara places hardly any value on his wicket, and while he can look brilliant while he's in, usually plays stupid shots to get out.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
The difference is, Lara occasionally loses concentration, Sachin very very rarely does. Dravid even less.

Lara places hardly any value on his wicket, and while he can look brilliant while he's in, usually plays stupid shots to get out.
"hardly any value" and "usually plays stupid shots" are thoughtless exaggerations. Since he regained the captaincy, I get the impression that Lara has often curbed his natural attacking flair and risk-taking instincts to grind out (as much as Lara's batting can ever be a grind) scores for the good of the team.

Players who place hardly any value on their wicket and usually play stupid shots tend not to make scores like 400 not out, 375 and 501.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
swervy said:
thats the key..that is your opinion...it isnt mine
true, thats why hv always made it a point of saying IMO, u r ofcourse entitled to your own opinion.. I just wish to justify my case, and not force my opinion on anyone :)

garage flower said:
A high average is obviously very important, but there are numerous batsmen with higher averages than Viv Richards, who very few people would rate higher than the Master Blaster.
Yes, that bcos Richards was a brilliant player but didn't pay enough importance to his wkt. He was always looking to dominate, and there was a kind of arrogance in his batting. He wouldn't ground out a hundred on difficult pitch, chances are he will smash a quick 80 and get out.. If he actually applied himself, he would hv ended with a better avg surely..

Now IMO Lara does pay importance to his wkt (unlike to what Tom Halsey thinks), and he still is inconsistence because of chinks in his concentration and defence at some times.. He can look brilliant and ordinary in space of few balls.. That is not the case with Sachin, when he is on song.. noone in the world looks like getting him out..

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Ah, yes. That sam Lara who places oh so much importance on his wicket.

that is an inane comment really....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Maybe I exagerated a touch, but, while he is a great player, he places far too little importance on his wicket - I said Viv was in my top 5 because he scored even quicker than Lara.

Piper

International Captain
Congrats to him on reaching 10,000! What a great player, i hope he carries on and scores more runs as long as its not against England, South Africa and New Zealand!!!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Piper said:
Congrats to him on reaching 10,000! What a great player, i hope he carries on and scores more runs as long as its not against England, South Africa and New Zealand!!!
he hasnt tho :)...yet!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Maybe I exagerated a touch, but, while he is a great player, he places far too little importance on his wicket - I said Viv was in my top 5 because he scored even quicker than Lara.
On light of some imformation in the scoring rates thread, I'm not sure Richards would be in my top 5 anymore - he scores only marginally quicker than Lara. Maybe Hutton/Hobbs/Lloyd/Gilchrist would come into that 5th position now. Gilchrist just because of his ability to take a game away from the opposition in minutes.

Swervy

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
On light of some imformation in the scoring rates thread, I'm not sure Richards would be in my top 5 anymore - he scores only marginally quicker than Lara. Maybe Hutton/Hobbs/Lloyd/Gilchrist would come into that 5th position now. Gilchrist just because of his ability to take a game away from the opposition in minutes.
i think when doing a personal 'top 5' kind off list,you should just go with gut feeling as opposed to looking at figures.

Trust someone who saw plenty of Richards, he was miles better than both Gilchrist or Lloyd

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's been debate as to if Lara would make an all time 5 batsmen, but to suggest he'd be put out of that spot by Gilchrist?!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
There's been debate as to if Lara would make an all time 5 batsmen, but to suggest he'd be put out of that spot by Gilchrist?!
^ i know thats a tad silly whoever said that.. Lara cannot be compared to gilchrist..

Revelation

U19 Debutant
this is ripe.....Gilchrist better than Lara?????next thing, Jayasuria is going to make it ahead of him or perhaps Afridi. Any other names you want to add to (further) contaminate the pot?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
further contaminate the pot?

That's the first name suggested that is ludicrous to put in an all time best 5.

Just because people don't rate Lara in the top 5 of all time, doesn't mean that they're wrong!

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
you really have outdone yourself this time......