• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

bryce

International Regular
marc71178 said:
He didn't say that they were all necessarily the same country.

The prescence of Ranji and Nawab on there suggests some sort of royalty connection...
well he did say they are all english and all from the same country so it would take some fairly extenuating circumstances for the 3 players not to be in that list.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SORRY FOLKS.

One false reply.

Answer to century on debut should have been NO (I said Yes) but I am compensating by stating that they scored hundreds in their first ASHES test. Of course if I had said NO, you would have been farther from the answer than you are now.

:-O :-O

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I know the three - even if I don't know the common things - Ranji(KS Ranjithsinghi), Nawab of Pataudi senior and Duleep (KS Duleepsinghi).

The Common things at a guess - Century on Debut against Australia, Royalty , Playing for England although from India ... unsure about the others.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
I know the three - even if I don't know the common things - Ranji(Ranjithsinghi), Nawab of Pataudi and Duleep (Duleepsinghi)

The Common things at a guess - Century on Debut against Australia, Royalty , Playing for England although from India ... unsure about the others.
CORRECT : Take a bow Guru Jason
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The four things are already stated.

1. They are all Indians
2. They all made their debut for another country, namely England
3. They all scored hundreds in their first Ashes test
4. They were all princes.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
CORRECT : Take a bow Guru Jason
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The four things are already stated.

1. They are all Indians
2. They all made their debut for another country, namely England
3. They all scored hundreds in their first Ashes test
4. They were all princes.
Thank you, I think the big give away for me was when you said that Century on Debut was actually a mistake and the Century on debut was only against Australia. So a quick flick thru' Duleep's record confirmed his score of 173 against Australia on Test Debut !!

So you were right misleading us by saying they did make a Century on Debut was the biggest thing that lead us closer to the answer !!

Marc's help is appreciated too!! The hint about Royalty !! :sly: ;)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Thank you, I think the big give away for me was when you said that Century on Debut was actually a mistake and the Century on debut was only against Australia. So a quick flick thru' Duleep's record confirmed his score of 173 against Australia on Test Debut !!

So you were right misleading us by saying they did make a Century on Debut was the biggest thing that lead us closer to the answer !!

Marc's help is appreciated too!! The hint about Royalty !! :sly: ;)
Jason. This is more fun man.

There is a genuine effort to try and get to the answer by people on their own rather than use search engines mainly,

Dont you think?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Jason. This is more fun man.

There is a genuine effort to try and get to the answer by people on their own rather than use search engines mainly,

Dont you think?
Definitely more pleasureable !! I quite enjoyed it although when you said 4 qestions left I did wonder if I was going to run out of qestions and not get the answer !!

I am only disappointed that there weren't many others on line apart from Bryce !!
Because I can see it will become more enjoyable when more people participate at the same time !!

Question for this thread (Back to old format) :D

Question.

In the only instance kown where an umpire changed a decision from giving a batsman out to not out in a Test Match, the last ball of the second day's play was played down the pitch.The non-striker was (possibly thinking the play had ended and was) standing out-of his ground when a fielder threw down the non-striker's wicket and appealed and the batsman was given out.

However that evening following considerable discussions and meetings between the umpires, captains and officials the Appeal was withdrawn in the interests of cricket, and the decision reversed !!

Which Test , who are the individuals concerned !!

(Clue - the fielder is Channel 9 commentator, who captained his adopted country prior to moving down under and then being the organiser of another controversial cricket carnival)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
fielder = Tony Grieg
Bryce the clue was intended to be easy . So I would love to give it to you . :) But can you work your way to which Test or even more info on the Teams !! (Before I give it )

bryce

International Regular
i have actually heard of this incident before, the trouble i'm having is finding the source where i heard it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
i have actually heard of this incident before, the trouble i'm having is finding the source where i heard it.
OK I will help you with one more clue - the other Team was Windies !!
Now you have to tell me the batsman involved, the Umpire, the Venue etc.etc. :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tony Greig. England in West Indies 1973-74

His first contribution to the series, however, was to spark a controversy that set the tone for this volatile all-rounder. Greig bowled the last ball of the day to Julien who played it back down the pitch. Alvin Kallicharan, the non-striker saw Greig field the ball and walked off towards the dressing room. Impetuously Greig threw the ball at the stumps and appealed for a run out. The appeal was upheld and the uproar started. After many hurried conversations England withdrew the appeal, much to Greig's annoyance. It wasn't the last run-in he had with the West Indies!

- source GOOGLE: Ran a search for "RUN OUT TONY GREIG" :D It was the second option offered...

Greig, Tony - Profiles
... In 1973/4 Tony Greig toured the West Indies with England and showed the entire ...
Impetuously Greig threw the ball at the stumps and appealed for a run out. ...
people.africadatabase.org/en/profile/2553.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages