• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan = Hussey????

Linda

International Vice-Captain
King_Ponting said:
I'd have to agree with that (only cause of my WA bias)
Hello, thats the predominant reason he's in over *coughdirtytraitorcough* Katich. :p

open365

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Ramprakash benefitted from there not being any decent competition for the spot, must be the only explanation for him playing so many Tests.
ramprakash rivals hick in terms of unfilled talent at international level IMO.

the england selectors never wanted to drop either if them because of the potential they both had but unfortunately none did aswell as they should.

i dont see the problem with selecting hussey in the test side,i think he has the right attitude and in form(he's second in the FC averages this season i think)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But the age old question then is "in place of whom" and which of the middle order actually deserves to be dropped?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, there's no room for him. Only two of the batting spots in the Australian team could possibly be questioned right now, which are Clarke and Hayden. Hayden is out of form and has been for over a year now, but he's done enough to warrant completing the Ashes series before he gets seriously looked at, and Clarke is looked at quite rightly as the future of the Australian team, and would have to have an absolutely woeful time of it in the near future to get dropped.

Unless Hayden gets dropped, there's no room for Hussey until the retirements come, in my opinion.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Hussey is going to be picked, it should be now. His record in county cricket is overwhelming, and it's what, 4 years till the next ashes tour? I've always been a firm believer in horses for courses (India wouldn't have been so difficult had they picked some more spin players in 2001, of which there are more than a few in Australia, believe it or not), and Hussey feeds off the English greenery.

As for Bevan, he has deserved a test recall, should still be in contention really, had an unbelievable pura cup season for Tasmania, after about 5 mostly remarkable seasons for NSW. The short ball weakness got him dropped, but he fixed that by learning to hook and pull very effectively, which is why he's still scoring tons of runs in first class cricket in both hemispheres.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Ramprakash benefitted from there not being any decent competition for the spot, must be the only explanation for him playing so many Tests.
thats probably one of the reasons. i do think though that bevan wasnt really respected by his team mates or the selectors, they've obviously not really warmed up to him(or particularly his attitude)like they have with someone like hayden and its really explains why he was kicked out of the ODI side at the first available opportunity.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Has Katich played County Cricket before, and if so, how was he performed? Especially in comparison to the other members of the Aus middle order, plus Hodge and Hussey. I'd just like to know.
Katich has played for hampshire on and off for the last 3 years and has done pretty well certianly better than clarke did at the same county i think he has played for durham aswell. Average of around 50 i think, an average of 49 so far for hampshire this year

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
kwigibo said:
If Hussey is going to be picked, it should be now. His record in county cricket is overwhelming, and it's what, 4 years till the next ashes tour? I've always been a firm believer in horses for courses (India wouldn't have been so difficult had they picked some more spin players in 2001, of which there are more than a few in Australia, believe it or not), and Hussey feeds off the English greenery.

As for Bevan, he has deserved a test recall, should still be in contention really, had an unbelievable pura cup season for Tasmania, after about 5 mostly remarkable seasons for NSW. The short ball weakness got him dropped, but he fixed that by learning to hook and pull very effectively, which is why he's still scoring tons of runs in first class cricket in both hemispheres.
all that about Hussey may be true but and i agree that he should be picked in the near future, but i'll wait until the ashes concludes & see if Hayden especially fails to let him open. But has some people right said we could have another langer situation with Katich probably going to open the batting. But time will tell

Well looking at the way the australian selectors i wouldn't think Bevan is in contention for a test spot in the future. Your point there about Bevan can also relate to Stuart Law but they all suffered since they could replace anyone in the middle order with the Waugh's & Ponting around.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
Too late for that. Mike is already 30.
not really mike hussey still has 8 years in him and dave has 10 years so they could still do it remember mark started in 94/95 and retired in 2003 thats 8 years

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is true and in addition, Bevan may not have gotten a disproportionate number of opportunities but he had enough. For a while he played like a champion but then the run of low scores and dismissals outside off-stump started and that was that.

Mind you, any other player may have been persevered with during a small slump like on the 1997 Ashes tour but Bevan is a 'delicate' personality and to be handled with care. The advantage to that (such as Lara for example) is when you're a class player who continually puts up the numbers, people will put up with you. The disadvantage is that as soon as you show signs of decline, you are gone. The core point is that if you crap on everyone in yoru team, there will be precious little leeway when things aren't going your way.

Whilst Hussey is playing well, it does have to be noted that when he was demolishing English county attacks in the 90's, he wasn't demolishing domestic Australian attacks but was doing well in domestic ODI's. Hussey's name has been mentioned as a potential top Test player for around 8 years now and has had plenty of opportunities to show what he's got. Indeed he's in form right now (I've really enjoyed watching him bat, in fact) but I have this fear that if he was picked ahead of anyone in the Test side right now, he'd revert to previously bad FC form.

Anyway, it's academic; as FaaipDeOiad said, there's no-one who could be dropped right now.

not really mike hussey still has 8 years in him and dave has 10 years so they could still do it remember mark started in 94/95 and retired in 2003 thats 8 years
Mark started in Jan 1991, mate. He was 25 at the time.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1990-91/ENG_IN_AUS/ENG_AUS_T4_25-29JAN1991.html

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Monty said:
Hussey won't play until he is 38.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
sledger said:
bevans time has almost certainly passed now imo..
Oh, I agree. But it's not for lack of ability or form. He could average 200 next season and he wouldn't get a look in. His dropping from the test team was for a justifiable reason, but he remedied that in FC cricket at home and abroad. His ODI dumping wasn't justified, Ostensibly it was about age but they replaced him with people the same age. It was really because they just don't like him. If he had averaged in the low 40's/30's like everyone else in the ODI team, he'd probably have been dropped last century. But like people here have said, it's probably his own fault, if he had ingratiated himself like a lot of other players he might still be there, even if he was just a blatant arsekiss like, say, Langer (I've nothing against Langer, but a browner nose I've not seen). They couldn't wait to give Elliott a shot last year, who is the same age, who was similarly found out in the late 90's, who was similarly prolific at FC level. Let's face it, Bevan's out for good, but it has precious little to do with what he does with a cricket bat in his hand.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Monty said:
I can't see him staying around till he's 38!