• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
James Southerton , who was 49 years old at the time of the first ever Test(oldest debutant in the first ever test) 15,16,17,19 March 1877 at the MCG.
Right.

Born in 1827, He would have been 177 years old today and we have been playing test cricket only for 127 !!

Your turn Jason :thumbup1:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Right.

Born in 1827, He would have been 177 years old today and we have been playing test cricket only for 127 !!

Your turn Jason :thumbup1:
Who is the youngest bowler to take a 5 wicket haul in Test cricket ? What age? when?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Who is the youngest bowler to take a 5 wicket haul in Test cricket ? What age? when?
Naseem ul Ghani. Pakistani off spinner.

He was 16 something and it was against West Indies in West Indies.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Naseem ul Ghani. Pakistani off spinner.

He was 16 something and it was against West Indies in West Indies.
Correct. :thumbsup: He took 5/116 against West Indies in the 4th Test (of 5 Test series) at Bourda, Georgetown, British Guiana on 17 th March 1958, when he was only 16 years and 307 days old.

A test match which Pakistan lost.

But he then went onto take 6/67 in the second innings of 5th Test at Port of Spain, Trinidad, which Pakistan won, but still lost the series 3-1.

This was the series, in the 3rd Test of which, in Jamaica, Sir Gary Sobers scored the record breaking knock of 365 n.o in a WI score of 790/3.

Over to you for next question. :sport:

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Who is the youngest wicket keeper ever to play in a test match ?
The youngest Wicket keeper to keep in his very first Test onwards was Parthiv Patel at 17 years 153 days on 8th August 2002, but the youngest keeper ever to play a test match is Derek Sealy of West Indies who despite being a keeper, and making his Test debut at 17 years and 122 days(being younger than Parthiv by 31 days at his debut), did not keep in his very first Test(11 January 1930) as Errol Hunte was the keeper in that Test.

Sealy eventually did keep wickets for 2 tests only 10 years after his test debut in 1939.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
The record that Patel broke was that of Hanif Mohammed.
Actually I had forgotten about Parthiv and had Hanif in mind when I asked the question. :p

Anyway. Parthiv is the 'correct' correct answer and Hanif the 'expected' answer, so either of you may go ahead and ask the next one :)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Actually I had forgotten about Parthiv and had Hanif in mind when I asked the question
When you see some questions, you can guess that the QM is looking for an 'obvious' answer that is not strictly the correct one. It was the same with Marc's question about Bill Johnston's average :)

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Possibly a bit obscure :

In about 1997, the ad company Lintas came up with a series of campaigns for Reebok about Indian cricket. Two of them, called 'the asassin' and 'the viper', have faded away with time. Which was the third campaign whose tagline is still very famous ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Possibly a bit obscure :

In the late 1990s, the ad company Lintas came up with a series of campaigns about Indian cricket. Two of the campaigns, called 'the asassin' and 'the viper', have faded away with time. Which was the third campaign whose tagline is still very famous ?
Totally foxed :wacko:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Ok, I'll rephrase the question.

In 1997 or so, Lintas came up with three ad campaigns for Reebok which was centred around Indian cricketers. The first one was about 'Azhar the Assassin', and the second 'Kumble the Viper'. Which was the third and most famous one ?

Very guessable.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I have to leave the office now, so I'll finish it off.

It was the third ad that started off the legend of 'Dravid the Wall'

(Dravid the dasher ? :) )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
Can some ask the next question ?

Picture Quiz . :p

Who is this cricketer making the toss with Sir Don Bradman , and then exchanging (or receiving) a bat of Sir Garfield Sobers (in his heyday) ? ( I hope the pictures in the thumbnails are reasonable quality )

I love Sir Don's Bowler Hat. :laugh:

A Clue may appear in 2 - 3 hours time (time permitting) if no one gets it by then. :D

Attachments

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Picture Quiz . :p

Who is this cricketer making the toss with Sir Don Bradman , and then exchanging (or receiving) a bat of Sir Garfield Sobers (in his heyday) ? ( I hope the pictures in the thumbnails are reasonable quality )

I love Sir Don's Bowler Hat. :laugh:

A Clue may appear in 2 - 3 hours time (time permitting) if no one gets it by then. :D
Jackie Grant - West Indies captain in the thirties ??