• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great Birtannia said:
Longmire, Cresswell, Pyke, Harvey, McKenna, Mitchell, O'Donnell.

Plenty of reasonable candidates amongst the assitant coaches. The Saints sacking Thomas this year get the pick of the bunch.
Good call on Bluey McKenna, forgot about him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The sole reason that I'm content for Thompson to coach again is that I don't think Harvey will want to come to Geelong, and there's no-one else who appeals at all as either having enough experience, or having the smarts to coach a side that is at the end of rebuilding.

You can punt on an inexperienced coach when you are about to re-jig your list (e.g. Clarkson - who incidentally I reckon will get the sack as soon as the list is ready for a tilt at the premiership), but not in the situation Geelong is now.

pasag

RTDAS
vic_orthdox said:
The sole reason that I'm content for Thompson to coach again is that I don't think Harvey will want to come to Geelong, and there's no-one else who appeals at all as either having enough experience, or having the smarts to coach a side that is at the end of rebuilding.

You can punt on an inexperienced coach when you are about to re-jig your list (e.g. Clarkson - who incidentally I reckon will get the sack as soon as the list is ready for a tilt at the premiership), but not in the situation Geelong is now.
Geelong are in the same boat as the saints, good playing list not going anywhere.

benchmark00

Barry Mitchell (Bullants coach) will throw his name into the ring I imagine. He was the bloke gunning for Pagans job. Not sure if he'd be a good choice, but he's done good things for Carlton 2nds.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Yeah but Thompson is taking us backwards.

Our premiership window is open until Scarlett retires basically. He turned 27 this year. We will be ripe for a proper challenge in two seasons time when Ablett, Nathan and Tom Hawkins have had a couple of seasons developing as KP forwards.

A rookie coach is going to need a couple of years to develop with the squad. It took Roos two and this year is Craig's second. We need to get rid of Bomber and start the process now, not when he leads us to 10th again next year.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
benchmark00 said:
Barry Mitchell (Bullants coach) will throw his name into the ring I imagine. He was the bloke gunning for Pagans job. Not sure if he'd be a good choice, but he's done good things for Carlton 2nds.
Carlton has the greatest list of VFL players of all time. Prendergast, de Luca, Teague - their whole list is full of ready made 2nds players.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Great Birtannia said:
A rookie coach is going to need a couple of years to develop with the squad. It took Roos two and this year is Craig's second. We need to get rid of Bomber and start the process now, not when he leads us to 10th again next year.
Different situation, where those two coaches were already involved with the club as assistants before taking over. I think it'd be fair to say (as much as I love Kenny Hinkley) that Geelong don't house any assistants ready to take over the top job.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
vic_orthdox said:
I'd look twice at Harvey and McKenna. I'd look one and a half times at O'Donnell.
Personally I would take Longmire or Cresswell. Wouldn't touch Harvey or O'Donnell (cut from the same cloth as bomber) or McKenna with a 40 foot pole.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Different situation, where those two coaches were already involved with the club as assistants before taking over. I think it'd be fair to say (as much as I love Kenny Hinkley) that Geelong don't house any assistants ready to take over the top job.
Roos didn't have any coaching experience at all IIRC. Craig was the crows fitness guru with his sports science theories for a long time, way back to blighty, but I don't see why we have to employ from within. I would sack the entire panel of assistants with Bomber and let the new coach, poached from another club, come up with his own.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Someone who I would also look at - Brett Ratten.

After what's happened last week, there's no way you could have Cresswell. I would be spewing if we ended up with O'Donnell. But in the end, I'd take Bomber over all of them. As a coach, I have few problems with him. The only sticking point, and unless you're in the inner sanctum you just don't know, is the relationship between the players and the coach.

benchmark00

I find it near impossible to think of Cresswell coaching Geelong after what dip **** Scarlett said about him in the paper.

Edit: McNamara - beat me to it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Great Birtannia said:
Roos didn't have any coaching experience at all IIRC. Craig was the crows fitness guru with his sports science theories for a long time, way back to blighty, but I don't see why we have to employ from within. I would sack the entire panel of assistants with Bomber and let the new coach, poached from another club, come up with his own.
Roos had been assistant under Eade. Craig moved from fitness coach to assistant, and had applied for the vacant WCE job that John Worsfold won.

I'm not saying I want a coach from the inside, I'm saying that the transition between two coaches is different in the examples that you brought up than what it would be at Geelong, because Roos and Craig came from within the club, as opposed to a new coach at Geelong in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.