• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
I dont think they played international cricket after being knighted but may have played first class cricket.

My guess would be Hutton and Worrell
Nope !!

Sir Leonard Hutton - Last Test 1954-5 knighted 1956

Sir Frank Worrell - Last Test 1963 - Knighted 1964

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Unless it is Francis Lacey and Fredrick Toone who I dont know about and am too lazy to research :p

PS. These two were just cricket administrators.
Neither of these two.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Richard Hadlee was knighted before he retired.
Correct. Sir Richard Hadlee - Last Test 1990 - knighted 1990 - just prior to his final two tests V England .

Who is the other ? :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually I have just realised I made a mistake in my question!!

There are actually 3 people who were knighted during their playing days. (And hence were "Sir" even while playing.
The third I had not counted was India's own Vizzy or Maharajah of Vizhianagram who was knighted in 1936 while in England as captain of Indian Team !!

So then, who is the other ? :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The answer lies in a question that I had asked in the New Cricket Trivia thread, while SJS was away . (Boy Am I glad the regulars who usually are here, are not here at the moment !! :D :D )

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
cameeel said:
was it Sir Francis Stanley Jackson
Yes YES !! Knighted around 1905 .Well before his retirement .

Well done Mate, you beauty !! :clapping: :clapping: Your turn or SJS's turn to ask next question !! :D :D

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
For SJS - here's the extract from Wisden obituary on Monty Noble -

"Noble again was the best all-rounder in the second team captained by Joe Darling. During this 1902 tour he made his highest score in England — 284 at Hove against Sussex, he and Warwick Armstrong putting on 428, then a world record, for the sixth wicket. He stood out among his colleagues with 1,416 runs, average 32.93, next to Victor Trumper, and 98 wickets at less than 20 runs apiece, Hugh Trumble and J. V. Saunders being more effective with the ball. That was the tour in which Australia became sure of the rubber by a three runs victory at Old Trafford, while England in an equally dramatic finish won by one wicket at The Oval.

Three years later Darling lost the toss to F. S. Jackson, now Sir Stanley, in all five Tests, and England carried off the honours with two victories in the only decisive games."

cameeel

International Captain
OK, Question is:

What was special about the bowling performance of Thomas Matthews in Australia's second test against South Africa in 1912?

And who were his victims?

Sorry it took so long, i accidentally posted it in the wrong forum