• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

This unique record is unlikely to be equalled because it requires a unique combination of things to come together!! It has only happened once in Wellington in NZ. What record is it ?

Bryce you should know it !! :) :)

Clue - it's a slight variation of a record which requires a unique combination !!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Question

This unique record is unlikely to be equalled because it requires a unique combination of things to come together!! It has happened in Wellington in NZ. What record is it ?

Bryce you should know it !! :) :)
Change in format if you agree ?
Q1. Is it a test match record?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

This unique record is unlikely to be equalled because it requires a unique combination of things to come together!! It has only happened once in Wellington in NZ. What record is it ?
Q1. Is it a test match record ? Yes
SJS said:
Q2. Is it a batting record ?
Q 2 Is it a batting record ?Yes.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
January 1991.

Martin Crowe(299) and Arvinda De Silva(267), both made the highest test scores by their respective countries in the same test match.

De Silva's recoed has since been overtaken by Jayasuriya.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
January 1991.

Martin Crowe(299) and Arvinda De Silva(267), both made the highest test scores by their respective countries in the same test match.

De Silva's recoed has since been overtaken by Jayasuriya.
Q 3 Is it Two batsmen making their highest score for their countries (ie Martin Crowe and Aravinda De Silva) ? No

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Two players of the same side, both brothers, scoring hundreds in both innings of the same test match.

Greg Chappell 247 no and 133
Ian Chappell 145 and 121

at the Basin Reserve in March 1974

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Two players of the same side, both brothers, scoring hundreds in both innings of the same test match.

Greg Chappell 247 no and 133
Ian Chappell 145 and 121

at the Basin Reserve in March 1974
Correct !! Well Done !! :clapping: :clapping:

I doubt if it will ever get equalled !! Two brothers both scoring Century in each innings of the same Test Match!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Correct !! Well Done !! :clapping: :clapping:

I doubt if it will ever get equalled !! Two brothers both scoring Century in each innings of the same Test Match!!
Extremely unlikely.

BTW, what I stated earlier about Crowe's and DeSilva's records was also at Wellington and , I dont think in the post WW 2 period at least this has ever happened. I was quite sure I had got it :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Grimmett and Arthur Mailey are both Australians and both leg spinners. What else is common between them ?

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Grimmett was a calligrapher, Mailey (among other things) a cartoonist.

Mailey, in 1921, took 10 for 66 in an innings in England. (When asked about it later, he said that he could have taken 10 for 37, but it wouldn't have sounded as good). Nine years later Grimmett took 10 for 37 while touring England. AFAIK, they are the only Aussies to take 10 in England.

Am I on the right track ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tapioca said:
Grimmett was a calligrapher, Mailey (among other things) a cartoonist.

Mailey, in 1921, took 10 for 66 in an innings in England. (When asked about it later, he said that he could have taken 10 for 37, but I wouldn't have sounded as good). Nine years later Grimmett took 10 for 37 while touring England. AFAIK, they are the only Aussies to take 10 in England.

Am I on the right track ?
Brilliant. So I will restate my question

Grimmett and Arthur Mailey are both Australians, both leg spinners, both have taken 10 wickets inj an innings in England and both are artists (Grimmett a calligrapher and Mailey a cartoonist). What else is common between them ?

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:

Grimmett and Arthur Mailey are both Australians, both leg spinners, both have taken 10 wickets inj an innings in England and both are artists (Grimmett a calligrapher and Mailey a cartoonist). What else is common between them ?
both played thier debut test match at sydney!!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:

They have both got some of the most expensive match bowling analysis in the history of Test Cricket on record !!

Mailey is the bigger culprit of the two in this regard having been regarded as "the millionaire" spinner !!(having 4 entries in the record of bowlers having conceded greater than 250 runs in a Match). 7/308 Australia v England Sydney 1924/5, 10/302 v England Adelaide 1920/1, 9/266 v England at the Oval 1926, 6/259 v England Adelaide 1924/5.

Clarrie Grimmett [generally regarded the 'Miser'(ly) Spinner with a career economy of 2.16] still gets 2 entries in the category of bowlers conceding over 250 runs in a match. 9/298 v England at the exhibition Ground Brisbane, Nov/Dec 1928, 8/272 v England at Lord's 1930.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
They have both got some of the most expensive match bowling analysis in the history of Test Cricket on record !!

Mailey is the bigger culprit of the two in this regard having been regarded as "the millionaire" spinner !!(having 4 entries in the record of bowlers having conceded greater than 250 runs in a Match). 7/308 Australia v England Sydney 1924/5, 10/302 v England Adelaide 1920/1, 9/266 v England at the Oval 1926, 6/259 v England Adelaide 1924/5.

Clarrie Grimmett [generally regarded the 'Miser'(ly) Spinner with a career economy of 2.16] still gets 2 entries in the category of bowlers conceding over 250 runs in a match. 9/298 v England at the exhibition Ground Brisbane, Nov/Dec 1928, 8/272 v England at Lord's 1930.
Well. You are on the right track. Close enough to get it in one more try though thats not the exact answer.

They both have a world record which is the reason for this commonality.

What is that record ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Well. You are on the right track. Close enough to get it in one more try though thats not the exact answer.

They both have a world record which is the reason for this commonality.

What is that record ?
Most balls bowled in a test Match ?