• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Tony Greig. England in West Indies 1973-74

His first contribution to the series, however, was to spark a controversy that set the tone for this volatile all-rounder. Greig bowled the last ball of the day to Julien who played it back down the pitch. Alvin Kallicharan, the non-striker saw Greig field the ball and walked off towards the dressing room. Impetuously Greig threw the ball at the stumps and appealed for a run out. The appeal was upheld and the uproar started. After many hurried conversations England withdrew the appeal, much to Greig's annoyance. It wasn't the last run-in he had with the West Indies!

- source GOOGLE: Ran a search for "RUN OUT TONY GREIG" :D It was the second option offered...

Greig, Tony - Profiles
... In 1973/4 Tony Greig toured the West Indies with England and showed the entire ...
Impetuously Greig threw the ball at the stumps and appealed for a run out. ...
people.africadatabase.org/en/profile/2553.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
Correct !! Well done . The Umpire invlved in the controversy has a chinese sounding name - D. Sang Hue.

Over to you !! (BTW have you visited the new trivia thread , cos I posted something on that one :D )

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Correct !! Well done . The Umpire invlved in the controversy has a chinese sounding name - D. Sang Hue.

Over to you !! (BTW have you visited the new trivia thread , cos I posted something on that one :D )
Yes I did. But I think two Question Threads at the same time are a bit too much even if the format is different.

bryce

International Regular
i reckon a whole new section should be started i.e like Cricket Chat or ICC Series but instead 'Cricket Trivia', i think that would be quite good.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
When was the idea of a ONE DAY limited over cricket match first mooted and why was it shot down ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
It's more tough than I thought it would be. :wacko:
I was shocked when I came across this bvit of information.

A Clue : It was before I was born and I am pushing 55 :-O

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:
I was shocked when I came across this bvit of information.

A Clue : It was before I was born and I am pushing 55 :-O
Might be time for another hint. I've no idea what could be the answer.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
When was the idea of a ONE DAY limited over cricket match first mooted and why was it shot down ?

Well its difficult to find by a search engine and if you dont know you wont get it anyway. Since the major part of the question is really guessing the time (year) a hint will really be difficult to frame.

There are two options. Either I give the reply and we move to another question or we revert to the 20 quetion format just for this one
????????

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There isnt much in the year really. I will say it.

It was way back in 1943 !!

The reasons are interesting. They gave two reasons. Can anyone think what these were ?

Sudeep

International Captain
SJS said:

Well its difficult to find by a search engine and if you dont know you wont get it anyway. Since the major part of the question is really guessing the time (year) a hint will really be difficult to frame.

There are two options. Either I give the reply and we move to another question or we revert to the 20 quetion format just for this one
????????
20 Q format might be okay...

Well, yeah, it's difficult getting it through the search engine... All I know (from what I've read) is...

- Was proposed once in 1956, but rejected.
- English counties started playing ODs in 1963
- First ODI was played in 1971, after what was supposed to be a Test was washed out.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
20 Q format might be okay...

Well, yeah, it's difficult getting it through the search engine... All I know (from what I've read) is...

- Was proposed once in 1956, but rejected.
- English counties started playing ODs in 1963
- First ODI was played in 1971, after what was supposed to be a Test was washed out.
Its a very interesting story how the whole thing developed. I think I might put it in the Strange, Bizzare and Funny thread , the full story og limited over cricket. It sounds amazing in hindsight :-O

Anyway, shoot your 20 questions for the two reasons for rejecting the idea .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shankar said:
They thought people would reject the idea of ODI's and crowds wouldnt come?
Q1 NO

PS Sorry I was busy making a question for posting on the other thread :p