• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
An addition to an earlier question

Q. I am a famous Pakistani test player. I bowled in a first clas match with both left and right arm in the same over
AND got a wicket with my 'wrong' arm !!

A. I'll grant you that. Hanif is right. Against Somerset at Taunton in 1954, playing for Pakistan , Hanif, normally right handed turned to left hand in the middle of an over and also got a wicket with a left handed delivery.
There is another famous occasion when Hanif bowled left handed. At Kingston 1957/8 when Sobers reached 364*, Hanif who was bowling, asked the umpire whether he could switch to the left hand. 'You can bowl with both hands, if you like' came the reply. Hanif bowled with his left and Sobers pushed the ball to cover for his 365th run.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
An addition to an earlier question

There is another famous occasion when Hanif bowled left handed. At Kingston 1957/8 when Sobers reached 364*, Hanif who was bowling, asked the umpire whether he could switch to the left hand. 'You could bowl with both hands, if you like' came the reply. Hanif bowled with his left and Sobers pushed the ball to cover for his 365th run.
Good one

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Neil, please excuse me for asking one out of turn.

What connects Mala Mukherjee and Ron Lovitt ?
Wasnt Ron Lovitt the photographer of the famous last run out of the tied test ??

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
He was. Now just finish it off.
I didnt know the rest but just got it from Google.

Mala Mukherjee is an Indian photographer . The first to have her photographs on the internet ??

Is that the only connection ?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Mala Mukherjee is an Indian photographer . The first to have her photographs on the internet ??

Is that the only connection ?
Oh, no. Just go for the very obvious guess.

If you don't get it now, I am sure that somebody else will crack it in a few minutes :)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would it be a photographer at the other Tied Test? The one in Chennai (?) in 86 (?) when Maninder Singh (?) got out for 0 (?) at the end?

Please forgive factual inaccuracies :D

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
It was at Chennai, in 1986. Maninder was the last man out and he made a duck :)

Sorry SJS, you did the hard work but I have to give it to Neil.

Mukherjee took the most famous (apparently only) picture of the final moment of the tied test. Seems that everyone else had left/were not around (I wonder why) when the last wicket fell.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
It was at Chennai, in 1986. Maninder was the last man out and he made a duck :)

Sorry SJS, you did the hard work but I have to give it to Neil.

Mukherjee took the most famous (apparently only) picture of the final moment of the tied test. Seems that everyone else had left/were not around (I wonder why) when the last wicket fell.
:oops:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Errr. That was done here last week - Hemulal Yadav, AJ Harris, Vasbert Drakes.

NOT this one.

Hope you remember the photo. Taken from the behind the sight screen, Shastri signaling Maninder not to attempt a run, Maninder trying to get back to his crease, Matthews jumping up in the air and already on the way back, and the umpire Vikram Raju pointing at the sky.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Errr. That was done here last week - Hemulal Yadav, AJ Harris, Vasbert Drakes.

NOT this one.

Hope you remember the photo. Taken from the behind the sight screen, Shastri signaling Maninder not to attempt a run, Maninder trying to get back to his crease, Matthews jumping up in the air and already on the way back, and the umpire Vikram Raju pointing at the sky.
Maninder is telling the umpire he had played the ball. He maintains it to this day :D

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Heard this in a quiz :

In India in the 1990s, which company used the advertising line 'We are back in India after 15 years' ?

[Remember that is this is a cricket quiz. You can work it out. Don't think the Indians will have any unfair advantage]