• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS gets it! Frank Chester played 55 games for Worcs between 1912 and 1914 before becoming an Umpire and umpiring 48 Tests.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ferd said:
SJS gets it! Frank Chester played 55 games for Worcs between 1912 and 1914 before becoming an Umpire and umpiring 48 Tests.
He was only 19 in 1914, the last year before the war and scored almost 1000 runs for the season inluding 178 not out. Was also a fine left arm spinner.

Lost his right arm in the war.

According to Jack Hobbs, who had played against him before the WWI, he would have made a fine all rounder for England.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
He was only 19 in 1914, the last year before the war and scored almost 1000 runs for the season inluding 178 not out. Was also a fine left arm spinner.

Lost his right arm in the war.

According to Jack Hobbs, who had played against him before the WWI, he would have made a fine all rounder for England.
What a shame..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Some more intersting trivia about Frank Chester.

He was the one who started the now common practice of umpires bending low over the stumps to get the best view.

Also he gave Doug Insole out LBW when Doug was bowled off his pads by Ramadhin. Chester insisted that he had declared Insole LBW before the ball hit the stumps so Insole WAS recorded as LBW. Then MCC made an amendment to the rules stating that even if LBW, a batsman will be ruled bowled if the ball goes and hits the stumps !!

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Some more intersting trivia about Frank Chester.

He was the one who started the now common practice of umpires bending low over the stumps to get the best view.

Also he gave Doug Insole out LBW when Doug was bowled off his pads by Ramadhin. Chester insisted that he had declared Insole LBW before the ball hit the stumps so Insole WAS recorded as LBW. Then MCC made an amendment to the rules stating that even if LBW, a batsman will be ruled bowled if the ball goes and hits the stumps !!
Great stuff SJS (y)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Oh well its a principality surrounded by Malaysia . Anyway this guy is listed as being born in Malaysia in some places and being born in Brunei in other places.
But the name and county are correct !!

So what's the big problem with the answer !! :@ :@
My answers off CricInfo Jason.
Brunei, France and ENGLAND(The ODI Team) were the answers I was looking for.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
My answers off CricInfo Jason.
Brunei, France and ENGLAND(The ODI Team) were the answers I was looking for.
OK . Fair enough.

But Generally Mate I am generous in giving people credit when I know they have got the answer !!

But I guess that's the way I choose to play this trivia , and you are entitled to play it whichever way you want! :mellow: :happy:

And you are certainly not alone (among others on this thread) in being picky on getting the answer to the exact detail !!

I play this trivia for fun and to make others derive fun too !! :happy: :happy:
(Of late I have noticed Membersstand has the same attitude like me in posting and having fun on these trivia threads !!)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
In nearly 45 minutes it would be 24 hours since Ferd acknowledged SJS's correct answer !

Then it becomes open for anyone to post the next question ! (as SJS would then be deemed to have foregone his turn to ask next question !)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
In nearly 45 minutes it would be 24 hours since Ferd acknowledged SJS's correct answer !

Then it becomes open for anyone to post the next question ! (as SJS would then be deemed to have foregone his turn to ask next question !)
Hi
sorry I was writing a long post. Its an interesting one and highly recommended :p on the Lillee vs Hadlee thread

Ok what do you want me to do ? :huh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:

I play this trivia for fun and to make others derive fun too !! :happy: :happy:
(Of late I have noticed Membersstand has the same attitude like me in posting and having fun on these trivia threads !!)
Hey. What about me :@ :@