• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
The file names are satha1 and sathas3. So the cricketer should be Mahadevan 'Satha' Sathasivam of Ceylon :)
Well done Tapioca. I am sure you are right. I did look for a cricketer with a name starting from Satha but I restricted myself to those who played tests :@

The topee of the Don only confirms that it was Sri Lnka. It was very common there.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
The file names are satha1 and sathas3. So the cricketer should be Mahadevan 'Satha' Sathasivam of Ceylon :)
Correct. It was Mahadeva Sathasivam, Sri Lankan cricket captain tossing with Sir Don Bradman, during the First Class game played in Colombo 1948 and the same M. Sathasivam, then exchanging or ? receiving a bat from Sir Gary Sobers (circa 1948-50s).

Great investigative work by Tapioca. :detective over to you for next question. :sport:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Three cheers to everyone who has posted on this thread over its duration. It has just passed another landmark !! Its just gone over the 20,000 views mark!! :notworthy :clapping: :cheers: :clap: :rockon:

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Correct. It was Mahadeva Sathasivam, Sri Lankan cricket captain tossing with Sir Don Bradman, during the First Class game played in Colombo 1948 and the same M. Sathasivam, then exchanging or ? receiving a bat from Sir Gary Sobers (circa 1948-50s).

Great investigative work by Tapioca. :detective over to you for next question. :sport:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Three cheers to everyone who has posted on this thread over its duration. It has just passed another landmark !! Its just gone over the 20,000 views mark!! :notworthy :clapping: :cheers: :clap: :rockon:
BTW, He probably played the greatest ever innings at the Chepaulk at Chennai (then Madras)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Sathasivam uniquely captained three countries in cricket - two South East Asian countries (Singapore and Malaysia, I think) apart from Ceylon.

Satha was once accused of murdering his wife and was lucky to escape the rope.

So, which Test cricketer between the wars was hanged for murdering his wife (- played between the wars, hanged in 1954 or so) ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Sathasivam uniquely captained three countries in cricket - two South East Asian countries (Singapore and Malaysia, I think) apart from Ceylon.

Satha was once accused of murdering his wife and was lucky to escape the rope.

So, which Test cricketer between the wars was hanged for murdering his wife (- played between the wars, hanged in 1954 or so) ?
It was a west Indian

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Righto, better make it good this time.

Who is the only Test player who has opened an innings never to have been dismissed?

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Timothy Andrew Lloyd

on debut he was on ten, when he got smacked in the head by a Malcolm Marshall bouncer. Down he went, carried from the field never to come back or play test cricket again.

bryce

International Regular
He'd never kept wicket before (Wisden reported that "only when he had accepted the terms offered and joined the ship at Adelaide was the discovery made that he had never kept wicket in his life").

Turning the tables - Steven asks you hahaha

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
He'd never kept wicket before (Wisden reported that "only when he had accepted the terms offered and joined the ship at Adelaide was the discovery made that he had never kept wicket in his life").
I wonder if his keeping on tour was worse than Parthiv Patel's in this current one :huh: :huh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:

Turning the tables - Steven asks you hahaha
Hi Bryce,

I am goinng ahead and asking the next one on your behalf (Pardon') :p

Which is the one test cricket record that will never ever be bettered ??

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Hi Bryce,

I am goinng ahead and asking the next one on your behalf (Pardon') :p

Which is the one test cricket record that will never ever be bettered ??
I'm not sure whether the following was the answer you had in mind.
But here are some records that could not be bettered-

Narrowest Test victory by runs (1,West Indies (252 & 146) beat Australia (213 & 184) at Adelaide in 1992/93).

Closest draw by runs remaining ( 1,Zimbabwe (376 & 234) v England (406 & 204-6) at Bulawayo in 1996/97)

Longest Test Match by days played (10, South Africa v England at Durban in 1938/39)

There are several others but I am not sure this is what you had in mind . :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
I'm not sure whether the following was the answer you had in mind.
But here are some records that could not be bettered-

Narrowest Test victory by runs (1,West Indies (252 & 146) beat Australia (213 & 184) at Adelaide in 1992/93).

Closest draw by runs remaining ( 1,Zimbabwe (376 & 234) v England (406 & 204-6) at Bulawayo in 1996/97)

Longest Test Match by days played (10, South Africa v England at Durban in 1938/39)

There are several others but I am not sure this is what you had in mind . :)
You are right that both these qualify as answers :thumbs_up so I will add a rider.

I doubt if it can ever be equalled too !!