• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameeel

International Captain
Carlton did well for a while in the second quarter Roberthino, however at 3QTR time its

Carlton: 9.12 - 66
Geelong: 15.9 - 99

Only 3 scoring shots difference, its just geelong are more accurate, Fev has 5 though

cameeel

International Captain
Full time at Telstra Dome

Geelong: 22.11 - 143
Defeated
Carlton: 10.13 - 73

Goals GC: Ablett, Thurley 4, Ottens 3, S.Johnson, Milburn 2
Singles to Byrnes,Corey,Enright,Gardiner,King,Kingsley,Rooke

Goals CB: Fevola 5, Waite 3, Koutifedes 2

Full Score GC: 6.3 10.5 15.9 22.11(143)
Full Score CB: 0.5 6.10 9.12 10.13 (73)

BoG by ranking points was Gary Ablett(143) and Darren Milburn(143) both from Geelong

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is the message from Pagan getting a bit repetitive for the Carlton boys? I mean, I couldn't see any Blue-baggers having a very long attention span....

cameeel

International Captain
Maybe, but Denis Pagan is a proven premiership coach, so maybe its about time the public blamed the players for their shocking performances, rather than scapegoating the coach every time a team fails to deliver

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm not blaming Pagan, I'm blaming the players for being stupid and having a "short attention span". By the way, heard Hawks got off to a flyer...

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Whoa, checked the score just then.

1st Quarter - Hawks 7.4 46 to Melbourne 1.1 7
Half Time - Hawks 9.7 61 to Melbourne 7.4 46

Good to see the Dee's getting some back.

Craig

World Traveller
cameeel said:
Maybe, but Denis Pagan is a proven premiership coach, so maybe its about time the public blamed the players for their shocking performances, rather than scapegoating the coach every time a team fails to deliver
And I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes the management of a team or the press needs to look at the players who are not playing well and maybe are not actually worth their pay cheques?

cameeel

International Captain
Craig said:
And I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes the management of a team or the press needs to look at the players who are not playing well and maybe are not actually worth their pay cheques?
Absolutely, have a look at Wayne Brittain being sacked from Carlton
Maybe he wasnt a great coach, but the fact is the so called elite level players who are paid 100's of thousands of dollars to play football didnt do their job, sack some players, trade them or delist them, just dont blame the coach, he cant run onto the field and give them a boot in the a***

cameeel

International Captain
Final Score from the MCG

Hawthorn: 19.14 - 128
Defeated
Melbourne: 13.11 - 89

Goals HH: Williams 8, Roughead,Franklin,Everitt,Dixon 2
Singles to Brennan,Clarke,Taylor

Goals MD: Green 4, Davey,Sylvia 2
Singles to Godfrey,Holland,T.Johnstone,McLean,White

Full Score HH: 7.4 9.7 13.12 19.14 (128)
Full Score MD: 1.1 7.4 10.7 13.11 (89)

BoG was Mark Williams from Hawthorn

The dees seemed to struggle with no big man to kick to up forward, missing both Miller and skipper Neitz, as well as that Holland failed to deliver when he was needed, finishing with only 1 goal when his team really needed him to fire. Hawks started exetremely well in the first quarter before letting Melbourne back in in the second, before they ran away with it in the last term, disapointing display from melbourne and doubtless they'll cop it from Neale Daniher. Williams continues his amazing goal kicking form, with a lazy 8

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Im watching a delayed telecast (despite an early sellout ARGH!) and the West Coast- Saints came is looking one sided... Gardiner ON FIRE!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone watching Adelaide and Brisbane?

I don't think I've EVER seen a team win a quarter so absolutely in every area except the scoreboard.

97 possessions to 77, won every clearance but one, more than double the inside 50s, Rutten smashed Brown with 6 touches and 3 marks to 1 kick and a handpass from full back, and ruling the midfield. Edwards has 15 touches to quarter time, Ricciuto 12 and Skipworth 10, and Skipworth got almost all of his inside 50.

All that, and the Brisbane lead 2.0 to 1.2 at quarter time. Adelaide seem to be a top 4 side in every area except inside 50. Major problems there to address for Neil Craig.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
:D

I'm up against my only serious opponent in Dream Team this round, so Lappin, Black and Power better continue ripping it up!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Anyone watching Adelaide and Brisbane?

I don't think I've EVER seen a team win a quarter so absolutely in every area except the scoreboard.

97 possessions to 77, won every clearance but one, more than double the inside 50s, Rutten smashed Brown with 6 touches and 3 marks to 1 kick and a handpass from full back, and ruling the midfield. Edwards has 15 touches to quarter time, Ricciuto 12 and Skipworth 10, and Skipworth got almost all of his inside 50.

All that, and the Brisbane lead 2.0 to 1.2 at quarter time. Adelaide seem to be a top 4 side in every area except inside 50. Major problems there to address for Neil Craig.
Much to do with Adelaide playing a **** brand of football. And don't say that you don't have any good big forwards to go to. If you back your forward line in, then the results will come. Geelong made a preliminary final with a worse forward line than Adelaide has. Teams think that because they don't have a Lloyd, Brown, Tredrea, they can't score goals and have to choke others. When you've got guys like Burton, Skipworth, et al, you kick long, give them a chance to take on their opponent one on one, or go to Perrie and get the smalls in the game and back them to get crumbs and goal. **** brand, ****.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Much to do with Adelaide playing a **** brand of football. And don't say that you don't have any good big forwards to go to. If you back your forward line in, then the results will come. Geelong made a preliminary final with a worse forward line than Adelaide has. Teams think that because they don't have a Lloyd, Brown, Tredrea, they can't score goals and have to choke others. When you've got guys like Burton, Skipworth, et al, you kick long, give them a chance to take on their opponent one on one, or go to Perrie and get the smalls in the game and back them to get crumbs and goal. **** brand, ****.
Yeah, not far from the truth. The problem is that Welsh and Perrie are actually very talented forwards, but they don't seem to deal well with responsibility. When Carey was playing last year Perrie had a great year in the games where Carey didn't play (didn't work well as a team though), with over a dozen marks in one game against Geelong and half a dozen goals against Melbourne or Richmond or something. Welsh had a great year in 2002 when Stevens was strong up forward. When Adelaide back them to lead the attack though, they don't seem to do very well. There's some problems with Adelaide's gameplan, but it's forced by sub-par performances from the forwards when they do get opportunities. Look at Perrie tonight, he's taken a couple of brilliant contested marks and dropped a series of sitters and missed an easy goal.

Craig has developed what I think might be close to the best back six in the competition now, or at least close to it, and Rutten is to this year what Scarlett was in 2003 for Geelong, an absolutely revelation at full back. We also have a strong, consistent midfield, but both our delivery into the forward line and the returns from our forwards when they get opportunities have been consistently poor all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.