• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jamee999 said:
Yup, most FC Matches with out a Test.
Not quite, or at least not the one I had in mind. Jones played for England in the first of the unofficial "tests" v The Rest of The World XI in 1970, who replaced the banned South Africans.

He alone of all the England players who appeared in that series never gained a full test cap.

Anyway, your go. :)

archie mac

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Not quite, or at least not the one I had in mind. Jones played for England in the first of the unofficial "tests" v The Rest of The World XI in 1970, who replaced the banned South Africans.

He alone of all the England players who appeared in that series never gained a full test cap.

Anyway, your go. :)
I hear they are going to give the Super Test Aust V the World to be played later this year full Test Status, will they have the guts to retrospectively award Test caps to players like Jones?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Who was the cricketer who was part of an MCC team in India who was banished from a region of India for allegedly making a pass at the Viceroy's daughter and the Viceroy and his Lady then pressurising the English Captain to keep the individual out of an MCC Team to play the Viceroy's Eleven subsequently :laugh: :laugh: ? Name the English Captain .
:D

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
Question

Who was the cricketer who was part of an MCC team in India who was banished from a region of India for allegedly making a pass at the Viceroy's daughter and the Viceroy and his Lady then pressurising the English Captain to keep the individual out of an MCC Team to play the Viceroy's Eleven subsequently :laugh: :laugh: ? Name the English Captain .
:D

A quick guess Jardine?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
A quick guess Jardine?
That's the easy part , but who was the cricketer ?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

By the way with this Post I reach a personal Milestone on this Thread !! This is my 1000th post on this Thread !! :D :D

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
That's the easy part , but who was the cricketer ?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

By the way with this Post I reach a personal Milestone on this Thread !! This is my 1000th post on this Thread !! :D :D
hopper Levett?

Well done on reaching a K Jason, without you this thread would have folded long ago
:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
hopper Levett?
No !

archie mac said:
Well done on reaching a K Jason, without you this thread would have folded long ago
:)
Thanks Archie Mac, But I wouldn't go that far, I am sure others would've carried it . But I have derived great pleasure from this thread Interacting with you, Burkey , Tapioca, SJS, biased Indian, Somerset, Marc, Jamee999, Craig, and several others via this thread !!
I consider you guys all my Web friends and makes me happy to know you all this way !! :happy:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
:notworthy: Well done Jason. It's been a great 6 months or so posting on the trivia threads. People like you and SJS have really been the cornerstone of them. Don't forget Pratyush ... he started this all :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
The Maharaja of Patiala ?
Well done Burkey !! Your turn.

The Maharajah of Patiala had apparently flirted with the daughter of Lord Willingdon the Viceroy and the Viceroy and Lady Willingdon had urged Douglas Jardine to drop the Maharajah from the MCC team to play the Viceroys XI.

The strange aspect of this is that the Maharajah despite being Indian was part of the MCC Team !! And his abilities as a cricketer were pretty poor to say the least !! :D

So based on his cricketing ability he would hardly have got picked for a Club XI let alone the MCC !! :D

Its unclear what ultimately lead to his not being included in the MCC Team - cricketing ability or rather the lack of it, or his flirtation with the daughter of the Viceroy !! :D

The other strange aspect to this is that when this happened in 1933 the Maharajah would've been 42 years old , :laugh: and in the preceding game to this between the Maharajah of Patiala's XI v MCC , he played along with his son Yuvraj of Patiala who was 20 at the time !! :laugh:
Wonder what this says about the Maharajah of Patiala !!! :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
:notworthy: Well done Jason. It's been a great 6 months or so posting on the trivia threads. People like you and SJS have really been the cornerstone of them. Don't forget Pratyush ... he started this all :p
Thanks Burkey !! :D

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Graham Gooch holds this batting record in Test matches. It requires great concentration and skill. What is it ?