• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didak deserved it over Farmer. Farmer had a good end to the season, that's all people seem to remember. Didak was consistent throughout the year.

cameeel

International Captain
Where the hell is Cameron Bruce??

Hall shouldn't be in there, and Didak over Farmer is an absolute farce.

Scott Lucas, Cameron Bruce and Whitnall should all be in there.

And what is McLeod doing in the AA team?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
I know I can be accused of bias, but by God Simmo is stiff. I honestly reckon he's had a better year than Cox.

How can anyone not agree on Bowden? Didn't earn a possy? He's gunned this season. He's played out of his weight division all year, yet held the forward he's on very well whilst providing the most rebounds outside defensive 50 all year. A key backman getting 20+ disposals yet holding his forward to less than 4 goals is a shoe-in. Only thing you could argue was him on a flank, but considering Whitnall's second half of the year, its not that surprising he missed out. How anyone can say a key-position player didn't earn his possies is fairly ridiculous. Fair enough if you don't like the way the Bowden's play, but accept the run they give is vital to Richmond.

And Sean, I was on the Johncock for AA bandwagon for a very very long time, but his last third of the year was fairly poor to be honest. Who could you argue to be knocked out for him?

Good on MacDonald for making it. Cool to see him in there. Lucas was unlucky but I'm glad he missed, cos now that's 2 years without a Bomber in the AA team. Can bag many friends.
Bowden maybe on a half back flank, but not CHB, because Rutten has played a lot of the year around CHB, and has been better than Bowden.

Keeping an opponent to under four goals a game is hardly a huge achievement for a CHB, considering there are very few brilliant CHF going around. That's 70-80 goals kicked on him if I understand you correctly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
cameeel said:
And what is McLeod doing in the AA team?
Rebounding from half-back like he did all year I presume?
SirBloody Idiot said:
Bowden maybe on a half back flank, but not CHB, because Rutten has played a lot of the year around CHB, and has been better than Bowden.

Keeping an opponent to under four goals a game is hardly a huge achievement for a CHB, considering there are very few brilliant CHF going around. That's 70-80 goals kicked on him if I understand you correctly.
Firstly, if you keep a Lucas or a J Brown to 3-4 goals when they are twice your size and all other defenders around you are either injured or ****, yet get 20-25 disposals yourself, rebound from 50 and set up 4-5 goals yourself, you've done a very very good job. Bowden played key position almost every game this year barring a couple.

And he didn't get 4 goals kicked on him every game obviously. Rutten has had a very good year, but clearly people consider him a FB only. If you put Bowden on a flank you'd have to throw out Bassett, because Gilbee, McLeod and C Bolton all deserve to be there. Maybe put Bolton at CHB like Shehan did, and Bowden on a flank. But Bowden has played against the better forwards this year compared to Bolton, who has had LRT and Barry take the big gun forwards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Had a better season than Bassett by a distance for mine. Crows best after Goodwin and maybe Burton.
To be honest I didn't even notice Bassett there. Yeah Johncock over Bassett for me.
benchmark00 said:
Didak deserved it over Farmer. Farmer had a good end to the season, that's all people seem to remember. Didak was consistent throughout the year.
Yeah I'm with you on that. Didak's start was incredinle (Farmeresque) and has been very good for the rest. Farmer was useless at the start, and only gunned it near the end.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
benchmark00 said:
Did Bowden even have an opponent all year?
Fair enough if you're not a fan of his but seriously...

Other than a couple of games at the beginning when Gaspar was playing, Bowden has taken the best forwards of the opposition all year. Fevola, Lucas, J Brown, Hall, Riewoldt. Just because he runs off them and provides rebound doesn't mean he's not playing key-position.

Only time he absolutely got murdered was against Sydney with Hall, Melbourne with Robbo, and against Essendon in round 6 with Lucas kicking a few on him in the last quarter.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Rutten didn't deserve to make AA this year, but surely someone other than Bowden should be at CHB. The guy just isn't a key defender, simple as that. He should be on a flank. Johncock had basically one bad month towards the end of the season, but aside from that was awesome all year. Did an amazing defensive job on several occasions as well as getting heaps of the ball.

Aside from Johncock, I'd say Lucas definitely deserves to be there. Decent side in general though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
The guy just isn't a key defender, simple as that. He should be on a flank.
But he played one this year, that's the point I'm making. You can't just pretend he didn't line up on the big forwards because he got 20-25 touches himself. Personally, I had him on a flank with Lance at CHB, but Lance has had bigger bags kicked on him and definitely been less creative.

benchmark00

On Bowden, it's not like the bloke went one-on-one with an opponent. Wallace flooded the house down, played numbers behind the ball. That made his job a whole lot easier.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
benchmark00 said:
On Bowden, it's not like the bloke went one-on-one with an opponent. Wallace flooded the house down, played numbers behind the ball. That made his job a whole lot easier.
Who would you have had at CHB?

Last year it was Croad, this year it was Bowden, its clear the traditional CHB role is changing a hell of a lot. Whitnall too played a very diff CHB role and he was everyone's man half-way through the season.

benchmark00

Jono said:
Who would you have had at CHB?

Last year it was Croad, this year it was Bowden, its clear the traditional CHB role is changing a hell of a lot. Whitnall too played a very diff CHB role and he was everyone's man half-way through the season.
Zac Dawson.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I liked the team. Simmonds for Cox and Johncock in the back pocket all that's wrong IMO. Maybe Clement and Farmer could've been in somewhere, but solid overall. Didn't think Bazza would get in, but he's had a good season.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Lol good call.

The Chad was CHB in the 2004 team too. I'm struggling to think of the last CHB who was a traditional man-on-man player.
Did Tom Harley ever get AA CHB?

Croad was reasonably man-on-man last year, wasn't he? (Well, as much as a Hawthorn backman can be).

Status
Not open for further replies.