• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, even though it's only a smallish sample size, but based on yesterday it's Australia. Some might say Pakistan, India or England but they haven't played enough tests during that time.

We're back, babeh!!! :ph34r:

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
I'd be interested to find out what your definitions of string and recent are because the 2 are not compatible in that sentence.
Really? 2 test wins and a test series draw against England, away test wins in SL and Bangladesh and they havent lost an overall series since 2014.

Surely that's not difficult to understand?

Motorwada

Banned
Really? 2 test wins and a test series draw against England, away test wins in SL and Bangladesh and they havent lost an overall series since 2014.

India has won away series in SL and a test series win in WI (where Pakistan has never won). They haven't lost an overall series since 2014 cause they have hardly toured outside the SC.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Their string of wins was a whole 2 series, which doesn't really count as a string in my book.

In terms of recent, they've barely played away from home so you can't make any claims on that front either.

Daemon

Pakistan are ****, they lost to WI at home, got schooled by a debutant who's taken like 1 5-fer in his entire FC career, they're dropping a catch for every one taken, just an all round shambles really. Rubbish side. If this is the sort of team that's meant to be #1 I fear for the future of test cricket.

Motorwada

Banned
Pakistan are ****, they lost to WI at home, got schooled by a debutant who's taken like 1 5-fer in his entire FC career, they're dropping a catch for every one taken, just an all round shambles really. Rubbish side. If this is the sort of team that's meant to be #1 I fear for the future of test cricket.
Just got whitewashed by NZ.

Daemon

Indeed. It's between India, SA and England depending on your away/home preferences.

flibbertyjibber

India are very strong at home, if they start putting in some decent away performances instead of rolling over for a tummy tickle they will be a clear number 1 like South Africa became. England are good at home and decent away bar Asia but seeing as they count for nearly half the tours that is a pretty huge hole in the sides performances. South Africa I think will have good and bad performances as they seem to have quite an old side and lots of injury prone players, no doubting the talent they have at their disposal but how often can they get them on the park?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There is no real #1 side in the world, tbh. It all depends on where the game is being played. Forget the old Aus/WI champion vintage, we dont even have the early 2010s India,England, RSA level clear #1 right now. Just by points and series I guess for now, India are but I dont really think they can even compete well in Aus or Eng while there is every chance of us being blown away in NZ and RSA as well. Similarly for England, they are not gonna win in the SC anytime soon but they are not gonna exactly lose in other countries either, except maybe Aus. I guess I am gonna end up saying RSA for now coz they have won in Aus which no other team is really managing to but their poor home record makes it tough to argue for them too. Pak are good at UAE and managed to draw in England but otherwise, nothing flash overseas at all. And Misbah and Younis are not getting any younger. So its really hard to even argue against the ICC rankings at the moment. Every team has its strengths and weaknesses and it all depends on where the games and series are being played.

Heboric

International Debutant
Series that would be delicious now

England v SA home and away
India in NZ
India v Pakistan home and away
NZ in Bangladesh
Ashes in Australia
SA in SL

and of course Australia in Bangladesh for the lulz
South Africa have won their last series in Sri Lanka after Smith and Kallis left. Plus they have won their last series in Pakistan. I think they havent lost a series in the UAE either.

Its only the last series in India that they did terribly.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
It's obviously South Africa, but I guess we'll have to wait for them to win in England again next year before people start to acknowledge it. Just like in 2011 where England and India were supposedly the two best sides in the world, but not really.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India have better batting, both top and lower order, and spin bowling than South Africa. South Africa have better pace bowling by a country mile. Would be a great contest.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's obviously South Africa, but I guess we'll have to wait for them to win in England again next year before people start to acknowledge it. Just like in 2011 where England and India were supposedly the two best sides in the world, but not really.
England were clearly the best side in 2011 ffs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also I don't think it's 'obviously' South Africa as their batting is still pretty poor. Would be exposed against a side that don't make a habit of collapsing.

smash84

The Tiger King
South Africa have won their last series in Sri Lanka after Smith and Kallis left. Plus they have won their last series in Pakistan. I think they havent lost a series in the UAE either.

This must be a very long time ago. We might as well start counting the team McWarne Aus team then.

Motorwada

Banned

Yeah but they also keep losing home series to England and Oz. Also wasn't that flash in Bangladesh earlier.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. India and England were really good teams who both deserved to be #1 in the times they did. South Africa deserved to be #1 by the time they beat England in England, sure and were probably the best till last year. Its not our fault that South Africa could not put together proper home series wins.