• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan = Hussey????

howardj

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
Umm last year and the year before last
Umm

2000/01 FC Av 30
2001/02 FC Av 35
2002/03 FC Av 34
2003/04 FC Av 41

Granted, he had a stellar summer last year, averaging 55. However, as demonstrated by the preceeding years, he is an average cricketer at the FC level in Australia. If you can't even average over 42 in FC cricket for 4 of the last 5 years, it kind of says something.

King_Ponting

International Regular
take into account his home ground is the waca which is a bowlers paradise. and in all those years bar one his average is improving which indicates he himself is improving as a player

howardj

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
take into account his home ground is the waca which is a bowlers paradise. and in all those years bar one his average is improving which indicates he himself is improving as a player
Improving? That would be OK if he was improving from an average of 45 to 50. But, as demonstrated, he was coming off a pitifully low base of 30. Besides, he's not in his early 20's. Fact is, he's 30 years of age; has had plenty of time to prove himself; and as his PC record this decade indicates, he is - at best - a solid performer for the Warriors.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
Sorry, but Bevan's Test record is 785 runs @ 29.07 - how does he belong in Test Cricket with that record?

And Hussey hasn't even played one, so you can't say he belongs in Test Cricket either, there's simply no evidence available.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
Umm

2000/01 FC Av 30
2001/02 FC Av 35
2002/03 FC Av 34
2003/04 FC Av 41

Granted, he had a stellar summer last year, averaging 55. However, as demonstrated by the preceeding years, he is an average cricketer at the FC level in Australia. If you can't even average over 42 in FC cricket for 4 of the last 5 years, it kind of says something.
Blimey, didn't realise he'd put up those numbers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Hussey shouldn't be in the Test side - simply not Test class. His record in FC cricket for WA is very patchy. As Ian Healy eluded to back in June, there's no doubt that if Hayden fails in this Ashes series, he will get dropped for the following Australian summer. If that were to transpire, Hussey wouldn't be his replacement though - Phil Jacques would be.
absolute madness mate, what has made Huseey not test class forget about healy said last June, look at Hussey now u cant tell me he wont be successfull in test cricket.

King_Ponting

International Regular
aussie said:
absolute madness mate, what has made Huseey not test class forget about healy said last June, look at Hussey now u cant tell me he wont be successfull in test cricket.

Bevan= brilliant one day batsman Bevan= Poor test batsman. Anything is a possibilty.

Although i believe hussey is test class and is a better player than katich.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Bevan= brilliant one day batsman Bevan= Poor test batsman. Anything is a possibilty.

Although i believe hussey is test class and is a better player than katich.
i dont think poor is the best classification of Bevan's test career. Anyway at this stage i would give Katich the slight edge of Hussey until i see him at test level.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Improving? That would be OK if he was improving from an average of 45 to 50. But, as demonstrated, he was coming off a pitifully low base of 30. Besides, he's not in his early 20's. Fact is, he's 30 years of age; has had plenty of time to prove himself; and as his PC record this decade indicates, he is - at best - a solid performer for the Warriors.
Exactly. Had he been pilling on the runs in the late 90s and early this century he would have been pressing for an opening spot in the test side. However, ther were only 4 realistic options for Australia - Taylor, Slater, Hayden & Elliot. Than Langer got lucky and held his spot. I have no doubt that Hussey would have been a test opener if he was good enough.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
By that theory Symonds is also test class, yet people want to right him off after only 2 tests.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
By that theory Symonds is also test class, yet people want to right him off after only 2 tests.
how does this theory make symo test class??

Mister Wright

aussie said:
how does this theory make symo test class??
Well, we're going on one day performances aren't we to judge if Hussey is test class? Just like Lee. Symonds has been the best batsman on tour.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Well, we're going on one day performances aren't we to judge if Hussey is test class? Just like Lee. Symonds has been the best batsman on tour.
well Symo is one of many good batsmen who have suffered form being australian, since looking at the batsman he is these days i would say he could make a decent test batsman.

Hussey on the other hand has scored prolifically as an opener in state cricket & over here for years and is definately the next opener behind Langer & Hayden.