• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
this is not the SJS Trivia Format :)

but i will still give u a clue it was before 1903
Australia's Bannerman in his team's second innings of the second test match ever at melbourne in April 1877, while scoring 30 in just 13 minutes.

biased indian

International Coach
no thats not the correct answer

players will be credit 6 to thier name even if its an overthrow six what i want is the firts one hit by a batsmen!!!

Fiery

Banned
SJS is right. Bannerman hit a 6 in the second test ever played in 1877. There were none hit in the first test or in the first two innings of the 2nd test and only one hit in the 3rd innings by Bannerman who scored a quick-fire 30.
I remember it well.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
no thats not the correct answer

players will be credit 6 to thier name even if its an overthrow six what i want is the firts one hit by a batsmen!!!
I dont know why you say that. but anyway the next six was hit by Ulyett in the same test in the next innings which was englands second innings of that test.

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:
I dont know why you say that. but anyway the next six was hit by Ulyett in the same test in the next innings which was englands second innings of that test.
cricinfo doesnt say so it has credited it to some one else not the both u have mentioned so far

Fiery

Banned
biased indian said:
cricinfo doesnt say so it has credited it to some one else not the both u have mentioned so far
Not according to the match archives it doesn't. Where are you looking?

biased indian

International Coach
Fiery said:
Not according to the match archives it doesn't. Where are you looking?
six which in those days involved hitting the ball right out of the ground as opposed to over the boundary. This was the first six ever hit in Test cricket without the aid of overthrows.

this is what cricinfo says about the hit by the person that iam asking for
so i am going by that and u two r wrong

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Biased Indian is right there. Till 1910, six runs were awarded only to those hits which went out of the *ground*, not merely over the boundary. The 'sixes' hit in 1877 went over the boundary but were awarded only 4 or 5 (depending on whatever the custom was at that time. England always had 4 runs, in Australia it was 4 or 5 runs).

I have a book that credits the over-the-boundary hits in that test to Bannerman and Hill, not Bannerman and Ulyett.

Joe Darling was supposed to have made the first hit out of the ground, in 1897-98. But recent researches have uncovered more o-t-g and o-t-b hits in Tests played in South Africa in 1895/6. AFAIK, Arthur Hill is now considered the scorer of the first six in Tests.

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
Tapioca said:
Biased Indian is right there. Till 1910, six runs were awarded only to those hits which went out of the *ground*, not merely over the boundary. The 'sixes' hit in 1877 went over the boundary but were awarded only 4 or 5 (depending on whatever the custom was at that time. England always had 4 runs, in Australia it was 4 or 5 runs).

I have a book that credits the over-the-boundary hits in that test to Bannerman and Hill, not Bannerman and Ulyett.

Joe Darling was supposed to have made the first hit out of the ground, in 1897-98. But recent researches have uncovered more o-t-g and o-t-b hits in Tests played in South Africa in 1895/6. AFAIK, Arthur Hill is now considered the scorer of the first six in Tests.
hope evrey one is satisfied now

u r turn now tapioca:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
The bad influence is from the Off Topic Forum I beg to submit :stretcher
Apologies for my very incisive comments yesterday , SJS !!

But I thought I had to make that observation in the interests of keeping the thread on the right track !

Thank you for taking it in the right way and not getting offended by those observations !!

After posting those comments I fell asleep in front of the PC and discovered waking up in front of the computer, having gone offline !! :D :D

I appreciate the observations of Membersstand too. Lets have fun , but keep the questions to genuine cricket related ones . Follow the good example set by one of the best and long term posters on this thread Biased Indian !!

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
What is this number ?

What is the significance in first class cricket of

I have an answer in mind for each one. If you can come up with something better, we'll go with yours 8-)

(1) 851

(2) 1018

(3) 850 (hint - the corresponding record in Test cricket is 770)

Anyone who gets two gets the chance to ask the next one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Stabs in dark:

2 - is that the score when a side first past 1000 in a FC innings?
3 - most balls bowled in an inning / match?