• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm with vic on this one. The Saints are an awesome side when things are going their way, but I just don't rate them that highly when the pressure is on, and I can't see them winning a flag this year. In fact, I can see not only West Coast, but also Geelong, Melbourne or even Brisbane or Adelaide winning it before the Saints. I'm just not convinced that they are premiership material yet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm with vic on this one. The Saints are an awesome side when things are going their way, but I just don't rate them that highly when the pressure is on, and I can't see them winning a flag this year. In fact, I can see not only West Coast, but also Geelong, Melbourne or even Brisbane or Adelaide winning it before the Saints. I'm just not convinced that they are premiership material yet.
Adelaide is pushing it, but I generally do agree with you. The Saints did wallop my Tigers last week (:(), but I believe if you put them against a great team, or even a team with more than a few contributors, they will fall. Whenever someone mentions that the Saints are the best (I'm not going to doubt that they're one of the 5 best teams in the league) I just think of the Kangaroos match. Granted they were missing Riewoldt and a few others, but if the opposition puts in a solid performance (Which the Eagles will always do, and Brisbane will in September don't you worry) then I feel they're exposed.

I'm backing Geelong over them this week. Boy that's going to be one hell of a match.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Geelong will get beaten. They're not playing a good enough brand of football at the moment to knock over anyone in form. They're still not playing that differently to the abhorrent display they put on vs Melbourne.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As far as I'm concerned, they're in the exact situation as St Kilda a few weeks back. All the Saints needed was a lift from their midfield, evident against Melbourne where they actually went in underdogs, and they fired. The key for me is a great game from Ling and Ablett. Ling hasn't reached optimum level yet, and if he does I think Geelong are a good chance.

cameeel

International Captain
savage attack on the port adelaide players from coach mark williams after they were belted by richmond on sunday, accusing them of lack of pride in their jumpers and each other, maybe enough to spur a so far lucklustre port adelaide into action, or to harsh? any opinions?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cameeel said:
savage attack on the port adelaide players from coach mark williams after they were belted by richmond on sunday, accusing them of lack of pride in their jumpers and each other, maybe enough to spur a so far lucklustre port adelaide into action, or to harsh? any opinions?
Lets hope not:D

But seriously, i think that will be enough unfortunately for our boys who play them this week in adelaide. They just have too many quality players not performing at the moment, theyre going to kick into gear sooner or later.

cameeel

International Captain
hopefully not yet though, id rather see the kangaroos play well than port, particularly given its our towns footy jumper

cameeel

International Captain
Port must be tougher: Choco's mum
4:24:27 PM Fri 6 May, 2005
Alan Shiell
Sportal for afl.com.au

Mark Williams has revealed his mother, Von, has given him some coaching tips in the lead-up to Port Adelaide's clash with the Kangaroos at AAMI Stadium on Sunday - Mother's Day.

"She talked about making the most of the opportunities and also playing tough footy, and we didn't see tough footy last week - it was weak - so we need to show that this week," Williams said after Port's lively, vocal training session at AAMI Stadium on Friday.

"She's very much a critic. There's no doubt she doesn't accept performances like that (the 56-point loss to Richmond at Telstra Dome). I know the only (Mother's Day) present she'll be satisfied with is a win for us."

Asked initially whether his mother, who is 81, had given him any advice ahead of Sunday's game, Williams said: "Always. I suppose with Dad not here now, she's carried that through, so all his wonderful coaching tips have come through, as well.

"She goes back to old times and old days (when Williams' late father, Fos, was captain-coach and later non-playing coach of Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL), and even as recently as last year.

"She wants to compare with that and I think all our people do. She's as dedicated to the cause and as committed to us improving and making the finals as anyone."

Paying tribute to his mother and the mothers of all footballers, Williams said: "Mum's always sitting up there as I walk past at every home game and giving me a bit of a pat and encouragement. It's a wonderful thing.

"Footballers in the past have had their dads have a kick with them but, in general, I reckon their mums are the ones who have taken them to the games and got their boots and oranges ready, and all that sort of stuff.

"I know in my case, without Mum, I would never be where I am today. I'm thinking all of us have really relied on our mums to help us."

And in a direct message to Port supporters about Sunday's game, Williams said: "It's a special day to celebrate them, give them a cup of tea, tell them how much you love them and then bring them to the footy and see Port win - what a great day!"

cameeel

International Captain
bit sad one of the so called toughest teams being given advice by the coaches mum, not very good for the macho image

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
I was going to say Ball, and to a lesser extent Hayes, are good at hardball gets, but I was torn between making a balanced post and not bringing myself down in a ball of flames. I chose the latter.And yes, you don't have to lecture me on how good Ball is, I went to school with him. Yes, they'll be good, but I think the brand of football played by the Demons, WC and others make them more attractive propositions to me, than the Saints. And they have the worst coach in the competition, football-brain wise.
Oh, the arrogance! :blink:

Like going to the same school as him gives you a better idea of how good he is at footy?!

Btw, Judd played for Caulfield in the same year! Would have been interesting seeing the xav - caulfield match, two stars in the making :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Great game in the making at the MCG right now. Adelaide dominated the early stages, but kicked poorly and Melbourne came back to be in front at quarter time. Melbourne looking very strong off half-back, and Robertson might well be a problem up forward, with 4 first quarter marks.

cameeel

International Captain
Robertinho said:
Oh, the arrogance! :blink:

Like going to the same school as him gives you a better idea of how good he is at footy?!

Btw, Judd played for Caulfield in the same year! Would have been interesting seeing the xav - caulfield match, two stars in the making :D
it would if he had played with him at school depending on what year they were together in

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Closing in on 3/4 time now and Adelaide are up by 4 points in a game which has seen just 6 goals apiece so far. Hasn't been a scrap or anything and the skill levels have been good, but the defensive efforts from both sides have been fantastic.

Neitz and Robertson have 10 marks between them for Melbourne and have both been in the game, but only one goal each, and for Adelaide no forward has been able to get on top. Adelaide dominating general play especially through the midfield, with Goodwin, Ricciuto, Burton and Thompson having heaps of the ball. Going to be an excellent finish.

cameeel

International Captain
3QTR Time at the MCG

Melbourne Demons: 7.7 - 49
Adelaide Crows: 6.11 - 47

Burton seems to be the best player for the crows at the moment and Bizzel the best for the Dees

Go Demons!!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I really should stop reading this thread... it doesnt start for almost another hour on tv here. Disasterous.

Status
Not open for further replies.