• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
membersstand said:
Yeh sorry about that Jason. I realised today when Dan got me to read the rules of SJS format so I thought I'd read these ones as well. I guess I'm also responsible for misleading Burkey and Bookie. Should we get it back on track ?
Lets finish this one and return to regular format from here on end.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
wat is the regular format?
Question posted and others post 1 or 2 possible answers. The questioner acknowledges the correct one as winner. And the winner posts next question. If no one attempts an answer for 24 hours (ie the question is tough or vague ) then questioner can and should give clues . But no questions to guide to the answer like in SJS format . :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
Jason u have to accept memberstand answer bannerman was the first one how can u say no with some flimsy reasoning :) :)

OK, Mate. I'll heed your call. We will give it to membersstand .

*curses himself for not wording question properly*

The answer I was looking for was Ken Barrington , who scored centuries against 7 Test playing countries up until then. (subsequently SL, Zim and Bangla have become test nations.)

So its membersstand turn to post next question!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
fellas, wat is the proper format for this thread?
I posted a reply in the previous page! :) Maybe it was not clear. Burkey scroll a few pages back and see the questions as they were and the answers as they were posted and you will figure it out !! Not complicated Mate !

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
Jason u where wrong with answer for my question (about declaring)
i will give the exact details of the test soon
You are right . It was the first Test Australia V England June 1899 Nottingham. :D

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
biased indian said:
Jason u where wrong with answer for my question (about declaring)
i will give the exact details of the test soon
i forgot the exact match i will try to find out soon
but the first declaration was surely before 1900

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
biased indian said:
i forgot the exact match i will try to find out soon
but the first declaration was surely before 1900
Here you go - it was in fact 1893, 17-19 July 1893 and Stoddart was the first Captain to declare an innings closed.

England 334 Australia 269. Since it was only a 3 day Test, one suspects Stoddart declared to force a result at 8/234 , but alas rain intervened and prevented play after lunch 3rd day . :)

My previous answer of 1928 was the first occasion a declaration happened in a Test in Australia!!

Last edited: