• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
cameeel said:
Brisbane were entitled to a home final but had to play at the MCG due to the AFL's contract.
I'm a proud Victorian, and even cheered Collingwood over Brisbane in 2002 and 2003 (mind you I was all for Brisbane to clobber Essendon in 2001 :D), but that was a disgrace. It was all the more telling of how brilliant Brisbane were in 2004 that they ought to have had a home final, didn't get one, and yet still fought off Geelong. They should have capped that off the 4 flags in a row instead of letting Port get one. The only saving grace of Port back in 2004 was the coolness of The Chad. Hated their guts then.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
cameeel said:
Anyone else hear them talking on the radio this morning about the possibility of Buckley being suspended? IMO it won't happen, Eddie will give the AFL a call and that will be the end of it.
I hope it doesn't happen, can't be arsed getting excuses from Collingwood fans that had they had Buckley yadda yadda yadda.

I hope the Bulldogs beat them with Bucks.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whats with your Cats losing Jack, and hence making me suffer another year where Richmond end up 9th? I thought that was only for my days as a teenager. :(

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
They had to scrap it after the Brisbane v Geelong preliminary final fiasco in '04.

Brisbane were entitled to a home final but had to play at the MCG due to the AFL's contract.
That sort of thing happened a few times though.

In '02, Adelaide were entitled to a home semi after finishing third and losing to Brisbane, but had to play Melbourne in Melbourne. They won anyway, but it was a close thing, and three road trips in a row couldn't have made things any easier playing Collingwood in the prelim.

pasag

RTDAS
There was that whole fiasco in '99 where Carlton finished below WC but still got a home game in Melbourne in the semis.

On another point as I was discussing last night, I think it would be a great idea for the introduction of Sunday night and Monday night games like in the NFL.

Thoughts?

cameeel

International Captain
pasag said:
Get lost.

This is why no interstate teams should have been allowed. This is what I was saying back in 82 when they changed South Melbourne to Sydney. I knew this would lead to the floodgates being opened in 1987. I yearn for the days when we can enjoy this game without all the interstate ******s yet again.

Thoughts?
You're just bitter cause your team got the spoon...

:cool:

pasag

RTDAS
Any news on the big Calton board meeting tonight? Are they keeping Pagan? Seems like Sticks is causing trouble again.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
pasag said:
Any news on the big Calton board meeting tonight? Are they keeping Pagan? Seems like Sticks is causing trouble again.
Meeting went for 6 hours and they achieved nothing in terms of whether Pagan is staying or not.

Bloody Carlton, can't even hold meetings properly.

pasag

RTDAS
benchmark00 said:
Meeting went for 6 hours and they achieved nothing in terms of whether Pagan is staying or not.

Bloody Carlton, can't even hold meetings properly.
Yeah. Bunch of gimps if you ask me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My 'out of left field' prediction is the Doggies to make a prelim. I have nothing to back that up at all other than just a gut feeling. They could very well get eliminated straight away by Collingwood, and probably 'should' considering their injuries, but I just feel that they can get to the prelim if things fall their way.

The scenario I'm thinking is that they face Freo at Subi in the semis after Freo lose to Adelaide. Now I'm not sure if the draw will work that way, the Doggies may have to face the loser of WC vs. Syd, which would be very tough. Freo would obviously be a tough ask, but I reckon they have the run at Subi to take it right up to the Dockers.

pasag

RTDAS
WB are easily the weakest side in the finals and will get thrashed by a Collingwood side with much big game and finals experiance.

Also, Freo would be overwhelming favorites against Adelaide who they beat only a few weeks ago. I would never underestimate Freo at the moment especially since in the nine games they have won on the trot, many have been against top 8 sides.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Danyle Pearce wins the rising star, killing the competition getting top votes from 8 out of nine judges.

Also, Pagan to stay on at Carlton, not sure if thats good or bad. On the one he has personally seen to the resurgance of Whitnall and Fevola but on the other hand our tactics seem stale. I don't think it's his fault though, its not even the draft picks we missed out on. It is the shocking recruiting that has taken place in the last ten years. Going for semi retired players like Mick McGuane, Mick Martyn, Corey McKernan, Daniel Harford etc etc really killed us and Pagan shouldn't be made scapgoat for this.

Still, we should have never gotten rid of Wayne Brittan in the first place.

Also Graham Smorgan's a crap president. He has no idea what he's doing.

tadeusz

State 12th Man
Jono said:
My 'out of left field' prediction is the Doggies to make a prelim. I have nothing to back that up at all other than just a gut feeling. They could very well get eliminated straight away by Collingwood, and probably 'should' considering their injuries, but I just feel that they can get to the prelim if things fall their way.

The scenario I'm thinking is that they face Freo at Subi in the semis after Freo lose to Adelaide. Now I'm not sure if the draw will work that way, the Doggies may have to face the loser of WC vs. Syd, which would be very tough. Freo would obviously be a tough ask, but I reckon they have the run at Subi to take it right up to the Dockers.
Winner of Dogs v Pies plays loser of Eagles v Swans
Winner of Demons v Saints plays loser of Freo v Crows

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Just got Sydney signatures at the airport. Mark Williams from Hawks was also there and was walking around all confused. Turns out Craig Bolton had his back, and arguing ensured. Bolton eventually realised it wasn't his bag. Awkwardness all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.