• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Congratulations* Brian Lara 10,000 Test Runs!

Swervy

International Captain
viktor said:
and here's one reason why:
It is common in dealing with data sets to come across xtremely large or xtremely small values within the data set. these data points, known as outliers, are generally neglected when calculating properties of the data set as they do not "show" the trend of the data.
with this premise, i conducted a "Richardian" exercise.
I neglected the highest two scores by 5 players i consider to be 5 of the best; Sachin, Dravid, Richards, Sobers and Lara (Bradman is another outlier, so out :D). To save me a little trouble, I assumed both the innings closed (b'men out).Then for this modified data set, I calculated the avera ge and calculated the drop in average from the original data. the results are:
Player Ori avg Mod avg
Lara 53.43 49.27
Dravid 58.09 54.76
Richards 50.23 47.72
Sobers 57.78 54.31
Sachin 57.39 55.29

while Lara's avg drops by ~4 runs, that of Richards, Dravid and Sobers drops by 3-3.5 and Sachins by ~2. to me that indicates Lara is not as consistent as the others, not by a lot mind you but still enough for the level these guys are at.
I know stats don't always tell the true story but I was hoping thus analysis removes any discrepencies in such a basis for analysis.
Please do comment,
cheers
i see your reasoning, but dont agree with your method.Why get rid of the players top 2 scores, why not 1, or 10, or all scores over 200 etc.It just so happens that the 2 highest scores for Lara are 2 of the 3 highest ever in tests,so gets penalised for that

Why not exclude all scores under 10 as well????

Would a standard deviation measurement be a better method???

Also match stuations???Chasing a target in the 4th innings,batting under pressure etc...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
For goodness' sake , he made 13 100's vs them .

Assuming that he must have made as many 50's vs them as he made 100's , thats 26 good innings's vs the top team of the 70's and 80's .

And assuming that he played a good innings only every alternate innings , thats still 26 good tests he had vs them .

He played 27 matches, so close.

But 7 fifties and 13 tons.

And looking at his first series, he made 65, 67*, 116, 64*, 1, 117*, 124, 220.

The attack he faced then included none of the Windies greats.

Haven't got time to look at the other 4 fifties or 9 tons in 23 matches (which suddenly doesn't look quite as good, even if still impressive)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Revelation said:
what utter rubbish!

There is a debate as to if Lara should be reagarded in the top 5 batsmen of all time. If you are going to support it then you provide reasons and evidence to back yourself and vice versa. I have done that. The others have simply stated that he shouldn't be there.....on what basis??? Anti-WI sentiments??Anti-Lara Sentiments???
I am still at a loss as to how you think people here are "bias" against Brian Lara and the West Indies in general.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Arrow said:
The longer your at the top of the castle the harder it is to stay there and guys like hayden and dravid have only just begun in this regard.
Correct
Now using that anology, who has been at top the most part of his career ? I am pretty sure its Sachin, correct me if I am wrong..
Now that makes Sachin better than Lara, which I hv been saying always..

Swervy

International Captain
Deja moo said:
I find it hard to believe that Gavaskar played a second string attack everytime he made a century vs the WI.

For goodness' sake , he made 13 100's vs them .

Assuming that he must have made as many 50's vs them as he made 100's , thats 26 good innings's vs the top team of the 70's and 80's .

And assuming that he played a good innings only every alternate innings , thats still 26 good tests he had vs them .

I find it hard to believe that he faced weak attacks for those 26 tests ,while the rest of the world faced the top WI bowlers.

( I know thats a lot of assumptions , but they are all within reason. )
here you go...after a bit of looking I found something that I post a few months back (apparently a similar thing had been on cricinfo last year as well):

'Lets just look at Gavskar vs WI a bit more in depth:

in 1970/71 Gavaskar scored 65,67*,116,64*,1,117*,124,220

I remarkable run granted...but look at the bowling..this wasnot a good WI bowling line up: Sobers (well past his bowling prime),Dowe (WI's supporters once put up a banner with the eleventh commandment Dowe shall not bowl...nuff said),John Shepard (a good first class player,not test standard),Noriega,Boyce(ok, but not exactly Holding),Shillingford (erm...) and Gibbs (a legend)......so a very weak bowling line up truth be told.

Next series in India in 74/75 only played two tests
Scores of 14,0,86,8

Not so successful..his 86 came on an obvious batters delight of a pitch (WI scored 604/6 dec (oddly enough Richards out for 1) and 205/3 dec)...but the bowling attack of the WI's was still not all that good,although the emergance of Andy Roberts was starting.

Next,75/76 in WI (4 tests)
37,1,156,26,102,66,2...a pretty good series..first test Holding and Roberts,Julien,Holford bowling, so a developing opening pair..overall an average attack (WI had just been beaten 5-1 vs Australia)..later on Daniel replaced Roberts, the final test was the famous India chucking in the towel test (probably justified)...so again not the strongest WI bowling attack, but starting to come on...but note that Gavaskars scores arent as good as that first series, getting a bit trickier now the bowling is improved....hey Sunny

Next in India 78/79

Scores:205,73,0,107,182*,4,1,120,40...looks good..then you see this was the Packer weakened WI team with one very decent bowler,Clarke, who struggled to get into the WI normally..this bowling attack was very poor...not worth talking about.

Next 83 in WI

Scores:20,0,1,32,147*,2,19,18,1...nothing of note apart from 147* in the third test..no chance of a result on a batsmans paradise which had two days called off , but fair enough he scored the runs in that game...not anywhere else though..a shocker. Look at the bowling...for the first time, he faces a top class WI attack..holding, Roberts,garner,Marshall,and then occassionally Winston davis and Eldine baptiste, and he does poorly.

Next in India in 83/84

Scores:0,7,121,15,90,1,12,3,0,20,236*...saves his best till last innings,236 coming in at number 4 although the score was 2 down for 0 when he came in..he had struggled on the whole opening in this series vs Marshall etc.

So when you say he destroyed the WI attack, yeah he did, the crap ones, he was a lot less effective vs what we all consider THE WI's attack...see averages dont tell the full story

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
viktor said:
and here's one reason why:
It is common in dealing with data sets to come across xtremely large or xtremely small values within the data set. these data points, known as outliers, are generally neglected when calculating properties of the data set as they do not "show" the trend of the data.
with this premise, i conducted a "Richardian" exercise.
I neglected the highest two scores by 5 players i consider to be 5 of the best; Sachin, Dravid, Richards, Sobers and Lara (Bradman is another outlier, so out :D). To save me a little trouble, I assumed both the innings closed (b'men out).Then for this modified data set, I calculated the avera ge and calculated the drop in average from the original data. the results are:
Player Ori avg Mod avg
Lara 53.43 49.27
Dravid 58.09 54.76
Richards 50.23 47.72
Sobers 57.78 54.31
Sachin 57.39 55.29

while Lara's avg drops by ~4 runs, that of Richards, Dravid and Sobers drops by 3-3.5 and Sachins by ~2. to me that indicates Lara is not as consistent as the others, not by a lot mind you but still enough for the level these guys are at.
I know stats don't always tell the true story but I was hoping thus analysis removes any discrepencies in such a basis for analysis.
Please do comment,
cheers
Was going to leave this thread because I've already made the point that player comparisons can't be made on a purely statistical analysis, but the quoted analysis is so contrived I had to comment.

What on earth is your reasoning for only excluding 2 scores (obviously, it couldn't be that Lara, famously, has 2 huge world record scores)!?

Also, why do you feel that greater consistency is more laudable than the ability to make huge scores?

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
What ??

Dravid averages 39.9 in ODI cricket while Lara averages 42 or something .Whats the big difference ?
Open you frikkin eyes man and stop looking at text books.Lara has had countless matching winning innings,countless mind blowing knocks,and a lot more centuries.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
delkap said:
Correct
Now using that anology, who has been at top the most part of his career ? I am pretty sure its Sachin, correct me if I am wrong..
You could make a strong argument for that.Sachin is clearly more consistent but lara is clearly more brilliant.
Its still too early to judge them though because their careers have not ended and lara seems to be aging more gracefully.
Sachin hasnt been the best for a few years now though...

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
delkap said:
Correct
No, it would mean that Sachin has been "at the top" for longer, which is only 1 factor to take into account when assessing "greatness".

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Arrow said:
You could make a strong argument for that.Sachin is clearly more consistent but lara is clearly more brilliant.
Its still too early to judge them though because their careers have not ended and lara seems to be aging more gracefully.
I dont think u hv seen the last of Sachin... He will go down better than Lara, atleast IMO, it might not be your..

delkap

State Vice-Captain
garage flower said:
No, it would mean that Sachin has been "at the top" for longer, which is only 1 factor to take into account when assessing "greatness".
If being at top the longest not a sign of greatness, hving most centuries in both forms not greatness, hving probably the best technique not greatness, averaging 57+ in tests (dunno what it is on all time list, but in top 10 atleast, above Lara mind you..), 45 in odi (49 while opening, his latter part of career).. if all this is not a sign of greatness, please tell me what is ??

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Arrow said:
Open you frikkin eyes man and stop looking at text books.Lara has had countless matching winning innings,countless mind blowing knocks,and a lot more centuries.
Agreed Lara has more centuries, but is that to say Dravid hasn't won matches??
Look at past 2 years, and Dravid has done a lot more than Lara has.. he has started averaging above 45 in past year or so which is better than Lara.. Maybe Lara has a better ODI record (he is probably a better player too), but atm Dravid is in better form, and as useful in batting, more so bcos of his keeping..

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
delkap said:
If being at top the longest not a sign of greatness, hving most centuries in both forms not greatness, hving probably the best technique not greatness, averaging 57+ in tests (dunno what it is on all time list, but in top 10 atleast, above Lara mind you..), 45 in odi (49 while opening, his latter part of career).. if all this is not a sign of greatness, please tell me what is ??
Check some of the stats and landmarks posted earlier in the thread by Revelation, which make an equally compelling case for Lara's superiority.

Check some of the comments made by Swervy, which relate to actually watching the players bat.

Check your own post, quoted above, which admits that the stats you are quoting are a "sign of greatness", which I haven't disputed.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Check some of the comments made by Swervy, which relate to actually watching the players bat.
If I remember correctly, he or maybe someone else said, Sacin on song is perfect, he doesn't look like getting out, while Lara when on song, still looks as if he can get out any time..
Now that was somehow twisted to say Lara is a Genius to do well while playing in a flawed manner..
I would say, Genius is a person who doesn't show any flaws when at the top of his game, hence Sachin..

Check some of the stats and landmarks posted earlier in the thread by Revelation, which make an equally compelling case for Lara's superiority.
As for landmarks, stats etc.. True Lara has got bigger inns, but they were on flat tracks, and only prove that Lara has more staying power (stamina etc) Doesn't make him a better player..

What is more imp than HS,is avg IMO and Sachin's is higher.. Also no. of 100s is higher.. Consistency has been better apart from last year..

And in ODI's Sachin leaves everyone far behind.. by far the best ODI player of all time..

I fail to see how Lara can be said to be equal to Sachin let alone better..

BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with Lara being WI or whatever.. I think Lara is 2nd best in this era, just that Sachin is better...

Check your own post, quoted above, which admits that the stats you are quoting are a "sign of greatness", which I haven't disputed.
You didn't dispute it, I agree.. but u said its not enough.. I merely stated his accomplishments.. If that still isn't enough you hv a selective sight..

tooextracool

International Coach
Arrow said:
No,you reasoning is just stupid and slanted.
No player is devoid of form slumps and his FEW disappointing seasons are surely offset by his many phenomenal ones dont you think?
Lara soared to the heights of greatness a decade ago and hes still hitting those heights today.The longer your at the top of the castle the harder it is to stay there and guys like hayden and dravid have only just begun in this regard.
your post indicated that lara was 'great' for over a decade.....as far as i can remember there was a time between 96-00 where that tag was taken away from him and its only as of late that hes managed to get it back.....
and his most phenomenal year happens to be when he averaged 74 as opposed to dravid whos had years wheres hes averaged 78 and 100. the fact that dravid has never had anywhere near a slump as lara did goes to show you how you can underrate and overrate players.

Arrow said:
You also seem to be ignoring one day cricket which is the other "part" of the game,and which is an important barometer when judging a player.
Lara has proved to be a master in both forms of the game something which dravid hasnt been.Hes a very good one day player but not great.

As an overall player lara is clearly better.
ODI cricket bares no relevance to my argument. if lara were to be in an all time 5 we would have to look specifically at test records because there have been several other legends who were unfortunate enough to not play ODI cricket.

Swervy

International Captain
delkap said:
If I remember correctly, he or maybe someone else said, Sacin on song is perfect, he doesn't look like getting out, while Lara when on song, still looks as if he can get out any time..

dont think it was me

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
dont think it was me
yep, I'm sorry I misquoted you
Masterblaster posted it in favour of Sachin, then Deja Moo turned it around to Lara's favour.. Its on prev page..

tooextracool

International Coach
Arrow said:
conveniently forgetting those 5 years in which lara was far from his best.
i rate lara ahead of tendulkar though but its for reasons other than those.....

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
conveniently forgetting those 5 years in which lara was far from his best.
i rate lara ahead of tendulkar though but its for reasons other than those.....
yeah, I dont rate Lara on the stats, I rate him on how I see him batting

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
yeah, I dont rate Lara on the stats, I rate him on how I see him batting
Which is the point I've been getting at. Stats alone can never give the full picture. There's always another statistic that can be churned out to support one player or another and statistics, when examined more closely (Gavaskar v the Windies is a good example), are often less impressive than they appear to be.