• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. I didn't know Clarrie Grimmet was really a Kiwi! Or Brendon Julian, for that matter, but he's hardly up there with Grimmet in the pantheon.

I cheated and had a "Google" & reckon the answer is Ken Hough. 8-)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Wow. I didn't know Clarrie Grimmet was really a Kiwi! Or Brendon Julian, for that matter, but he's hardly up there with Grimmet in the pantheon.

I cheated and had a "Google" & reckon the answer is Ken Hough. 8-)
Correct. :jawdrop: :yes: :man: :balloon: :photo:
over to you.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm away this weekend, so won't be able to confirm the correctness or otherwise of anyone's answer to my non-asked question.

So if anyone else fancies asking one.... :)

biased indian

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I'm away this weekend, so won't be able to confirm the correctness or otherwise of anyone's answer to my non-asked question.

So if anyone else fancies asking one.... :)
how many players have played test match cricket till date and who is the last one to do so??

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
how many players have played test match cricket till date and who is the last one to do so??
Test Players to date-Australia (388),England (625),India (248),Pakistan(180),
New Zealand (227), South Africa (292), West Indies(257),
Sri Lanka (99), Zimbabwe (66), Bangladesh (37)
= 388+625+248+180+227+292+257+99+66+37=2419

Ian Bell (as mentioned by Jamee999) is correct - last Test Debutant.
I forego my right to next question to Jamee999.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
JAson u may ask the next question
This question may be an easy one for Kiwi fans. (Voltman where are thou? :p )

Question -

All Black and double International in Cricket and Rugby, Played 2 cricket world Cups. Involved in 2 controversial incidents in either sport.

In Rugby , converted a controversial penalty to win a close match against Wales (much to the anger of the aggrieved Welsh).

An even more controversial incident in Cricket, where he was merely a participant and recipient of a controversial exchange!! :D :D

Scored 46 points in 10 All Black Tests as a first five and full back with good kicking skills.(All points as kicker and none as a try scorer).

Name the player , and the cricket episode.(Before anyone can pounce on me for asking two questions, they are both inter-related :p )

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
JASON said:
Name the player , and the cricket episode.(Before anyone can pounce on me for asking two questions, they are both inter-related :p )
i dont see the second question :D
i knew whom u r reffering to :cool:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What is the lowest number of runs scored by a batsman averaging more than 100 in an English domestic season?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
What is the lowest number of runs scored by a batsman averaging more than 100 in an English domestic season?
Is this a trick question or what ? :laugh:

101 Greg Lamb - 2004 (Current season) Hampshire Played 1 game scored 94 and 7 n.o. average 101
---------------------------------------------------------------------
averaging 100 - 1998 Stewart Hutton (Durham) Played 1 game 100 and DNB average 100
- 1990 Ian Philip (Scotland) Played 1 game 100 and DNB

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
This is the incorrect answer since Jason has found better ones, but I suspect Marc is looking for Bill Johnston - 102 runs in the 1953 Australian tour of England, 17 innings, 16 notouts.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
>> averaging 100 - 1998 Stewart Hutton (Durham) Played 1 game 100 and DNB average 100 - 1990 Ian Philip (Scotland) Played 1 game 100 and DNB

Jason, is that the complete list, or could there be such cases from other seasons ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I was looking for Johnston yes, but trust Jason to find someone better :(
I take it that mine was not the answer you were looking for. :D
There is always someone who comes to spoil the party :p !! :blow: :sport:
Since there is an Australia V England ODI going on right now as we are on the WW Web, Question relates to the Aus V England ODIs.

Question -

Which Australian Captain has the worst record in ODI's between the two countries ?
To clarify the confusion WRT the question I simplify it. Which Australian Captain has lost heaps more than winning in head to head ODIs between the two countries?

Name the other two (Australian) Captains who have lost more than they have won ?
Who are the three (Australian) Captains who have not lost a single ODI to England (may change depending on result of tonights game ;) )?

Only the answer to the question in bold wins . Others are for fun only!!

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Tapioca said:
>> averaging 100 - 1998 Stewart Hutton (Durham) Played 1 game 100 and DNB average 100 - 1990 Ian Philip (Scotland) Played 1 game 100 and DNB

Jason, is that the complete list, or could there be such cases from other seasons ?
There must be more!! At least I know there is one other in 1988 - Bruce Patterson (Scotland) scored 100 in only game - average 100.
Roger Edbrooke 1982 (oxford University) 84 and 16 n.o in only game V Glamorgan
Richard Lewis (Dorset) 1981 played solitary F.C game minor counties V SL scored 47 and 53 n.o.
There must be heaps more Mate!

In fact Dean Jones - Season 1987 - average 101 - played one game scored 80 and 21 (For Rest of the World V Gloucestershire :D )

Last edited: