• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Only 3 correct I am afraid . I cannot say which three .
Oh I can tell which 3 are positively correct.

Spofforth the Demon
Lumpy Stevens the Farmer and
Jessop the Croucher.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
George Giffen was the WG of Australia.

There are many farmers. Not sure about Lumpy, but JC White was probably the most famous. The Lamborn/Lambert who invented off spin was called 'Little Farmer'. There are atleast 2-3 more, but can't remember them OTOH.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
George Giffen was the WG of Australia.

There are many farmers. Not sure about Lumpy, but JC White was probably the most famous. The Lamborn/Lambert who invented off spin was called 'Little Farmer'. There are atleast 2-3 more, but can't remember them OTOH.
Wasnt Lumpy Stevens and Lambert the same person ? Am I mixing the two.

You are right. The farmer Or little Farmer WAS the bowler to first bowl an underarm off break.

I think I mixed him with Lumpy Steven who bowled so straight that he kept bowling right through the two stumps without getting the batsman out ! There after the three stumps were introduced.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Oh I can tell which 3 are positively correct.

Spofforth the Demon
Lumpy Stevens the Farmer and
Jessop the Croucher.
Lumpy :D :D is not the Farmer as has been stated by Tapioca. You are better off going with Tapioca on this .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Lumpy :D :D is not the Farmer as has been stated by Tapioca. You are better off going with Tapioca on this .
Come on Jason. Dont rub it in. :wacko:
I already conceded that long ago :huh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
membersstand said:
**Gives up on this thread until the next question**
Ok. Here is the answer to my question that has remained unanswered :-

The first cricketer to be called the Champion was Alfred Mynn also called the lion of Kent I think.

Come back Eddy all is forgiven :sleep:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
My Question - (pending confirmation by SJS)who was called the following ?

"the old Master"

"the Demon"

"Prince"

"The Croucher"

"Farmer"

"WG Grace of Australia"

To win you have to get atleast 5 correct !! (I am off to bed now will check tomorrow !!)
"the old Master"-------????

"the Demon"---------Spofforth

"Prince"----------Ranji

"The Croucher"------Jessop

"Farmer"--------JC White ( Lambert)

"WG Grace of Australia"-----George Giffen

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
As I see it no one person has got all 5 correct. Membersstand (alias Eddy :D ) got 2 correct (Spofforth and 50/50 each way bet on Geoge Giffen - :D ) SJS got 2 correct (Ranji and Jessop) and Tapioca got 1 (the crucial JC White = Farmer). So any of the three of you can post next question or all three can post questions !! :laugh: :laugh:
First one to post the question gets the credit !!

Anyway there's still one which no one got - "the old Master" - was Wilfred Rhodes .

:kicking: :sport: :whistling

membersstand

State Vice-Captain

I'm thinking of an Australian fast bowler with a very interesting (and very good) record. Name the bowler and the record.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Alan Davidson first to score 100 runs (in a test match both innings combined!! ) and take 10 wickets .

Last edited:

membersstand

State Vice-Captain

I'm thinking of an Australian fast bowler with a very interesting (and very good) record. Name the bowler and the record.

Q1: JASON: Alan Davidson first to score 100 runs (in a test match both innings combined!! ) and take 10 wickets? NO

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Geoff Dymock - dismissing all eleven batsmen in a Test after Laker in 1956, and Venkat in 1964-5.

or TJ Matthews 2 hat tricks in same day.