• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Should I wait for him to confirm or go to my question - reproduced here -

Question

Only 3 Cricketers in the history of Test Cricket have held catches of their own Team Mates while fielding as substitute fielders for the opposition .
Who are they ?

Clue they are all from one country !! (sort of :D ) Now that's a clue !!
I think you should wait for him. From my research the two fielders who hold the world record for the maximum catches by a substitute firlder (in tests) is four by Gursharan Singh and Younis Khan.

So better wait mate ! :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
No ... they all hold the record (to my knowledge it hasn't been broken)
An extraordinary feat:
Five centuries in Pakistan's first innings score of 546 for 3 wickets declared in August 2001, equalled the world record for most centuries in a Test innings. In Australia's total of 758 for 8 declared vs. West Indies at Kingston in 1954-55, five batsmen had recorded hundreds.
Younis Khan in Bangladesh's second innings of 148 in August 2001, took four catches as substitute fielder - a record.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
An extraordinary feat:
Five centuries in Pakistan's first innings score of 546 for 3 wickets declared in August 2001, equalled the world record for most centuries in a Test innings. In Australia's total of 758 for 8 declared vs. West Indies at Kingston in 1954-55, five batsmen had recorded hundreds.
Younis Khan in Bangladesh's second innings of 148 in August 2001, took four catches as substitute fielder - a record.
You have proven me wrong ... my apologies

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
An extraordinary feat:
Wow, Younis must've been busy. Really that's an incredible statistic for someone who wasn't even in the Pakistani XI!

I guess it's back to Jason's question then? *groan* :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset said:
Wow, Younis must've been busy. Really that's an incredible statistic for someone who wasn't even in the Pakistani XI!

I guess it's back to Jason's question then? *groan* :p
Sorry. I cut and pasted from a report which creates confusion. But the facts are correct. The sub catcher in B Desh'a second innings in the score card below is Younis Khan :)

2001-2002 Asian Championship - 1st Test

Multan Cricket Stadium (29/08/2001 - Pakistan v Bangladesh)

Toss: Bangladesh
Result: Pakistan Won by an Innings and 264 Runs
Man of Match: D Kaneria

Bangladesh (1st Innings)
Total All Out 134
41.1 overs @ 3.26 rpo

Pakistan (1st Innings)
Total 3 wickets declared 546
114.5 overs @ 4.75 rpo

Bangladesh (2nd Innings)
R BF 4 6
Javed Omar c Abdul Razzaq b Waqar Younis 4 17 0 0
Mehrab Hossain c Rashid Latif b Waqar Younis 9 18 1 0
Habibul Bashar not out 56 97 5 0
Aminul Islam c subb Kaneria 18 40 2 0
Akram Khan c sub b Kaneria 8 21 1 0
Naimuir Rahman (c) c sub b Kaneria 4 16 0 0
Khaled Mashud (k) c & b Kaneria 0 1 0 0
Enamul Haque c Yousuf Youhana b Kaneria 7 7 1 0
Hasibul Hussain c sub b Kaneria 31 23 4 1
Mohammed Sharif c Rashid Latif b Waqar Younis 3 7 0 0
Manjural Islam b Waqar Younis 2 3 0 0
Extras (lb 3, nb 3) 6
Total All Out 148
41.1 overs @ 3.60 rpo

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Because I want the thread to move along I will give another clue - They were all Aussies and the catches were made in the 1880's . I will be offline soon , so will check answers tomorrow!! :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
From cricinfo : CTB Turner emulated WL Murdoch and AH Jarvis by holding a catch while substituting for the opposition.

I am sure this is correct so I will post a question seeing Jason will be gone for a while

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Now, where did you find that bit of info ?? :huh:
I have a book with the scorecard of every Test from 1877 to 1984 - I just flicked through the 1880s looking at Australian scorecards

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
I have a book with the scorecard of every Test from 1877 to 1984 - I just flicked through the 1880s looking at Australian scorecards
Ah, that would certainly help. How long ago did that book come out just out of interest?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Somerset said:
Ah, that would certainly help. How long ago did that book come out just out of interest?
It's called 'The Wisden Book of Test Cricket', published in 1985