• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best team in world cricket right now

the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't done a man by man comparison but it does appear that England's side has changed a great deal from the 2010 and 2012 feat whereas the South Africa side from 2012 in Australia or even the end of 2014 side which was the number 1 test side is more or less the same except for Kallis and Smith.

Compare that with the England that reached number 1 in 2010-11 - Strauss, Bell, Trott, KP, Bresnan, Tremlett, Swann, Panesar, Prior.
The 2012 side was pretty much the same except Strauss and probably Tremlett who was injured.

I can do a man by man comparison later when I am home and get back to you

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
South Africa's side is not 'more or less the same'. Cook, Elgar, Bavuma, de Kock, Morris, Maharaj and Rabada were not international cricketers 4 years ago.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Can people honestly give a genuine answer to this?

In terms of tests, the 4 or 5 min nations are very good at home and mediocre away. Pakistan recently had a string of successful away series. Culminating in England but I think they have reached their peak and Australia then the rest of 2017 will be tough for them.

India are giants at home but in all honesty minnows away, especially in England and Australia. SA drew a lot in Asia but did they win any series against pak, India and sl? Now they have a team that has a batting flux. Still the away wins in Australia are very impressive this year.

England imo are the best all round side but they have looked all at sea at times this year. I do view their clash against Pakistan as the true heavyweight title but neither side came away as genuine winners, although Pakistan had the upper hand more often.

In odis, I think Australia and India are top, with sa and England doing very well a tier below. Again none of them have successfully built an odi legacy.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa's side is not 'more or less the same'. Cook, Elgar, Bavuma, de Kock, Morris, Maharaj and Rabada were not international cricketers 4 years ago.
This is from South Afriva vs Australia 3rd test 2012

3rd Test: Australia v South Africa at Perth, Nov 30-Dec 3, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Kallis, Smith and Peterson and Peterson aside, 7 of them are still available for test selection and other than AB who is injured, are part of the current test squad. AB would have been were it not for injury.

3rd Test: India v England at Kolkata, Dec 5-9, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

From the England side of 2012 3rd test
Cook, Patel, Bell, Anderson, Finn and Panesar are available for test selection.

Out of those 6, Bell, Patel and Panesar are unlikely to play test cricket again, so that leaves Cook, Anderson and Finn.

3 out of 11 - are part of England's current test squad. For fairness sake let's add Broad as he was very much part of the 2012 side even if not that playing XI.

6 out of 11 - for South Africa + AB who would have been part of the squad.

You can see this anyway you like.

I stand by my point. The England of 2012 is drastically different from the side now. The South African side, not so much

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

In terms of tests, the 4 or 5 min nations are very good at home and mediocre away. Pakistan recently had a string of successful away series. Culminating in England but I think they have reached their peak and Australia then the rest of 2017 will be tough for them.

India are giants at home but in all honesty minnows away, especially in England and Australia. SA drew a lot in Asia but did they win any series against pak, India and sl? Now they have a team that has a batting flux. Still the away wins in Australia are very impressive this year.

England imo are the best all round side but they have looked all at sea at times this year. I do view their clash against Pakistan as the true heavyweight title but neither side came away as genuine winners, although Pakistan had the upper hand more often.

In odis, I think Australia and India are top, with sa and England doing very well a tier below. Again none of them have successfully built an odi legacy.
Hard to when there's no question..........

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The South African side on the other hand, still retains to a considerable degree (AB and Steyn are being considered as they have not retired yet) the same side that became number 1 in 2012 and had the best away record.
Even allowing for injuries, I'd say bringing in 2 new openers, a new keeper, a new middle order batsman and a new fast bowler and spinner to be far from remaining the same to a considerable degree.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

In terms of tests, the 4 or 5 min nations are very good at home and mediocre away. Pakistan recently had a string of successful away series.
I'd be interested to find out what your definitions of string and recent are because the 2 are not compatible in that sentence.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
His definition is very simple.. India and Indians = crap. Pakistan and Pakistanis = awesome. That was just a long-ass post to the same effect. Lol @ India being minnows away and Pak having a "string" of successes away from home. 8-)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think Pakistan still has a lot to offer. Pretty unlucky in that they got the worst of conditions in NZ in the first test, and it being so low scoring, their big advantage in Yasir never had a chance to get into the game.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Even allowing for injuries, I'd say bringing in 2 new openers, a new keeper, a new middle order batsman and a new fast bowler and spinner to be far from remaining the same to a considerable degree.
As I said earlier, comparing with test squad and not Playing XI because that can change match by match. You can have a situation in the future where both Rabada and Abbot are injured, Steyn back and South Africa play with Steyn, Morkel and Philander, which is the exact same bowling attack as 2012.
Already conceded that Smith is gone, so 1 new opener already conceded for, and Elgar was already a part of the side in 2012.

You could quite easliy have this side

Elgar,
Bavuma
Amla
AB
Du Plessis
Duminy
De Kock
Steyn
Philander
Morkel
Shamsi/Maharaj

compared with

Smith
Peterson/Elgar
Amla
Kallis
AB
Du Plessis
Duminy
Peterson
Steyn
Philander
Morkel

Now tell me how different the sides are.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think Pakistan still has a lot to offer. Pretty unlucky in that they got the worst of conditions in NZ in the first test, and it being so low scoring, their big advantage in Yasir never had a chance to get into the game.
Not unlucky I'd say, this is precisely the type of test that they hadn't been exposed to after their disastrous SA tour in 2013. Onus is on them to prove that they can handle those conditions. Yeah they did well in England, but that doesn't completely answer the questions.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As I said earlier, comparing with test squad and not Playing XI because that can change match by match. You can have a situation in the future where both Rabada and Abbot are injured, Steyn back and South Africa play with Steyn, Morkel and Philander, which is the exact same bowling attack as 2012.
Already conceded that Smith is gone, so 1 new opener already conceded for, and Elgar was already a part of the side in 2012.

You could quite easliy have this side

Elgar,
Bavuma
Amla
AB
Du Plessis
Duminy
De Kock
Steyn
Philander
Morkel
Shamsi/Maharaj

compared with

Smith
Peterson/Elgar
Amla
Kallis
AB
Du Plessis
Duminy
Peterson
Steyn
Philander
Morkel

Now tell me how different the sides are.
Good opening batsmen and good allrounders are like hens teeth, so the absence of both Smith and Kallis makes a huge difference.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I think in ODIs, while Starc remains fit Australia are the indisputable champions. Starc is the best ODI bowler since Garner or at least Akram and has a habit of running through sides (see the last world cup). He's really that good in that format.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not unlucky I'd say, this is precisely the type of test that they hadn't been exposed to after their disastrous SA tour in 2013. Onus is on them to prove that they can handle those conditions. Yeah they did well in England, but that doesn't completely answer the questions.
Maybe, but Comme De Garconnes Pour Homme + took a six wicket bag. Pretty extreme IMO.

smash84

The Tiger King
This