• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
West Coast will win tonight, and Scotty West will take the Charlie Sutton and the Charlie Brownlow.

7 B&Fs and a Brownlow, remembering he was robbed in 2000.

archie mac

International Coach
SirBloody Idiot said:
West Coast will win tonight, and Scotty West will take the Charlie Sutton and the Charlie Brownlow.

7 B&Fs and a Brownlow, remembering he was robbed in 2000.
I have tipped Brisbane, but I also tipped Richmond :wacko:
West has had a great season, but in recent season it has been going to top 8 sides. I think Crawford was the last to win it, in a very average team.

If he was robbed in 2000 what happened to Corey and Grant? I think under the new rules they would have escaped with some naughty points.

King_Ponting

International Regular
**** you West Coast. Just put a halt on brisbanes run. Hopefully it is just a blip on the radar and we'll be back on track and back into the eight in no time.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Atleast we put up a fight in the last quater. Dissapointing to lose, but we should whip Essendon next week...atleast i think that's who we're playing. I'm not thinking too much of this loss though, West Coast are an awesome team, and i'd rather lose to them than to Carlton or Collingwood.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
That's like saying, "yeah, Carlton are so crap that they've managed to win a league-high 16 premierships.."

The times-are-a-changin', as Bob Dylan once sung.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Super Saturday my a**. I was so hyped for this Saturday, and saw two beltings and two decent games, but far from anything special.

Richmond were absolute sh*t after quarter time. I am p*ssed off with our effort today. 5 goals in the whole game, 1 after half time. Wet weather or not that is downright pitiful. And losing Gaspar was even more irritating. What is it with us and losing players when the game is lost? We lost Browny in the last quarter when we had no chance in hell of coming back to beat Melbourne, and now Gaspar. It just rubs salt in the wounds. At least they say Gaspar's hamstring injury isn't too serious and it should only be one or maybe two weeks. I so see Tredrea kicking a bag on us next week. No Kellaway and no Gaspar. We're downright stuffed. Our draw is still good though. We still have to play Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn which are winnable. Western Bulldogs we can also beat. Being relatively optimistic, if we lose to Port, Geelong and Freo (thats winnable to if we get Gas back) and beat the 4 teams mentioned earlier, that'll still give us 13 wins, which should be enough without percentage being an issue. Still, going to be a tough road.

Port, other than Chad Cornes, were garbage against Geelong. They're done. Even if they do somehow manage to make the 8, they'd only squeeze in in 8th position which would mean an away knock out game, and so I don't reckon they'll make it too far.

Disappointed Brisbane didn't beat West Coast, but at the same time I'm not bothered too much since it helped Richmond out. What the hell has happened to Melbourne though? 4 losses in a row? They were pretty much grand final favourites a month ago with many saying they'd probably beat West Coast at the MCG on the lastday of September. Wow hasn't that changed.

Hopefully some how Adelaide lose tomorrow, unlikely though unless the Doggies play running football for 4 quarters.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Makes me wonder what the highest ever score in the dream team is. I reckon this game would be close for Carey (at least since stats on all these things have been kept): http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1996/MENM19960726.html

22 kicks, 9 handballs, 15 marks, 11 goals, 2 behinds and 3 tackles. 209 points.

He also racked up 170 against Hawthorn in 94 and 166 against Essendon in 99. I don't think I've seen anyone else break 150 in the time I've been following the dream team competition.

edit: Lockett in 95 against Fitzroy: 18 kicks, 3 handbals, 12 marks, 16 goals straight. 192 points.
Sorry to rack up an old post, but with Bartel getting 183 this week, and Aker's 173 a couple of weeks ago it once again sparked up my interest in what is most likely the highest score a player would have received under Dream Team had it been running then.

I know Benchmark mentioned Fanning kicking 18 goals in a match, back in 1947. However I don't think stats are available for that game, and if they are I'm not sure where to find it. But Dunstall's got 17 goals 5 behinds back in 1992. He would have been close. Coventry's 17.4 and 16.5 would also be up there, as would McKenna and Hudson.

Lockett who kicked 16.0, which is phenomenal really against Fitzory back in 1995 would have scored 196 - http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1995/FISY19950813.html

Still, that 209 points by Carey looks unbeatable.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I checked out some of the big scores by full-forwards, and they usually ran close but didn't break 200. Carey kicked plenty of goals in that game, but it's the 31 possessions and 15 marks that put him out of reach of most other players.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Have you checked performances similiar to Bartel aswell, 30odd possessions, a heap of tackles and a few goals

Hoggy31

International Captain
I'll estimate Fanning's stats

18 goals = 108 pts, 1 behind = 1 pt, at least 19 kicks = 57 pts, and probably around 15 marks = 45 pts, 3 handballs = 6 pts, 2 tackles = 8 pts..

All added together it equals 225 pts

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Was a pretty enjoyable game to watch as an Adelaide fan today. Everything went really nicely, with Welsh and McGregor dominating up forward, the midfield firing and the defence conceding only five goals for the match. Neil Craig countered the Bulldogs running game from the backline perfectly, and the pressure on their ball carrier was so intense they never got any kind of movement through the midfield.

Sunday next week is shaping up nicely, with Adelaide playing the Kangaroos and Sydney playing Brisbane.

Hoggy31

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Was a pretty enjoyable game to watch as an Adelaide fan today. Everything went really nicely, with Welsh and McGregor dominating up forward, the midfield firing and the defence conceding only five goals for the match. Neil Craig countered the Bulldogs running game from the backline perfectly, and the pressure on their ball carrier was so intense they never got any kind of movement through the midfield.

Sunday next week is shaping up nicely, with Adelaide playing the Kangaroos and Sydney playing Brisbane.
Prepare to lose swine..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Linda said:
P.S. Happy 200th Benny!! :)
He was brilliant against the Lions. What a way to celebrate his 200th. Dominant.

Considering I have money on Aker for the brownlow, I'm shattered that Cousins, clear favourite for the medal, had such a great game. But I just watched on in awe as to how great he was.

Also, didn't Goodwin done his hammy against the Bulldogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.