• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
For SJS - here's the extract from Wisden obituary on Monty Noble -

"Noble again was the best all-rounder in the second team captained by Joe Darling. During this 1902 tour he made his highest score in England — 284 at Hove against Sussex, he and Warwick Armstrong putting on 428, then a world record, for the sixth wicket. He stood out among his colleagues with 1,416 runs, average 32.93, next to Victor Trumper, and 98 wickets at less than 20 runs apiece, Hugh Trumble and J. V. Saunders being more effective with the ball. That was the tour in which Australia became sure of the rubber by a three runs victory at Old Trafford, while England in an equally dramatic finish won by one wicket at The Oval.

Three years later Darling lost the toss to F. S. Jackson, now Sir Stanley, in all five Tests, and England carried off the honours with two victories in the only decisive games."
Thanks Jason.

Did he get it for his cricket ? The knighthood that is ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Thanks Jason.

Did he get it for his cricket ? The knighthood that is ?
Unsure ! But can't see why not , cos Warner got his and Jackson achieved most things just as Warner !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
gee, that question lasted a while! well done :)

but who were the victims?
1st Hat trick
R Beaumont (b)
S J Pegler (lbw)
T A Ward (lbw)

2nd Hat trick
H W Taylor (b)
R O Schwarz (c & b)
T A Ward (c & b)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Unsure ! But can't see why not , cos Warner got his and Jackson achieved most things just as Warner !!
But Warner got it in 1937.

I suspect, though I am not sure, Jackson inherited his knighthood. His father too was addressed as Rt. Hon. Jackson.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
424 for Lancashire against Somerset at Taunton in 1895?
1. First quadruple century in all first class cricket.
2. The highest first class score for an Englishman (not a player playing in England) ever. It has already stood for 110 years !!

Well done. your turn .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
A ODI first that belongs to Peter Kirsten of SA. What is it?
Does it have to do with his batting ?

If yes, does it have to do with the fact that he never got a hundred ?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Does it have to do with his batting ?

If yes, does it have to do with the fact that he never got a hundred ?
Sort of ... but nothing to do with the fact that he never got a hundred

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, the ODI first I am looking for is related to the Mankad in some way (it just so happens the Mankad could also be an ODI first, I am not sure)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
first player to reach 1000 in ODI with out a hundred
No

The Baconator said:
Is it some sort of most run outs record?
No

BI, you are way off track. The ODI first is related to the Mankad. I will give more clues later if you need them.

Last edited: