• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
By the way Dan Thomas is a member of the Assn of Cricket Statisticians and Historians:

Daniel Thomas

Email address: REMOVED
Home page:REMOVED

I only joined ACS in April 1997. I have an avid interest in cricket statistics mainly Test Matches and 1-Day Internationals. I have also written a cricket simulation (International Test Cricket - available at REMOVED) for Windows based PCs that uses statistics to play Test Matches. I also run a Cricket PBeM league that uses ITC to play its matches.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Am afraid I can't get it with the resources I have at hand :(

I think it'll go to someone with either a fat encyclopedia or the right cricket book.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Sorry M'stand. I am looking for the first instance , on record, that mentions that the colour of the cricket ball was crimson.

1753 is correct as the year but where specifically was it mentioned ?
Sorry SJS didn't see that before..It was in a poem by Richard someone. It's still open in another window I think... (I've got about 50 open thanks to this question)

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
It wasn't Richard but here it is...

19 (Barty-King, 1979, p. 29) A poem, dedicated to the Duke of Dorset, refers to a crimson ball.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
membersstand said:
It wasn't Richard but here it is...

19 (Barty-King, 1979, p. 29) A poem, dedicated to the Duke of Dorset, refers to a crimson ball.
And then stick that onto the paragraph above...

shankar

International Debutant
There is a theory(for the reason why the cricket ball is red) that original balls may have been balls of tightly bound wool, matted together with the reddle or ochre, (a red iron-ore used in marking) which was used to mark sheep. But this is purely hypothesis with no supporting evidence.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
shankar said:
There is a theory(for the reason why the cricket ball is red) that original balls may have been balls of tightly bound wool, matted together with the reddle or ochre, (a red iron-ore used in marking) which was used to mark sheep. But this is purely hypothesis with no supporting evidence.
But why it was CRIMSON ?

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Must..pack..bag. Be..back..soon..

**stumbles off to bedroom, one hand feeling the path ahead and one holding his eyelid open**

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Edward tells me to tell you he's going to Melbourne for a family holiday...
LOL thanks Neil.

Have a good week all and if Burkey or Bookie get out of hand (ok perhaps I should stop now)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hi Guys. I was out the whole night. Imagine partying like that at my age :happy: but I had a great time and returned at 6 in the morning :sleep: .

Anyway. Yes Memberstand is right about the poem and its origins. Well done indeed. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Just to put on record, the poem was called Sevenoke:A Poem, which describes a match on the Sevenoaks Vine ground and refers to 'the crimson ball'.

The second part of the question may be very difficult to find an answer to so I will give it myself.

Prabably by accident the colour at the opposite end of the spectrum to the green (of the grass on the field) was adopted but this happens to be the perfect contrast for the human eye cannot focus the two colours simultaneously !!

Memberstand, your turn next.

PS. Guru Jason, I hope this question passes the mustard and rates low on the frivolity scale :). Kidding.

Last edited: