• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Ferd, I agree with SJS has not ever been done!!
But I wonder this instance where it came close to being done was what you had in mind.
Arthur Morris being last out for Australia, and Len Hutton carrying his bat through for England.
I also thought it must be either this or others where the team wasnt al out, hence the post script :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Ferd said:
No sorry I forgot to add they batted at number 3 in the innings and did not open.
Ferd it appears your question is erroneous, since it's difficult to figure out the intended question. :)

Please clarify your question and the intended answer, when you next visit this thread.

Hence for the sake of keeping this thread moving I am going ahead with the next question . ( which incidentally is closer to home for you!! 8-) )

Question -

Which family has had most siblings play first class cricket in Australia ? Name them all. :D

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Not too sure on this but was it David Gregory's family, his four brothers and three nephews

Gregory, AH
Gregory, CS
Gregory, CW
Gregory, DW
Gregory, EJ
Gregory, JM
Gregory, RG
Gregory, SE

David Gregory was captain of the very first Australian team that came to England in 1878.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
Not too sure on this but was it David Gregory's family, his four brothers and three nephews

Gregory, AH
Gregory, CS
Gregory, CW
Gregory, DW
Gregory, EJ
Gregory, JM
Gregory, RG
Gregory, SE

David Gregory was captain of the very first Australian team that came to England in 1878.
Bryce, nice one Mate!

Unfortunately the answer I am looking for is one family of all siblings.(ie brothers) .

I did give a slight clue when I said in my original post to Ferd, that it was closer to home for him!

Another Clue - One of the siblings was a legendary Australian Captain, and one other was a 12th Man. none of the others played Test cricket.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Its actually 6 brothers. :)

If no one gets it by then, I will post a very big clue in 5 - 6 hours time. :p

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
i'm stumped mate, the only two south australian captains i know of who come remotely close to legendary status are J.Darling and G.Chappell.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry for the delay guys. (busy at work :laugh: )(I am actually doing this at work, during night shift, between sleeps :laugh: )

The legendary Australian Captain is said to have famously punched a selector Mc Allister after these famous words "You've been asking for a punch all night," "and I'll give you one."

He had to be restrained from throwing the selector out of the third storey window.

bryce said:
i'm stumped mate, the only two south australian captains i know of who come remotely close to legendary status are J.Darling and G.Chappell.
This Captain was after Darling but long before Chappell :p

marc71178 said:
Big as in big help, or big as in font size?
Both, May be. :D

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
The one who punched MacAlister was Clem Hill, during the row about picking the manager for the 1912 tour of England. The players wanted Frank Laver, the selectors went for someone else.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
The one who punched MacAlister was Clem Hill, during the row about picking the manager for the 1912 tour of England. The players wanted Frank Laver, the selectors went for someone else.
Correct. I will give it to you.

Clem Hill (born 1877) played 48 tests for Australia.(including Captaining 10 tests)

Les Hill (born 1884) was I believe 12th Man for one Test.

Other brothers , Percival (born 1868), Arthur (born 1871), Henry (born 1878), Stanley (born 1885) - All played first class cricket for South Australia.

Over to you for next question. :whistling

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I like this question :)

There are three instances of this happening in first class cricket. The first two were in the 1930s and the third in the 1950s. The first two instances are hardly known, while the the 1950s match is quite (in)famous.

The first was in 1934, Essex v Worcestershire, Chemlsford 1934.
http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/14/f14308.html

The second was also in the Essex v Worcestershire match in 1939, also at Chelmsford.
http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/f/16/f16250.html

Post the link to the scorecard to the 1950s match.

Hint : It did not happen in England.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This kind of questions are a 'bit' vague, dont you think ? This could be anything. Its really hitting in the dark.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Okay. I think the answer is interesting, but I can't think up a hint that will make the question interesting. Please ive me a few minutes.